Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk Community / Job Skill Discussions

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 4

All replies are more than welcome; nonetheless, I am seeking official replies from oDesk forum moderators or forum system administrators.

First, regarding the "Job Skill Discussions" area and the three topics under the Job Skill Discussions area: IT & Programming, Admin Support, and Design & Multimedia; were the posts already in those areas actually posted there directly or inherited from other areas from which they were actually posted? (Sounds like a dumb question, but it is a valid question for me since I do not have or expect admin access to the forum back-end).

Now, the reason for this inquiry is to discover the intended usage for the Job Skill Discussions area and its three sub-topics: IT & Programming, Admin Support, and Design & Multimedia.

Assisting forum contributors in knowing where to post issues has always been a problem for forum moderators and admins. I think I know how the areas in question could be used for the best long-term repository for information "specific and relevant" (more technical and less administrative) to each area--Maybe attempt to limit posts directly related to the "Categories" established by oDesk as shown in the attached image "categories.jpg" (Access via Freelancer User Settings > Profile Settings | Categories).

It is important for me to mention at this point that I suspect setup and configuration of the new oDesk Community Forum was accomplished by Elance personnel. Why? Because the three three sub-topics: IT & Programming, Admin Support, and Design & Multimedia are all exactly the same as (including the ampersand, "&") the "Categories" established by Elance as shown in the attached image "categories.jpg"

My point? There should be a one-to-one relationship between the sub-topics under the "Job Skill Discussions" area and the categories established by oDesk that are shown in the attached image.

Anyway, if my suspicions are correct, before the areas mentioned above become cluttered with hoards of non-relevant posts, I suggest that oDesk pursue completion of those areas within the forum. In addition, although the oDesk Community Forum does have top level oDesk Community Guidelines, minimal guidelines, especially examples of intended usage, should be established and documented for the Job Skill Discussions area and its redefined sub-topics.

Quite verbose don't ya think? lol.... BTW--Where's that feedback area that was included with the old oDesk forum? Have these issues been discussed before somewhere in the new forum?

Edited 01/08/2015 RT/lwm

Ron aka LanWanMan
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 4

Ronald,

You might be interested to see what we talked and ranted about here a month ago. We opened threads asking why there is no feeback section etc etc (like this one). I remember Garnor said there is no need for a feedback section because people only post personal issues (I don't agree with this) and then on another thread they said they will look into it but no definite time frame was given.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
3 of 4

DM, my recent follow-up regarding the need for a feedback section or equivalent shows that you are correct. Something of that nature is definitely needed.

Ron aka LanWanMan
garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 4

Hi Ron,

Yes, we established the Job Skill Discussion areas so we can start to foster discussions that center on some of the specific Job Categories you'll find in the marketplace. We have plans to build the conversation in these areas and eventually to broaden the list of job categories to match what you see for jobs. We're starting slow.

Nice idea to post specific guidelines for each area to make it more apparent about what types of discussions we hope to see in these areas. We don't want them becoming cluttered either. Generally, anything that's specific to one of these job areas, whether it is relevant to hiring, working, applying or general best practices are well-suited for these sections. 

Thanks,

Garnor

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS