Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk customer care is not as impressive as it was

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
31 of 55

@Natasa M wrote:

I think the main problem here is in deeply unfounded assumption that somehow this community is uniquely qualified and competent to solve the problems. It is not . Everyone can post when and if they want to;  we are not professionals paid to be CS  and some posters can give  advice with terrible consequences (such as close your account  and then open a new one if you need to change the name.) Mods can't be expected to pick this up all the time and why should they? And by the time they do, person can already act on given advice and head in the wrong direction. Also even mods can't help with accounts-they  can just forward the information to CS. Giving someone incompetent advice (and often unintentionally) is worse than not giving them advice at all. 

CS is also quite capable of giving terrible advice with serious consequences. Most CS workers, in all industries, are paid at or close to local minimum wage, They work from scripts, and may lack even a basic understanding of the industries they represent. Though most of us are not professionals paid to offer customer service, we may well be professionals in our respective fields, and are professionally self-employed, and likely are demonstrably more competent to answer questions about how to conduct one's business, or even about site policies and procedures, than the typical customer service rep. Sending someone to a questionable source for critical information is not to be preferred to sending them to a documented source (such as the published terms of service).

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
32 of 55

I respectfully disagree because, again, you assume that every poster here is professional and that everyone will refer the person with problem to TOS. Beside the fact that the question might be something that doesn't exist or isn't explained properly in TOS  it opens up, in my view, a lot of room for misunderstanding, confusion and amateurism not to mention that the person who needs help  can be led astray by totally incompetent advice.Moreover, the person  who gave wrong advice can't be held accountable for it in the sense that s/he might lose job or bear some other consequences of giving the wrong information (maybe banned from the forum in the worst case scenario but nothing else.)   But you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am entitled  to mine. The argument you gave here-again, in my opinion-doesn't stand but I respect your right to think that way.

Highlighted
Community Guru
33 of 55

@Natasa M wrote:

...you assume that every poster here is professional and that everyone will refer the person with problem to TOS.

I do? News to me. Happy posting!

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
34 of 55

I was referring to this:"Though most of us are not professionals paid to offer customer service, we may well be professionals in our respective fields, and are professionally self-employed, and likely are demonstrably more competent to answer questions about how to conduct one's business, or even about site policies and procedures, than the typical customer service rep."

So I agree that maybe it was a wrong word choice-instead of every it should be "  you assume that it is more likely that the posters here are professionals and that they will refer the person with problem ..."All in all, the essence of what I wanted to say remains the same-it is still just assumption (in my view.)

Happy posting to you as well.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
35 of 55

Customer service is only as good as who trains them. It's also only as good as the company and if the company doesn't believe in ongoing training (for example), then the reps won't have up to date info and they always get the blame. Not to say there aren't reps working for a good company that supports them that don't belong in the job though. There's always a black sheep in every team. 

Another thing to add is that we as customers have a tendency to put down csr's if they can't help us get our bills straightened out or if we can't help them with some technical issue that we aren't qualified to take on, or if we don't give them something for free because new customers get free things... maybe in the case of the Upwork CS team there have been freelancers and/or clients that have not gotten the results they wanted and decided that all Upwork CS sukz and wage an ongoing war against them. Sometimes what is common sense to the customer or client isn't common sense to the company and customer support can only do so much. I'm sure they're coached for every little thing they do and most likely wouldn't want to be coached for any minor infractions so they don't step outside of the box to help customers. 

Again though, not all customer service reps are everything to everyone. Doesn't mean it's all their fault though. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
36 of 55

What gives you people the right to take away feedback that is 24 months old?  When the contractor does the work you have no right putting your grubby fingers into their profile!!!!!  This platform is already stealing 10% of earnings and they want to make it worse by screwing around with contracts that were completed favorable?  This is disgusting.  YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!  This could very well lead to legal issues. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
37 of 55

What is really sad is that CS use to be fairly decent and tickets taken care of in a short time before the changes started. Customer Service is sorely lacking. I have worked enough call centers, customer service jobs to know that they are trained the way most large companies train. Go to the Help files and copy paste. Their most likely told not to detour from the script or cut and paste.

The bad part is there is no follow up half the time, tickets are closed without answering or with answers that have nothing to do with the issue. I am sure some of you remember when I posted about my feedback being removed.That ticket tooks weeks to follow up and the answer I was given was that it was a technical issue and had been resolved. 

It was never resolved, as it was not a technical issue. It was closed after that remark and never responded to again. The only reason I know it was not a technical issue is a discussion in the forum that one of the mods finally stated that it was normal practice when a contract was merged. I never did get that answered or resolved. The feedback from my client went poof and I got to bad to sad that is how we do things.

There are many things "Not" in the Help files such as the above example which we were told would be added but it is still no where to be found.

Customer Service needs to be allowed to be a human not a robot and taught to answer questions, or at least say "I don't know, but I will be more then happy to find out for  you", but this is not what happens. 

I could go on and on about what customer service does wrong and how it could improve. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
38 of 55
This has been my statement also, human beings should not function as ROBOTS. It defeats the purpose of getting things done.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
39 of 55

@Suzanne N wrote:

Customer Service needs to be allowed to be a human not a robot and taught to answer questions, or at least say "I don't know, but I will be more then happy to find out for  you", but this is not what happens. 

Yes, the rare instances where one encounters such a customer service culture are not only effective and, one would think, best business practice, but a welcome relief from the norm,

We get some of that here (not entirely consistently) from the moderators and community managers, when they acknowledge problems and pledge to seek answers and/or solutions, including directly from engineering.

Best to all,

Michael

p.s. None of my comments here have been specifically about Upwork's Customer Support, with which I have little experience.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aloke T Member Since: May 5, 2015
40 of 55

----------------
Going to Customer Support to ask questions is like going to McDonald's to ask about your diabetes medication.
---------------
All I have to say is that this is most 'ROFL' post here and can't be farther from logic. I had a question about my availability status and I asked customer care - I DID NOT ask about diabetes medication - I am not even diabetic. **edited for Community Guidelines**- it used to be so much better. This is why you should avoid fixing things that aren't broken.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS