cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk Feedback

Highlighted
Dorothy J Member Since: Apr 9, 2010
1 of 2

One of my pet peeves is the oDesk feedback method.  Once either the client or the freelancer cancels a contract, the freelancer is asked to evaluate the client, rate for informational purposes.  If I felt the client was not as communicative as he should have been, or was not clear on his directions, but stated that I enjoyed working for him, and possibly rated him a 4.0 out of 5...now that client gets to see my rating.  Common sense would tell anyone that a client also wants a 5 star rating, and will be more prone to give a less rating for the freelancer just because he didn't like the rating he was given.  

Our livelihood and the jobs we are invited to considered are predicated on good ratings and just one of these "dissatisfied" clients can drag a very good rating down.  

It seems to me that oDesk has the "cart before the horse".  The client should be asked to evaluate the freelancer, and then the freelancer will be free to give honest feedback to oDesk about the client/freelancer assignment.

Fortunately, I've always received great feedback, but I'll have to admit recently that I was tempted to comment on the unavailability of the client and lack of responsiveness, but chose not to do so, for fear that he would not give me a true rating of the great work I did.

what's the answer?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 2

Dorothy J says: "One of my pet peeves is the oDesk feedback method.  Once either the client or the freelancer cancels a contract, the freelancer is asked to evaluate the client, rate for informational purposes.  If I felt the client was not as communicative as he should have been, or was not clear on his directions, but stated that I enjoyed working for him, and possibly rated him a 4.0 out of 5...now that client gets to see my rating.  Common sense would tell anyone that a client also wants a 5 star rating, and will be more prone to give a less rating for the freelancer just because he didn't like the rating he was given."

ANSWER---> the feedback system is double blind. Meaning, the client won't see that you gave him/her a less than stellar feedback until he/she has left feedback as well. Only after that will your client see what sort of feedback you left or after the 14 days period (in which case the client can't give you a less than perfect rating as revenge unless you click on 'allow client to leave feedback' button). In other words, your pet peeve is simply your misunderstanding of how the feedback system works.

I see that you've been a freelancer here for 4 years. I think it is time to please familiarise yourself with how the feedback system works. It is on the oDesk downloadable freelancer manual and at this link.

More resources:

Getting started as a freelancer

Working with clients

Freelancer resources

Just help yourself by clicking on the links. All the best!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS