Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk customer care is not as impressive as it was

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aloke T Member Since: May 5, 2015
11 of 55

Another bug? I got an Id verification email today. My Id was verified over a year ago and I already own a top rated badge.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
12 of 55

Hi Aloke,

Setting your profile as unavailable does not block all the invitations. However, if you do not respond to invitations while being unavailable, it does not count against your score.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aloke T Member Since: May 5, 2015
13 of 55

Valeria, thank you for this information. I contacted customer care and raised this concern and they didn't tell me that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 55

re: "I contacted customer care and raised this concern and they didn't tell me that."

It is counter-productive to use Upwork Customer Support as a source of information about Upwork or how the Upwork user interface works.

You should not go to Customer Support to ask questions like this.

You should search for information in the Upwork help section's information files and you should bring questions to the Community Forum.

I am not suggesting that Customer Support "shouldn't" provide information. I am stating that the best use of your time and the best way to get accurate information is to avoid using Customer Support for that purpose.

Customer Support should only be used for pushing buttons that you have absolutely no access to.

Going to Customer Support to ask questions is like going to McDonald's to ask about your diabetes medication. You might get an answer. But is that really where you want to get information? When you go to McDonald's, order a burger, and let them hand you a burger. Don't ask the workers there a bunch of questions.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
15 of 55

@Preston H wrote:

Customer Support should only be used for pushing buttons that you have absolutely no access to.

Going to Customer Support to ask questions is like going to McDonald's to ask about your diabetes medication. You might get an answer. But is that really where you want to get information? When you go to McDonald's, order a burger, and let them hand you a burger. Don't ask the workers there a bunch of questions.

Using customer support to get a coherent answer on a question regarding basic site functionality is NOT like going to McDonalds to ask about diabetes medication. It's more like going to McDonalds to order McFries. So what you are basically saying is that when you go to McDonalds, and walk up to the counter to order some fries, don't expect the poor chap to understand your request. Of course we wouldn't accept that with McDonalds, but somehow with Upwork we're supposed to? No. Counter proposal: Use support for what it's there for, to help you and support you. That is one of the things that we pay the 10% service fee for.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 55
Krisztina, I appreciate your heartfelt response.

I agree with you. Because you are talking about what Customer Support should be like.

But I wasn't talking about that topic.

I was talking about how we, as contractors, should interact with Upwork Customer Support as it currently exists.

Not as we would like it to be.

What Upwork Customer Support should be like in an ideal world, and what it actually is like, are two different things.

Contractors can attempt to ask questions at Upwork Customer Support "based on principle", or they can search Upwork help documents and/or come to the Community Forum and get answers that are helpful and more likely to be accurate.
Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 55

@Preston H wrote:
Krisztina, I appreciate your heartfelt response.

I agree with you. Because you are talking about what Customer Support should be like.

But I wasn't talking about that topic.

I was talking about how we, as contractors, should interact with Upwork Customer Support as it currently exists.

Not as we would like it to be.

What Upwork Customer Support should be like in an ideal world, and what it actually is like, are two different things.

Contractors can attempt to ask questions at Upwork Customer Support "based on principle", or they can search Upwork help documents and/or come to the Community Forum and get answers that are helpful and more likely to be accurate.

So to stick with your example, expecting the McDonald's rep to serve fries when fries were ordered and paid for is somehow living in an ideal world? I don't think so. It has nothing to do with principle. How do you suggest CS is improved when we stop holding it accountable and absolving it of all responsibility? Do you really think it will magically fix itself over night? Or could it be that it's just not broken enough yet for Upwork leadership to take action? And if that is the case, isn't it to the benefit of the entire platform to sort through that quickly? Whenever I google oDesk, all I get is hits with disgruntled customers who complain all day long about CS and their horrible experiences with the CS team. How long do you think will it take for Upwork to get the same kind of search results? Perhaps that's helpful for your business model, it sure as hell isn't for mine. Not to mention that I have an open ticket for well over a month now with absolutely no resolution in sight. It's one of those things where CS just has to push a button, but there is so little accountability, that they're currently not even capable of that. Do you suggest I browse the help files?

Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 55

re: "Whenever I google oDesk, all I get is hits with disgruntled customers who complain all day long about CS and their horrible experiences with the CS team."

Yes.

All of these people agree with me in my criticisms of Upwork Customer Support.

You can look through dozens of threads in the Forum and see that I am uniformly consistent on this topic. If you compiled everything I have said about Customer Support I doubt that you would find anybody (including yourself) who has been more critical of CS than I have been.

Please do not mistake my advice to contractors to avoid using Customer Support as a recommendation that Upwork Customer Support should not improve.

I sense that you are displeased with the quality of Upwork Customer Support.

You consistently seem to share my opinion about the current level of quality of Customer Support, but you are not separating my practical advice to contractors from ideas about how Customer Support can be improved.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 55

@Preston H wrote:

re: "Whenever I google oDesk, all I get is hits with disgruntled customers who complain all day long about CS and their horrible experiences with the CS team."

Yes.

All of these people agree with me in my criticisms of Upwork Customer Support.

You can look through dozens of threads in the Forum and see that I am uniformly consistent on this topic. If you compiled everything I have said about Customer Support I doubt that you would find anybody (including yourself) who has been more critical of CS than I have been.

Please do not mistake my advice to contractors to avoid using Customer Support as a recommendation that Upwork Customer Support should not improve.

I sense that you are displeased with the quality of Upwork Customer Support.

You consistently seem to share my opinion about the current level of quality of Customer Support, but you are not separating my practical advice to contractors from ideas about how Customer Support can be improved.

Preston, I must've misread your posts then, because what I derive from them was that we should stop contacting support and instead come to the community or check the FAQ. And while in many cases that is undoubtedly the most efficient approach, I still can't wrap my head around how CS can ever improve if it's not even fit to answer basic questions for which copy/paste answers work perfectly. If basic questions can't be answered, they'll never be fit to answer questions that are truly worthy of contacting CS for because they're the type of questions that only CS can answer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
20 of 55

@Krisztina U wrote:
Or could it be that it's just not broken enough yet for Upwork leadership to take action? And if that is the case, isn't it to the benefit of the entire platform to sort through that quickly?

Or could it be that it's quite broken enough for Upwork management to take action, and they're not? Of course it's to the benefit of the entire platform to sort through that quickly. And it's not our job: It's management's job. Moreover, I think Preston is in part saying that customer service, whatever its problems, is not improved by asking them for advice or information on things such as policy questions, where the answer can be obtained more quickly and reliably through other means.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS