cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk has automatically hidden some applicants who may not be a good fit for your job

Highlighted
PRADEEP C Member Since: May 30, 2011
21 of 118
Very wrong decision by odesk. A contractor can not even know he is applying for a job that will never show to the clients. A waste of job application. Its not oDesk's duty to sort out contractors on behalf of clients. What I guess it will not work properly to sorting out contractors with the help of algorithm. Different clients have different needs, they will not always mention these criteria when they post a job. Probably the algorithm is just working like "Recommended jobs" that we contractors can see in our account. Have you applied any jobs from the Recommended jobs? Most often you will get the jobs that are old enough to apply, very cheap rate or jobs that you are not looking for at all. So its better to let the client to select and sort out the contractors. Please remove this feature.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
22 of 118
Is this true? Is it still happening? How can I know if I'm getting hidden at a particular project?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
23 of 118
Yes it is true, it will also stay on the platform, and you have no way of knowing if the client sees your application or not.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
24 of 118
I was getting almost one invitation per day, and suddenly they stopped coming. I didn't get a single one since them (I got one from a former client, which I asume didn't have to search for me). Nothing really changed on my side. Completed a couple of works but reviews were good. I wonder if I'm being hidden. Does this apply to searchs too?
Highlighted
Yuriy P Member Since: May 29, 2013
25 of 118
It happened also that one client has heavily deteriorated my rating, so probably that's why. For me it's extremely frustrating to write (spend my precious time) applications in vain.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
26 of 118
Maybe oDesk has adjusted search, too. My search position has gone down but I thought it could be because I have not been applying for jobs and declining invitations.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
27 of 118
I really don't understand how search positioning works. It seems random but the order is consistent so it isn't. I watch the list and can't make any sense of the order. Also, it seems that people from completely different skill sets slip in when you try to filter.
Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
28 of 118
I just posted a job and the best candidate was hidden! LOL. Their bid price was about what my budget was, they had done almost 2000 hours and had 4.98 overall feedback. Then when I unhide that candidate and sort the list of candidates on "best match" they were at the top of the list!!!! LOL. WTF is the problem with oDesk implementing crazy features that don't work all the time!? This feature just makes my life as a client more difficult!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
29 of 118
I've never hired on oDesk, so I don't know what clients see from their end, but it seems from this discussion that you have some sort of "hidden" button that you can click on to see more candidates. Is this made obvious to you? Is it possible that a client might not even be aware that there are hidden candidates applying to a job?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
30 of 118
The hidden button is there and easy to see and it says how many contractors are hidden. Last time I posted a job it was invitation only and the 4 people I invited were automatically hidden. Absurd. I still have an outstanding ticket about that. It took about 5 rounds of trying to get them to understand what I saying before it actually went to tech support. My point to them was that if the contractor is invited to the job then they should never be automatically hidden. Not sure why that escaped the programmers.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS