cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oDesk took 10% from my bonus!

nullagarrido
Community Guru

My last client was very happy with my work (yes, despite y 82% JS Score I am an excellent freelance translator!) and gave me a bonus, but oDesk took 10% from my bonus!

Is this ok and even moral?

I am sure I will be pointed to a help page that explains this, but I don´t care: I don´t think this is OK. I earned that bonus by working hard and delivering well before the due date, oDesk already took the 10% off my earning, so...

Another bug then? lol. I laugh because I do not want to cry!

14 REPLIES 14
david_gregory
Community Guru

Yes, oDesk takes 10% from bonuses.

They basically take 10% from all money received.

While you may not think it's right, think how many freelancers would start asking for money to be paid as bonuses if oDesk didn't take 10% from everything.

mikas_bog
Ace Contributor

@Natalia U wrote:

My last client was very happy with my work (yes, despite y 82% JS Score I am an excellent freelance translator!) and gave me a bonus, but oDesk took 10% from my bonus!

Is this ok and even moral?

I am sure I will be pointed to a help page that explains this, but I don´t care: I don´t think this is OK. I earned that bonus by working hard and delivering well before the due date, oDesk already took the 10% off my earning, so...

Another bug then? lol. I laugh because I do not want to cry!

ODesk takes 10% from everything you earn, including bonus. And believe it or not, I'm not against that 🙂 

Spoiler
yes oDesk take 10% all money receive ...
Ramzanul
rodelitodeleon
Ace Contributor

David G is right. "They basically take 10% from all money received."

It happened to me before. Not just that, they even take 10% from Christmas Bonus :). I just ignore it and consider it my Christmas bonus for odesk.

iaabraham
Community Guru

Yes, I was also surprised about this rule and only realized it this year. Although it's not ideal, David's right - if they don't charge 10% on a bonus, then clients/freelancers can exploit the system by only paying/getting paid through bonuses.

nullagarrido
Community Guru

Thanks guys, it makes sense. It's not fair but it makes sense about the bonuses.

Now that I know the reason and explanation for it, I am happier about it. Just wanted to make sure it was normal...

Cheers

Nat

I don't understand why you think this is unfair. It's earned income from a client. 

Your thoughts?

I guess Jean it's more an emotional response than anything else. I am so majorly disappointed with Odesk, for the fact that after 140 applications I got 2 small jobs (in a period of now 4 months) and one of them gave me a bonus. I guess it just feels unfair because my translation career has literally collapsed because of the JS score and now connects made it even worse. So it felt wrong, after making my (once successful) professional experience so difficult, to take a percentage of my hard-earned bonus.

However I understand the reasons now, and rules are rules. So I consider this a colsed matter.

Thanks

If youre client gave you a cookie, they'd probably take 10% of that too Man Very Happy

I just think of it as a service charge. Transaction fee even.

LOL but I want 100% of my cookie!

I am already so skinny as it is, because I can´t find work, grrrr.

Thanks all for the explanations and support.

Out

Natalia

saraabernathy
Active

I've been on oDesk for a bit now, and I understand the frustration when it comes to looking for work. But I guess that's the nature of the beast, because freelance work is sometimes just as hard to find (if not harder) than onsite work. But once you get that great contract, it's worth the effort. I love it, ups and downs. 

With that said, I do recall oDesk being upfront about the 10% when I first signed up. Yes, it seems unfair, but they do have expenses as well and it's ultimately a business. I support it, as oDesk has enabled me the opportunity to have a portable workplace. It's not their shortcoming if we struggle to find work, and it does take a lot of effort to find something ideal based on our skillset. But I think the percentage is fair, especially when I look at the fact that I don't have to deal with a commute any more, or other onsite job related expenses. 

I know there are other platforms that have higher fees, or even a monthly charge. oDesk is by far the most professional and reasonable to me. 

Best of luck! 

I am also the victim,Upwork charge the bonus,as a natural law why would a bonus be charged.Apart from transaction or hourly or fixed price bonus should not be charged bcz it is not a huge money but a bonus.And for newbie as Natila wrote her frustration is very difficult to find job and if you find a job and your bonuses also charged then nothing to tell but sadness.

Oh please. If no fee was charged on bonuses then the first thing I'd say to my clients was "I'll bill you $10 for the job, then send me a $200 bonus". If the money is paid through Upwork they take their fee from it. That's the only possible way things can work.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell

10% is charged to a bonus so that people cannot circumvent the system.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS