cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk, Fix How Contractors See The Client Info

Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
1 of 16
I understand that oDesk is making changes, a lot of them are affecting contractors in a negative way. Now, one of their recent 'upgrades' is affecting clients accounts negativly. I am glad that a client profile shows a hire rate percentage, as well as the number of jobs posted to number of hires, sadly this information is not accurate. I have been hiring on the platform for some time, and in 95% of cases, when I post a job, I hire at least 1 person for that post. Over the past 2 weeks I have had trouble even getting people to apply, and it has nothing to do with the rate, which I tend to leave wide open. Today, I looked at my client profile only to see that is shows I have a 15% hire rate! No wonder no one wants to apply since it seems that I never hire anyone. In the past, is just showed how many jobs you have posted and how many hires you have completed, also how many open contracts/jobs you have. Which was great, now this percentage was added in that messes up the accuracy! So tell me the math- I have - 286 JOBS POSTED and 219 Hires, 11 Active Tell me if I am wrong, but would that not mean I have a 85% HIRE rate and a 15% decline/canceled post rate??? Because of this, I am having to post the same job again and again just to get applicants, which often doesnt happen by the time I need, so the deadline for a project will pass and I will close the post (lately without a hire) which further lessens my hire rate. WTF oDesk!
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
2 of 16
The best way to sugar coat a report or try to mess up a competitor's image is use Percentage without the real numbers. I really does a great job of Misleading readers.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 16
I just saw a job where the client had 85 hires, 89 jobs, 41% hire rate. I have also seen jobs where the client was listed as new in my job feed, but when you look at the job you can see they have hired before.
Community Guru
4 of 16
I can't see where the 41% hire came from. definitely not from the Given 89 jobs and 85 hires. Could be the 41% came from the Number of hirees against the total number of applicants from all the job posted by client? Sure hope someone from oDesk bright boys would come out and enlighten us.
Community Guru
5 of 16
oDesk math
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
6 of 16
If someone posts 100 jobs, hires for only half of them, but hires 2 for each of those 50 jobs, the client would have hired 100 people, but the hire rate would still be 50%.
Community Guru
7 of 16
True
Community Guru
8 of 16
just tested that on one of my client. He has 10 job posting only and 11 hires. As far as I know he has no other posting since he joined oDesk. he has a 59% hiring rate.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
9 of 16
In my math, and probably oDesk's, the two really do not relate. I believe that hire rate refers to how many posted jobs actually end in a hire. That wouldn't take into account how many end in more than one hire. Someone could, conceivably, post 10 jobs, hire 1000 people each for 2 of those jobs, and still only have a 20% hire rate, regardless of their 2000 hires. At least, this is what I thought when I read the OP. Edit: After all, as freelancers, isn't that what we want to know? When I consider a job post, I want to know how likely it is that this client may hire as a result of this job post. The number of times a client's posts result in a hire tells me that better than the number of hires does.
Community Guru
10 of 16
[quote=Robin C.] Someone could, conceivably, post 10 jobs, hire 1000 people each for 2 of those jobs, and still only have a 20% hire rate, regardless of their 2000 hires. [/quote] I got part, that be the case my client hiring rate should have been at least 100% 10 job post 11 hirees for the 10 job posted. At any rate, as I said I hope someone from oDesk bright boys comes out to enlighten us all.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS