Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk customer care is not as impressive as it was

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
21 of 55

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Or could it be that it's quite broken enough for Upwork management to take action, and they're not? 

Best,

Michael

Management take action? ROFL That's not part of their long term plan. 

They do not listen, ask for feedback, consult with clients or freelancers, and I seriously wonder if they have a clue about what is going on. 

The people who loaned them the money for the overhall of this platform should start doing some due dilligence. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 55
There are active efforts to improve customer support. It is not easy. Very hard to make the numbers come out right. Mostly an economics problem, more than a tech problem.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
23 of 55

@Preston H wrote:
There are active efforts to improve customer support. It is not easy. Very hard to make the numbers come out right. Mostly an economics problem, more than a tech problem.

I've been hearing this for 9 months now. The baby is overdue. Do you have any evidence that this is actually happening? How do other, much bigger and faster growing, companies manage to offer decent support? It's not surprising that the economics don't make sense when every ticket needs at least 60 minutes of copy/pasting before the question is even understood. I am sure that a significant portion of the tickets could be solved in well under 10 minutes. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
24 of 55

@Jean S wrote:

The people who loaned them the money for the overhall of this platform should start doing some due dilligence. 

As oDesk and Elance have failed to reach profitability, and as their venture capital financing has extended and increased, the presence of venture capital representation on the board of directors has also increased. It is reasonable to believe that due diligence has been done, that the merged corporation was merged at venture capital's direction, and that the merged corporation receives—at the very least—its strategic direction from its investors. There are indications that the investors are deeply involved in the management and even micromanagement of the company. As with many buyers here, they know exactly what they're getting for their money, whether we like it or not.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
25 of 55

Preston wrote

"It is counter-productive to use Upwork Customer Support as a source of information about Upwork or how the Upwork user interface works.

You should not go to Customer Support to ask questions like this."

Preston, 

I know you mean well and want to help, but it's actually not the first time you have advised people to avoid Customer Support about certain questions, and I really don't think this is a good idea. 

In this post for example, the OP had shared his experience about a Live Chat session that didn't go well when he asked the rep why his balance was negative. Your reply was:

Preston wrote

"Nick, you should not be taking questions like that to customer service. Bring your questions to the community forum. Do a search here, and ask a question if you can not find the answer.
You will get better results that way.

Avoid using customer service unless it is for something that can not be done in the forum, such as handling account review or financial suspension issues."

The OP had not even mentioned whether or not he had searched the forum or checked the help section for answers, yet you were very quick to assume that he did not do so and advised him to not contact Customer Support for such questions but to look for answers in the forum instead. I don't see why the OP should get better help asking people in the forum about his negative balance? How could we possibly know for sure there was no technical issue behind it? It's not like everything is flawless around here. Wouldn't it be better for him to simply ask Customer Support and get a reliable answer?

Like I said before, I know you mean well and want to help other users the best way possible and it is appreciated, but sometimes, your replies give the impression as if the forum is the best place to find a question when in fact, it is not.

Excusing reps for not providing a service and saying to other users not to expect too much is also not helping anyone. Like when Isabelle expressed her frustration about a random response she had received and you answered her that she "assumed" that the rep chose a response at random, and then followed up with several excuses as to what may or may not have been the case with the rep. Not everyone has the luxury of time to sit here and guess if a rep is capable of reading, or chooses a response based on color or on the amount of mouse clicks, etc. I found your comment very funny because of all the possible explanations you gave, but for someone like Isabelle in this case who is in need of help, giving such responses is really not helping.

No one here complains for the fun of it, but because we care and want things to improve. If everyone acted as if everything is OK, then nothing would ever change. 

I am sorry Preston, but people need to be able to contact Customer Support for other things than just account reviews or financial suspensions. There is a reason why Upwork encourages its users to contact Customer Support, so please don't discourage people from doing so. If the pressure is too big now, how will Customer Support handle things when more people start migrating from Elance to Upwork? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
26 of 55

Great comment! 

Woman Very Happy

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aloke T Member Since: May 5, 2015
27 of 55
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
28 of 55

Going to Customer Support to ask questions is like going to your Doctor with an illness and he types all the keyword symptoms into the computer and cuts and pastes your diagnosis and emails it to you.

They should know the answer but keywords do not always give the right answers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
29 of 55

I think the main problem here is in deeply unfounded assumption that somehow this community is uniquely qualified and competent to solve the problems. It is not . Everyone can post when and if they want to;  we are not professionals paid to be CS  and some posters can give  advice with terrible consequences (such as close your account  and then open a new one if you need to change the name.) Mods can't be expected to pick this up all the time and why should they? And by the time they do, person can already act on given advice and head in the wrong direction. Also even mods can't help with accounts-they  can just forward the information to CS. Giving someone incompetent advice (and often unintentionally) is worse than not giving them advice at all. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
30 of 55

Reading through the comments from the article, one can realize that the writer and most of the posters are getting what they paid for. People need to understand the meaning of the word value. Alot of them recognize that they get shafted when they opt for the cheap way out, but keep doing the same thing. Why? Because it is cheaper wages. No love lost for them there. Many things need to be fixed, but cheap clients is one of the systematic problems also.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS