cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk, Fix How Contractors See The Client Info

Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
11 of 16
I could be way off. It can be hard to tell with the way oDesk does things. The way I look at it though, the number of hires (11 in your client's case) does not relate at all to the hire rate. It is not part of that equation, which would look more like this: (job posts that result in any number of hires)/(total number of job posts) That top number does not include how many hires. If a job resulted in 1 hire, it gets 1. If a job post resulted in 5 hires, it still gets 1 because the equation is not looking for the number of hires, just the number of posts that result in 1 or more hires. I want to know the number of posts that result in at least one hire in relation to how many jobs the client posts because that tells me how serious the client may or may not be about the post I am looking at. If they only hire for 10% of the jobs they post, regardless of how many people they hire for that 10%, it tells me that their interest in the post I am looking at may not be very serious. If it tells me someone has a 100% hire rate because they have posted 10 jobs and hired 10 people (which is information already given, so it wouldn't be necessary to re-post it this way), that could leave out very valuable information, such as they only hired for one of the jobs they posted, hiring 10 times for it. That means that I would look at the post as though the client clearly had serious interest, as they have a 100% hire rate, but the client actually tends to post quite a number of jobs that do not result in a hire (9 out of 10 in this example), for whatever reason. The fact that the client posts a number of jobs that do not result in a hire is far more valuable information to me as a freelancer than a recalculation into a percentage of the information I already see there: the number of hires and the number of jobs posted. I hope this clears up what I was explaining about the topic. Again, I have no idea if I am actually looking at it the way oDesk is, but this is the way it makes sense to me. Edit: if this is a new feature, well, we know how oDesk new features work; they usually don't.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
12 of 16
[quote=Robin C.]I could be way off. It can be hard to tell with the way oDesk does things. Edit: if this is a new feature, well, we know how oDesk new features work; they usually don't.[/quote] And it seems that the bright boys are having a hell of time watching us trying to decipher these "whatchamacallits". Wonder if ever they would come out and do a show and tell.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 16
Hello everyone, I am Valeria, the new oDesk forum moderator. I forwarded your feedback and concerns to our team for clarification and here it comes: “Hire Rate” on a job listing shows the percentage of jobs posted by a client where they end up hiring one or more freelancers. The number of freelancers hired for each individual job does not affect this rate. This rate is supposed to give freelancers a sense for how often a client fills the jobs he or she posts. So, Robin, you were correct in your explanation of the math and purpose of this rate. However, if you come across any profiles where the “Hire Rate” seems way off, please, report it to support. Thanks,
~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
14 of 16
Okay???!!!??? But just like my example, a client posted ten jobs since he started and hired 1 contractor for each of his jobs posted except for 1 he hired 2 and no other jobs posted. He's Hire Rate is 56% 10 job posted 11 hired So where did 56% came from??? How about a SHOW and tell?
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
15 of 16
I undertand your logic and your math-which makes sense. I can't speak for any other client, but like I mentioned, in 95% of all jobs I have posted (not counting the last 2 weeks), I have made at least 1 hire for each of those postings, which still makes oDesk math wrong if they are going on hires per each job posted and not hires total. I think we can pretty much all agree that this is another bug in the system, but it is one that is slowing down my hiring process. I even thought about looking for talent on Elance-that is until they got hit with huge denial of service attack that has the site down.
Marouen S Member Since: Jul 22, 2010
16 of 16
Buggy! Even the oDesk infos are wrong Smiley Happy 5028 Jobs Posted 1% Hire Rate, 31 Open Jobs Over $50,000 Total Spent 3273 Hires, 358 Active
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS