Can I post (attached in a word document) a transcript of a chat session I had with an oDesk representative (re: Stats), if I erase the name of the odesk worker and any other names etc?
This person just left the chat suddenly, not very professional is it?
Notice: I'm sorry, your Agent has left the chat. If you would like to chat with another Agent, please click the LogOut link below and open a new chat from the website chat link.
Notice: ******** exited session.
It might shed some light on the recent discussions about the new Stats for freelancers and how NO-ONE KNOWS how they are calculated or if they know they are not telling us. We also talked about private feedback, that's when this person decided to abandon the chat...
I could take screen grabs but then this agent's name would be revealed, that's why I copied it onto a word document..
I will not post it if it's against oDesk rules or I am gonna get penalised somehow
I'm not 100% sure, but I do think the transcript would be taken down. If it's any consolation (probably not), a lot of freelancers - including myself - have been experiencing this new trend of "--- exited the session".
I'd like to think that it's due to some Internet connection problem, but it's more likely due to unprofessionalism.
I am sorry your chat session got disconnected. It is due to technical issues. A follow up ticket will be created to make sure all your questions have been addressed.
Thanks everyone, I will not post it.
It wasn't so much about the agent leaving the chat, but more about the conversation regarding the new freelancer Stats, and how they wouldn't answer my questions directly, and how everyone seems to tell a different story. The person was trying to be helpful, but also clearly avoiding replying to my very direct questions by answering with vague sentences.
So in the end I took nothing from it, it's all the same. I still don;t know how to fix my problem with stats. Anyway, I copy and paste here the ticket I submitted. I want answers!
I have applied for 115 jobs in the last 90 days and only got 1 contract. The jobs I applied for were ALL related to my expertise English/Spanish translation. Before, I would get 1 out of 15 applications maybe. Now 1 out f 115???
When I have tried to find out from oDesk why my Job Success score is so low (78%), they have told me different things:
- 1 person told me it was because some of my clients who left GOOD feedback, left BAD private feedback (????????)
- 1 person now tells me it's because I am not having enough jobs and not earning enough money
- Other people (not from oDesk) told me in the Community pages that if I close contracts (because clients ignore you), that's penalized too...
No one gives me an answer. I want to see the private feedback and also I want an answer about how you calculate MY STATS, since it affects my livelihood as I decided to concentrate in freelancing to support myself and now it's really not working just because of this new feature.
Please help me out!!!
Anyway, I am attaching a screengrab of a part of my stats, as you can see clients are not even reading my profile, hence they will never know how good I am at what I do.
1. My assumption for private vs. public feedback for clients is still a work in process. I am not sure if they have to answer the same types of questions as we do. If it is the case, I am assuming that there is a misunderstanding about what the questions mean.
2. There are time when the jobs dry up, or go to freelancers who are underbidding more professional freelancers. I remember from July to August of 2014 getting 0 jobs even though I had applied for like 20.
But 1 out of 115 is rather scary, especially if they are all in your field. I have never been so busy via oDesk and off (non-oDesk clients), and get roughly 1 out of every 3 jobs I apply for here (1 usually is not filled and the other goes to the lowest/cheapest bidder, not quality bidder). Perhaps its the cover letter as well? What was your success rate (jobs vs. applications) before?
3. Closing contracts is, from what I am seeing, a very bad thing to do. Don't do it, as it is NOT your responsibility, it is the client's.
As for your marketing effectiveness, don't forget that it is compared to ALL freelancers in your field (translation and writing, whether Chinese, French or Spanish). Please see attached (I captured that a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't changed).
I completely agree, no one has clear answers for this one. I hope oDesk clarifies this soon.
Sorry you're going through this. It's so strange about you not being hired, because I remember you mentioned in aother thread that you haven't been getting jobs for a long time now, even before the "Job success" stat. I don't see any problems looking at your profile.
When the stats feature was first released, I was also way below average for all fields in "marketing effectiveness". Now suddenly I'm above average but I have no idea what influenced this change. So yours might change too.
"Other people (not from oDesk) told me in the Community pages that if I close contracts (because clients ignore you), that's penalized too..."
- A lot of people including CS has mentioned that ending a contract yourself counts against your profile. I am not 100% sure about this. I have ended around 8 contracts myself (2 of them had no work done at all), but it doesn't seem to have affected me too badly. But perhaps I will suffer for those later! Just make sure that when you contact clients about ending contracts, message them through oDesk so that you have proof.
"1 person told me it was because some of my clients who left GOOD feedback, left BAD private feedback (????????)"
- They probably mean the client left you good public feedback but bad private feedback.
"1 person now tells me it's because I am not having enough jobs and not earning enough money"
- Sounds like rubbish to me. Don't take my word for it though.
Thanks William and Isabelle Anne, I will reply properly to your comments in the morning, as I am tired now , I have spent all day on oDesk trying to work things out... But I have LOTS to say , lol!