🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ~null~
Page options
dsinicrope
Community Member

~null~

I decided to cancel it. There was a contract, but I just didn't feel comfortable doing the job. Ignore thread.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sjbercot
Community Member

Do you have a contract in place that you've clicked the accept button on? I couldn't see it on your profile. If you don't actually have a contract, problem solved. Just tell him you're not the one for the job and stop talking to him.

That being said, it's not really up to you to determine the legitimacy of a client's business. If you're worried you won't be able to satisfy his requirements or he's asking you to do something illegal, you can cancel the contract at any time. It's true he has the chance to rate you (IF you have a contract), but it sounds like he may not rate you well even if you finish the job. It's up to you. But even if the client is having you design logos for other companies or his own clients, he's still not necessarily violating ToS. If he has an agreement with his clients and operates within the rules, he's not doing anything wrong. Just make sure your work and interactions with clients are above board and don't worry too much about their business models.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sjbercot
Community Member

Do you have a contract in place that you've clicked the accept button on? I couldn't see it on your profile. If you don't actually have a contract, problem solved. Just tell him you're not the one for the job and stop talking to him.

That being said, it's not really up to you to determine the legitimacy of a client's business. If you're worried you won't be able to satisfy his requirements or he's asking you to do something illegal, you can cancel the contract at any time. It's true he has the chance to rate you (IF you have a contract), but it sounds like he may not rate you well even if you finish the job. It's up to you. But even if the client is having you design logos for other companies or his own clients, he's still not necessarily violating ToS. If he has an agreement with his clients and operates within the rules, he's not doing anything wrong. Just make sure your work and interactions with clients are above board and don't worry too much about their business models.

It does not matter to me if the client's business is well established, or if the client's business is just an idea in his head.

What matters to me us that the client sets up a valid Upwork contract.

If a client has limited English language ability, that is fine with me.

Convoluted instructions? That is fine, as long as the contract is an hourly contract. I am being paid for my time, so if it takes me longer to understand and execute his instructions, that is fine. As long as I get paid for all my time.

Fixed-price contract?

Convoluted instructions could be a problem.

I don't agree to a fixed-price contract unless I know and understand exactly what the task is.

Then I do the task. Then the client releases payment.

There should be no communication required during the performance of the task, and certainly no "convoluted" instructions. If that happens, then this should be an hourly contract.

If you have been hired for a fixed-price contract, and the client is sending you additional requirements, then you need to tell the client that you will be happy to do those additional things, but first he needs to release escrow funds to you, close the current contract, and create an hourly contract.

I decided to just cancel it. He was sending links to shady websites as well. I decided to cancel it. It's not against ToS for him to suddenly change his business and have me design something that I didn't know I was going to design? Just for future reference.

Good for you that you cancelled the contract instead of putting up with his games.

Is it against TOS for him to change his mind about things and ask you to do do different stuff?

Answer: NO. This is an hourly contract, and you are paid for your time, and he may certainly change his mind about his plans and ask you to continue to help.

Answer: YES. It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work free. If you have a fixed-price contract, it is NOT okay for a client to ask your to do something outside the agreement, without creating a new milestone or contract in order to pay you to do so.

Sorry, I missed that detail. It's not against ToS for him to change his scope and ask you to do it (and you're then free to inform him of any resulting changes to your rates) or to decide he no longer needs the work done. I don't believe he can leave public feedback if no money has changed hands, by the way. But it is against ToS if he intentionally misleads freelancers in his job posting. You can always report him if you think he's committing violations. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members