Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Members
Featured Contributor

oDesk Forcing To Work At $4 Hour | A Request To oDesk!

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Power Member
22 Posts

oDesk Forcing To Work At $4 Hour | A Request To oDesk!

[ Edited ]
You guessed it right! Like some of you I am part of an "experimental" program where I am forced to work at $4 hour, even if project require me to simply copy paste some stuff. Now why is this not good in my opinion? :- Not every one is covered in this. For example my friend just joined oDesk, he have privilege to get same job that I wanted just because he can apply at any rate he wants. I know about 20-30 people who does research and lead generation like me + Data Entry as well and only 2-3 of them are stuck in this "experimental" program. Which implies majority aren't. Funny part - oDesk isn't doing this with people with bad reviews or new ones. Nope! This is happening with any one randomly! I have great reviews and I honestly earn good amount every month because I have handful of great clients. (But they wont last forever and I soon will need new jobs!) Still I am stuck in this program. None of my client ever gave me great ratings because I ask them, they give me because I earn them and after 8 months of happily working on oDesk and completing 1700 hours, this is what I got! The oDesk's Min Wage Program. Support says I have no choice either to work Fixed Price (For which oDesk provides no support but takes 10 percent) or work at $4/hour (really?) Same happened with my friend from Bangladesh 7 months ago, he contacted support he was told this may end in March or April. It didn't (Bad for me) What can I and you do (If you dont like this) : - As we know there are folks who apply at 10 cents per hour (I ain't joking) I believe min wage is needed. While some of you may disagree with this, I believe 10-50 cents per hour is not fair at all. So, coming back to point :- we do need a min wage but it should be lower then this. I believe $2 or $2.5 is what oDesk shall start with. Or something else that can be unanimous. We should form a group and should contact oDesk with our feedbacks. I believe when we contact individually it isnt making the difference it should. And I believe if we make a group and request to oDesk. It may help! I believe they will get us. Let me know what you all think?
Community Guru
710 Posts

Do you honestly consider

[ Edited ]
Do you honestly consider rates that are lower than $4 ph to be a good thing? Is that worth your time? Can you honestly live on that?
1 Posts

Minimum Wage

[ Edited ]
I'm in the US and I have to charge larger as well. Especially when oDesk is taking the 10% out. However, I also have to say, give the contractors a chance to show you they can be fair. I've had contractors hire me for very low wages, but when the job was complete, if they were well pleased with the work, they added a bonus. They have that option and if you are hired by an honest contractor who respects you and your work AND wants a continual working relationship, they will pay out bonuses. What I don't like is taking on Fixed Price projects and it not counting towards your number of hours on oDesk. I see posts all the time that require anywhere from 100 to 500 hours on oDesk and if, financially speaking, you are a freelancer who needs the money Fixed Price projects affords you, then you have a problem landing contracts because you do not get credit for all the hours you have in on oDesk.
Power Member
22 Posts

Reply 1

[ Edited ]
1.) Yes $4 is high for simple tasks such as copy paste. 2.) $2.5 seems max fair and better. 3.) Yes, in fact, Indians, Filipnos, Bangladeshis, Macedonians etc which form majority of oDesk contractors in whole, and do such basic jobs make good and can live good on that! As I see, you are a Telephone Operator + Music Industry Professional based in UK, even if we don't talk about location here still your skills are quite different then what we are talking about here + my point also was that not every one is included yet and that gives privileges to those who are not covered!
Community Guru
710 Posts

Well, the job titles on my

[ Edited ]
Well, the job titles on my profile don't tell you everything. A lot of the roles I complete online include some element of data entry and research, so I actually do work in a similar field. My skills aren't entirely different. I was just curious to know what other freelancers live on in other countries.
Community Leader
144 Posts

My humble opinion...

[ Edited ]
I'm actually glad that someone can live on $2.5/hour. Unfortunately, I'm from Italy. I simply CANNOT afford a similar wage. I have to charge, AT VERY LEAST, $5. And that's still a starving wage for my country standards. I understand that copy/paste is a very simple task, but It's still a task, and I wouldn't be able to take it for less than $5. That being said, I think there will always be similar issues, being oDesk an international platform. Different countries, different wages... About the "selective" minimum wages program, I must agree with you. I think it should be applied to everyone, or not applied at all.
1 Posts

Loosing in Bid

[ Edited ]

I agree that $4 should be applied to everyone. I have been bidding sometime now, but I could not land a single job. Those who got the job there bid are $0.80 to $3. I cannot keep up with this freelancer who bid low. Clients are always looking for the lowest bidder instead of quality.

I can see it in the job post " Looking for lowest bid under $0.5, if you can't bid low don't apply."

Community Guru
708 Posts

It's unfair

[ Edited ]
It should be applied to everyone.
Community Guru
1,094 Posts

Cheating Yourself

[ Edited ]
If you cannot compete at $4 an hour and strive to want to make more money then honestly you should be looking elsewhere for work. Even if you are in a country with lower economics, you should always try to do your best and strive to earn more. Think about what you could do with $4 an hour vs .50c an hour and how much less work you would have to do. I applaud Odesk for testing this and think it should be across the board. It would force people to look at who is qualified rather then who is the cheapest.
Community Guru
710 Posts

Exactly, Suzanne. I don't

[ Edited ]
Exactly, Suzanne. I don't like that oDesk attracts a lot of these clients who basically exploit freelancers. I mean yes, it's entirely up the freelancer if they wish to apply, but I still think that it's wrong to hire someone for $0.50, $1.00 ph etc. I mean seriously, it takes about a dollar just to switch on your PC. In the early days, I actually had clients who approached me and asked me to work for $1 an hr. Their justification was that 'the job is very very simple'. So? I don't care if the job involved simply typing numbers into a spreadsheet, freelancers have to pay for electric, internet connection and then there's your time and labor. These clients need to get real! If they decide to roll out this minimum wage type system, then it will weed out the type of clients that I mentioned above.