cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk has automatically hidden some applicants who may not be a good fit for your job

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
11 of 118
This is a terrible idea. First, clients should be able to decide who is a best match for their posting... not oDesk. Second, the algorithms oDesk has been using to match freelancers to jobs have been a fail to date. Ever check how unrelated the 'suggested' profiles are in the bottom right of your own profile? Or, the recommended freelancers after I post a job? They are out to lunch and are not even a close match to what I'm looking for. This new feature is absolutely not a smart move for many reasons. oDesk management have some interesting ideas, but their execution is making things worse and worse.. I seriously hope they remove this feature asap. I've even seen profiles with the new purple guarantee buttoh who have no experience, below average rest scores and ratings so low I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole...
Highlighted
Sultana R Member Since: Apr 14, 2013
12 of 118
This is a terrible idea. First, clients should be able to decide who is a best match for their posting
Highlighted
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
13 of 118
It explains so much, I usually land just about every post I apply for, I was wondering why I was not getting even an interview the past 2 weeks. It is crazy since not everyone wants to put everything they can do on their profile, more so if their profile is already FULL of abilities. Rubbish adding to more rubbish in oDesk.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
14 of 118
Is someone actively trying to run this place into the ground? o.O This is probably one of the stupidest updates so far - actually *hiding* applicants that have wasted time and effort to apply to the job. In vain, apparently, if oDesk's almighty algorithm decides that your profile is not a match. I don't have a client account and I can't see for myself if the hidden results are actually a good match or not, but judging from the "recommended jobs" on my feed, I doubt this algorithm will work as intended. I don't see how this is a good move for anyone - clients won't see some of the good applications, a good portion of contractors will be discouraged to keep trying at all because of too many unanswered applications, oDesk will make less money. Stop dumbing down the process by automating it; you work with real people, not potatoes that can be sorted by a machine.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
15 of 118
Am I to believe from this that when I apply to a job, I don't even know if the client will get to see my application? The mind truly boggles. It's like the postman opening job application letters and deciding whether to put them in the bin or deliver them
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
16 of 118
My guess is that oDesk instituted this brilliant system to try to eliminate spam applications. To continue with the analogy, that's like trying to reduce junk mail by setting the mail bag on fire then only delivering the mail that isn't completely burned.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Waqas T Member Since: Feb 7, 2011
17 of 118
This sounds like a terrible idea. Contractors who spent *time* to write their applications can now get hidden /just because* oDesk algorithm thinks they should... why even bother with letting the contractor apply for the job then? Let the contractor apply for the job, even when the algorithm is set to have the application hidden... sounds stupid, and a waste of contractors time.
Highlighted
Donna D Member Since: Mar 20, 2013
18 of 118
I forgot where I read this but when oDesk started, the founders matched clients to freelancers. Then they realized that clients didn't like the matches and they wanted to find their own freelancers. I forgot the exact words of the founder but he said something like they then opened the gates and let clients and freelancers find each other. Why then are they bringing this back?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
19 of 118
I don't know much about the legal aspects of this, but I wonder if matching clients to contractors brings oDesk into the territory of being a recruitment/employment agency, and liable to laws applicable to recruitment agencies. I'm thinking about how oDesk is being very careful to not allow us to keep too much money in our accounts to avoid being considered a bank; oDesk considers itself just a platform where clients and contractors can meet, form contracts with one another and exchange money, and therefore not liable to banking rules. Well, if oDesk wants to, legally, be treated as nothing more than a platform where clients and contractors meet, they can't start manipulating that. Once you start controlling who meets whom, you are moving from being a platform to being an agency, and agencies are regulated. Maybe this was part of the reason this was changed to begin with.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Waqas T Member Since: Feb 7, 2011
20 of 118
... It seems that somebody is really trying very hard to burn oDesk to the ground.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS