cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk not viable for several countries (US, Canada, etc)

samthewebguy
Sam H Member Since: Dec 26, 2013
1 of 8
Can anyone explain how someone from, say, the US, is supposed to make decent money on oDesk? Most jobs pay a fraction of what someone in the US with any self-respect would expect to earn at any particular job. I have a slew of skills and there's just no way I can reasonably perform any of them for such low amounts of money ($25, $50) when the services I'd be conducting are worth hundreds, if not more. Any suggestions?
cameronjoseph
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
2 of 8
First thing is your Overview does not read that well. The money is out there. I don't see that much in your Profile that shouts 'hire me'.
t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
3 of 8
[quote]when the services I'd be conducting are worth hundreds, if not more.[/quote] This is 100% correct.. but you also need to add that worth is determined by the market, not the provider. If your services are not worth the amount you are asking in the eyes of client.. said client is not in the market you should be fishing in. Hence the title of your post. oDesk is a very mixed market. The vast majority of contracts here are going to be at the lower end of the pay scale than you'll need to be. There are clients who use oDesk as a place to find workers at North American rates, but you'll need some patience in finding them. As a global marketplace, it's tough to find clients willing (or able) to pay on the high end of North American rates. You really need to either offer a service very few people can (take mine as an example, not many people compete with me), or you need to demonstrate the highest level of quality through your portfolio. If a client can get the same quality, or 'close enough', from a multitude of other contractors for less.. you'll have a hell of a time selling yourself. Figure out a way to stand out from the crowd. If you do, you'll start landing the good contracts.
judith-portman
Judith P Member Since: Jun 26, 2012
4 of 8
I have to say I have just had a look at your profile and it is absolutely excellent! Congratulations on building yourself such a successful business; it is no wonder that not many people can compete with you! Well done and here's to a fabulous 2014!
t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
5 of 8
Thanks for the compliment :) There are other consultants on oDesk charging more and some charge less than I, but what I've done is found a very specific niche within a niche. This is why I don't have much competition. I don't pretend to have enough knowledge, education or experience to help 'any' business owner. I turn away more clients than I accept, because I don't feel confident in helping them properly. This is why I have a great rating and feedback. I can get away with charging a steep rate compared to most positions on oDesk because the client spends very little time with me and gets high value in return. The credibility part originally came from my own life experience. Basically I've already done what most of my clients hope to do 'some day'. I show them how. That in itself is priceless & is my niche within a niche. Not everyone shares the same lifestyle as I do, and many could care even less, but for those very few who do.. they find great value in what I am able to offer them. Those clients are extremely rare on oDesk though. If you want to earn a rate that will allow you to earn comfortably in North America ($35/hr?), you'll need to find your niche within a niche. Be 'good' at many things, and exceptional at one. The 'good' is your backup plan. Being exceptional doesn't always mean your technical ability.. it can just mean you don't have much competition because your niche is so targeted. That's the category I fall into. I went from $12/hr sales jobs at the local electronic shops and sporadic DJ gigs with crappy bosses, to earning $35/hr online at the lowest up to $100 today. The next phase of this path will take me to $500/hr within the next few months. This entire process took about 2 years, and without actual direction or mentorship. It just kinda fell into my lap and I ran with it. With all that said... from $12/hr to $500 without ANY change to education or new experience. I haven't learned any new skills other than a couple software titles. Nothing big. Believe me 100% when I tell you that earning $20-$30/hr or whatever you need is NOT hard to do! Stick with it and get help/mentoring along the way to expedite the process and reduce errors. cheers!
itumulak
Ian T Member Since: Jun 7, 2009
6 of 8
And we thought (with cheaper rates) frown upon job offerings that is only restricted to NA or EU.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
7 of 8
You will never win. As Tony said more eloquently, compete on quality and show the client you are worth every penny.
sunworld67
Tracy M Member Since: Aug 28, 2013
8 of 8
Better paid jobs ARE there, it is just that sometimes they are not that easy to find; get used to weeding through a lot of work that most definitely won't pay the bills in the US and Europe!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS