cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk is the land of Digital Poverty....where every Jack and Jill is an expert!

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
11 of 18

I'd like to see oDesk get rid of the basic, intermediate and expert categories and replace it with a dollar value so that the client can pick the range he or she hopes to pay. I often see someone picking expert but then I see the budget is no where near what I would view as expert pay.

Having a pay range would go a long way towards helping me decide which projects to apply to and which to ignore.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
12 of 18
Totally agree with Gyan and David. A numeric or dollar rate value range is a better categorising system and saves time. Just this past week I must have wasted 10-15 hours entertaining clients who after much discussion turned out to be unable to afford my rates (not something I could have seen based on their hiring history).

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
13 of 18

oDesk is a global platform and the standard of living isn't the same everywhere. So it's best if oDesk does away with the vague tiers and brings back  the numeric range specifier.  Alternatively, if they insist on keeping the three tiers, they should provide benchmark figures for those tiers in each category by surveying the profile rates of active freelancers in that category. So clients and freelancers are on the same page regarding expectations.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 18
Sorry guys, but I like the tiers the way they are, without putting a bunch of restrictions in place or requiring specific ranges.
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
15 of 18

Development, be it online or offline isn't about country. I mean, if I'll move to Germany or France next year, should I ask for $30 per hour instead of $15? Just because of a geographical change?

I don't think so.

The capability of doing something is, or should be, the sole parameter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I dislike the concept of "minim wage" altogether. If people want to sell themselves for a nickel, they should be free to do so. But there should be a message when posting a job: "$10/h gives you this, $20/h gives you that, etc.".

If someone is looking for a bargain, sure, no problem with that. I'm sure that serious developers won't be content living their lives with bread and water with a house made of clay and straws.

And, as I said before, computing equipment has the same price. Hell, in my instance, it's cheaper to buy it from the United States than from Europe. Cars have the same price everywhere, fuel is much more expensive in Europe, software licenses have the same prices (and from an expert you expect he has all his software bought, not torrented).

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
16 of 18

Gabriel, I'm not saying you should get paid more or less depending on your location. But because oDesk is a worldwide platform, to implement a minimum wage for experts would require getting the world's average of expert programmers or developers.

The OP is from Australia, where the minimum wage is $17+ per hour compared to Afghanistan's minimum wage of $0.50+ per hour. I know this isn't programmer rates but it gives you an idea of the huge difference.

Yep, i know technology is still expensive. When the iPhone 6 was released in England, it turned out cheaper to fly to America to purchase one and fly back.

Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
17 of 18

Just a little on-topic illustration. Recent job post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

We are hiring a full-time technical support.

Requirements:

1. Familiar with basic networking concepts
2. Familiar with different computer equipment and technology devices (PC/Mac/iPad/Android/Xbox/PS3/ ...)
3. Must have at least two of the following devices:
a. iOS device
b. Android
c. Xbox 360
d. PS3
e. Apple TV
f. Any other device you might have. Please mention this on your message.
4. Excellent command of English in reading, writing, and speaking.
5. Familiar with Teamviewer
6. You must have a flexible schedule because we have shifts.
7. This is a full-time position. You cannot work at another job if you want to work with us.
8. Must be available on weekends.
9. $3/hr

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Competent tech support, anyone? 3$ per hour, you won't find a better rates, hurry and apply!

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
18 of 18

Ha ha ha, yeah. Because at $3/hour you're bound to have Playstations, XBoxes and all the i-products you could ever dream.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS