cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk is blackmailing me !

Highlighted
Jasmin I Member Since: Feb 10, 2012
1 of 25
Excuse me for my bad English, but I think you all understand what I have to say. Its been a year since I worked on oDesk and have gained a good reputation from the feedback of my clients. Here is the BIG issue I am facing now:
  • One of my clients did not reply for weeks
  • I've stood in the place, could not continue to work without a task;
  • Tried contacting him but he was busy, traveling a lot, as I understood;
  • I could not accept other clients / projects either because I was tied 30hrs/week;
  • during 1 week I let the oDesk Team client running and collecting the money.
  • I know it was a mistake but what would you do in my situation? After that comes oDesk reaction. Financial suspension of account and famous blackmail: YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE BLOCKED UNTILL ALL OF YOUR PROJECTS ARE COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY. ONLY AFTER WE WILL RECONSIDER TO UNFREEZE YOUR ACCOUNT AND ENABLE YOUR PAYOUTS. Since my projects may last for months, seemed horrifying to work for months for nothing. I contacted my client and explained the situation and apologized for time spent, with the promise that I'll refund every cent of which have not worked. He was not against it. What would you do ?
    Highlighted
    Community Leader
    Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
    2 of 25
    Why not end contract from your side.
    Highlighted
    Nitin Kumar S Member Since: Jun 9, 2014
    3 of 25
    Well there is a flip side of your story. I guess first you scammed the system by billing hours and doing NO work. So isn't it right move from oDesk to strictly warn you about that. No offence but having a good history doesn't guarantee for a good future too.
    Highlighted
    Community Guru
    Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
    4 of 25
    Well, 'blackmail' is a bit of an exaggeration. From what you mentioned, you billed the client without producing any work. Of course oDesk will have something to say about it. It breaks the rules. If a client is non-responsive for a while, I would just accept other work in the meantime. You're not tied to any one client. You choose contracts as you please.
    Highlighted
    5 of 25
    Yes but can't you read between the lines? oDesk does not care for employers.
  • If the acc is blocked then my employer will be damaged because the job is not finished
  • If the acc is blocked then I will be damaged because I can not accept new jobs and probably pay off my money The only good that will come out of this situation is oDesk with its 10% of my work/ employers money. oDesk is not a concern for us oDesk is not a concern for employers oDesk is all about 10%
  • Highlighted
    Community Guru
    Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
    6 of 25
    [quote=Jasmin I.]Here is the BIG issue I am facing now:
  • One of my clients did not reply for weeks
  • I've stood in the place, could not continue to work without a task;
  • Tried contacting him but he was busy, traveling a lot, as I understood;
  • I could not accept other clients / projects either because I was tied 30hrs/week;/[/quote] Who said you were tied? From the moment he stop responding you were FREE to get other contracts. [quote=Jasmin I.]
  • during 1 week I let the oDesk Team client running and collecting the money.
  • [/quote] During 1 week you stole your client's money, day after day. A client being unresponsive is not a reason to cheat; it's a reason to move on. What did you do while the oDesk team was running? It needs activity to bill.. EDIT: I think I found the answer to my question auto-click? [quote=Jasmin I.]I know it was a mistake but whaid would you do in my situation?[/quote] It's a mistake you repeated for 1 week. Didn't you feel bad? [quote=Jasmin I.]After that comes oDesk reaction. Financial suspension of account and famous blackmail: YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE BLOCKED UNTILL ALL OF YOUR PROJECTS ARE COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY. ONLY AFTER WE WILL RECONSIDER TO UNFREEZE YOUR ACCOUNT AND ENABLE YOUR PAYOUTS. [/quote] This is the consequence of your actions [quote=Jasmin I.]Since my projects may last for months, seemed horrifying to work for months for nothing.[/quote] It's horrifying to see how some people easily cheat. [quote=Jasmin I.]I contacted my client and explained the situation and apologized for time spent, with the promise that I'll refund every cent of which have not worked. He was not against it.[/quote] Not surprised. Why would he be against getting his money back? [quote=Jasmin I.]What would you do ?[/quote] Talk to your clients, tell them you can't continue working for them, and offer to work for another 2 weeks so they have time to replace you.
    Highlighted
    Community Guru
    7 of 25
    Jasmin, oDesk is not to blame here. You broke the rules, so there are bound to be repercussions. If the client wasn't responding for a while, you should have just applied for other work. If the client eventually contacted you and didn't like the fact that you started other contracts, you would just explain that you had to take on other work because you didn't receive a response. You have options. I hardly think that the client will be affected. They can easily hire another freelancer if they choose to. If you didn't bill incorrectly then your account wouldn't have been frozen.
    Highlighted
    Community Guru
    Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
    8 of 25
    I fail to see how "I could not accept other clients / projects either because I was tied 30hrs/week" when you currently have THREE jobs. Apparently you could take other jobs. Your argument has no basis. You charged for hours of work you did not do. Be a man and take the punishment. Repay the debt and move on.
    Highlighted
    9 of 25
    now I see majority of speakers here are oDesk people, At least I am glad that I inform community of contractors what to expect while working for odesk.
    Highlighted
    Community Guru
    10 of 25
    What do you mean by 'oDesk people'? You mean that we work directly for oDesk? If that's what you mean, this isn't the case. We're freelancers trying to make a living like you and contribute to discussions in the forums.
    TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
    TOP KUDOED MEMBERS