Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: oDesk customer care is not as impressive as it was

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aloke T Member Since: May 5, 2015
1 of 55

I absolutely liked oDesk customer care a few weeks ago but now things have started to change. I am active on oDesk for over a year with all five star feedbacks. I recently earned a Top Rated badge from oDesk. One day I noticed that a client had invited me for a job and then withdrew the invitation in less than two hours - I didn't even get a chance to accept or decline but it affected My Stats page negatively - "Replied to 20 out 21 Invitation". I never missed an invitation - accepted or declined within 24 hours. I can't be expected to respond to every invitation immidiately and if client withdraws it - it should not be negative for me. I am busy on some other projects and I have updated my oDesk status as "Not Available". Today I noticed that my profile says "90% Job Success". I have all five star feedback and I completed all jobs successfully. Clients never had complaints. oDesk customer care tells me that private and public feedbacks are different - that's the most stupid thing I have ever heared. This rating system is not transparent - as they rate me on feedback I don't know of. Further, why would a client say that a job is not successfull privately to oDesk and then rate me five star. Also, it was 100% a week ago - I haven't accepted any jobs for a month and there is no new feedback - how can it come down to 90%. Instead of looking into possible technical issue - they just gave a copy-paste response. I am a basic member and I somehow have 62 connects today.

oDesk is breaing things now.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 55

Aloke, 

I do believe anything rated privately below a 9 on the private feedback of "Would they recommend you" is considered unfavorable.

You can read a bit more on that in this thread

http://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/What-exactly-is-private-feedback/m-p/78349#M33485

And I don't believe if it is showing you missed one (think it is a bug) if they pulled the invite before you could reply in the 24 hours it counts against you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 55

Hi Aloke,

In addition to link provided by Suzanne, I should point out that your Job Success score will not include ratings for jobs that have gone past the 24-month period. That could be one reason why your score has changed recently without any new activity.

Regarding responsiveness to job invitations. We do have a bug that is mistakenly showing 1 invitation missed, even though it was withdrawn by the client. We have this slated to be fixed. In the meantime, please note this stat does not show to your clients and this is not detracting from your Job Success score. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 55

Here's the link to our Help Article that gives more information on Job Success score.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 55

Dear Sir, thank you very much for taking time to respond.

I have to say that this private feedback thing is totally annoying. I had respect for oDesk but UpWork can't seem to keep up. Why would a client leave five star public feedback and poor feedback in private. I didn't accept any jobs for 8 weeks because I was busy - no contracts ended, no new jobs but still my job success % dropped to 90%. 

Attached a screen-print of my profile. 90% job success - that means I screwed 4 out 43 jobs but I still have five star rating and a top rated badge. It may be small but I am really frustrated by the fact that I don't know how this 90% was calculated.

And I still have 62 connects. Something is seriously wrong here. That's why I hate fixing things that work just fine.

Regards,

Aloke

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 55

Hi Aloke,

I know the private feedback system can be a bit tilting but many freelancers share the same sentiment as you do. A client may leave a 5* public feedback and a negative private feedback to avoid conflict with the freelancer (or many other less desirable reasons).

90% JS score does not mean you did bad on 4 of the 43 jobs mentioned. JS score uses a complex calculation (which is unknown to us) involving several different metric. And that point is a sore topic here in this forum.

One way you can come by 62 connects, is if you applied for a job that was cancelled by the client or Upwork last month and did not use any this month ([+2] +60 = 62).

None of this solves your problems or makes it less frustrating, I am just shedding some light on your concerns.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Ace Contributor
7 of 55

That's what I hate - the unknown. Feedback system should be transparent and crystal clear. If a client didn't like me for some reason - I have right to know. If oDesk wants to know and keep it private and confidential - they have all the rights to do so but then it should not affect my public profile. It should either be private or public, not both.

Highlighted
Dee D Member Since: Jul 2, 2015
8 of 55

Yes, but regardless of how the Job Success score is calculated, that specific language is going to lead the client to believe that those other 4 jobs were unsuccessful.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 55

@Aloke T wrote:

Dear Sir, thank you very much for taking time to respond.

I have to say that this private feedback thing is totally annoying. I had respect for oDesk but UpWork can't seem to keep up. Why would a client leave five star public feedback and poor feedback in private. I didn't accept any jobs for 8 weeks because I was busy - no contracts ended, no new jobs but still my job success % dropped to 90%. 

First as Garnor said above, anything older that 24 months does not count toward your feedback. Being calculated on a 24 month basis means every month a two year old record falls off the chart and your score is recalculated. 

Attached a screen-print of my profile. 90% job success - that means I screwed 4 out 43 jobs but I still have five star rating and a top rated badge. It may be small but I am really frustrated by the fact that I don't know how this 90% was calculated.

One of the exit questions a client is asked is "How likely are you to hire this contractor again." Now consider you had an old client 2 years ago, who was new to Odesk, only intended to use you once and would have no need to hire you again. They may answer this as "VERY UNLIKELY" since they have no intention of returning to Odesk. They simply needed a short job done and they were gone. They took the question literally. That would greatly affect your score.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 55

I am not even 24 months old on oDesk (upwork) and even if I was - I don't have any less than five star feedbacks.

About exit questions - that's exactly what frustrates me. Why does oDesk not let me know which client didn't want to hire me again. If I knew, I will contact the clients and make it up to them and if they misunderstood the question, I will explain and ask them to fix it. I hate all this private, misterious and hidden feedback nonsense.

I still have 62 connects and now another annoyting thing started. I am busy on something else and I have set my profile to Not Available. I have denied 4 invitations since yesterday. When I am Not Available, I don't expect a job invitation - and I am still getting them and wasting time in declining them. If I don't decline in 24 hours, this stupid system will spoil my responsiveness rating. oDesk is really broken now. 

It used to be a great place to work.

Edit: I just received another invitation. See attached. I had a chat with customer care and they told me that clients can still invite me while I am NOT AVAILABLE. Another stupid feature, if I am not available then I am NOT AVAILABLE. I don't want any job invitations that why I set my status to NOT AVAILABLE. I can set status to AVAILABLE and not apply to any jobs is the same thing if I keep getting new job invitations in NOT AVAILABLE status. Looks like oDesk requires someone like me to assess and fix lot of stupid things.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS