Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

option to ask the client questions/clarification before posting proposal

rolludesig
Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
1 of 11

please introduce the option in upwork like elance so that atleast we can get clarification on the budget/project specifications before posting proposal so that connects are not used.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

No, let's not get poor clients, who can usually hardly keep up with the actual applications, lose the will to live and the will to hire anyone because they are drowning in hundreds of questions and hundreds "Please Sir Hire Me Me Expart Me Best Not Possible Apply Bacause Have No Connnekts" messages, which is exactly what would happen.

rolludesig
Community Guru
3 of 11

ok agree but elance had this option but no one ever  complained about that.. and low paying client posting for expert level do make freelancers specially in design catagory confused as to what exactly is he willing to pay...

and if i am right you are not designing background... in design catagory many jobs posting are like i need banner designing my budget is $100..no one is sure if he is willing to pay this amount for 2 banners or 50 banners..how can one clarify about it...there is no point making proposals without knowing what client needs..

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 11

@Rahul V wrote:

1) ok agree but elance had this option but no one ever  complained about that.

2) and if i am right you are not designing background... in design catagory many jobs posting are like i need banner designing my budget is $100.

1) Elance went belly up. There were many reasons for that, but using what was done in a business which failed and folded as a shining example for what should be done is rarely a wise idea.

2) I DO understand what you are saying but that sort of thing is true in most categories. People write job posts "I need a translation" with a budget of $ 200 - sometimes you think you're lucky if they tell you which languages 😄

The thing is, in your category there are already so dreadfully many applications, that clients would literally drown if people could contact them with questions. Or, alternatively, they'd have so many applications that they'd never even look at the questions (just as clients don't often read every one of dozens of proposals) so you'd have wasted your time.

rolludesig
Community Guru
5 of 11

okay but clients can ignore teh questions if they like so atleast connects dont get wasted like they do right now:( and everything cant be client friendly few things need to be freelancer friendly as well:(

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 11

@Petra R wrote:

@Rahul V wrote:

1) ok agree but elance had this option but no one ever  complained about that.

2) and if i am right you are not designing background... in design catagory many jobs posting are like i need banner designing my budget is $100.

1) Elance went belly up. There were many reasons for that, but using what was done in a business which failed and folded as a shining example for what should be done is rarely a wise idea.

2) I DO understand what you are saying but that sort of thing is true in most categories. People write job posts "I need a translation" with a budget of $ 200 - sometimes you think you're lucky if they tell you which languages 😄

The thing is, in your category there are already so dreadfully many applications, that clients would literally drown if people could contact them with questions. Or, alternatively, they'd have so many applications that they'd never even look at the questions (just as clients don't often read every one of dozens of proposals) so you'd have wasted your time.

Just wanted to add, yes Elance at one time had this option, but they did away with it for all the reasons Petra already explained. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 11

@Petra R wrote:

@Rahul V wrote:

1) ok agree but elance had this option but no one ever  complained about that....

1) Elance went belly up. There were many reasons for that, but using what was done in a business which failed and folded as a shining example for what should be done is rarely a wise idea.... 

Meadow muffins, Rahul! Elance killed pre-proposal communications years before it went belly up, for exactly the reasons Petra has already given.

This question has been discussed to death. There are a number of ways you could better use your time, including learning how to use the system as it is designed to work—and works quite well for many of us—rather than coming up with a stream of new fantasy proposals for how it should work to suit your fantasy work life.

Best,

Michael

[eta:] Sorry, just saw that Scott and Katrina had beat me to the correction of fact.

nemes
Community Guru
Zoltán N Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
8 of 11

If you really want that job, then just ignore their budget and send your regular "per banner" price in your proposal, letting them know that "$100 is a bit below the industry rates, but I happily design your banner for $185".

It's your own business, and you set your own prices, not your clients. 

rolludesig
Community Guru
9 of 11

okay thats fine but what if the exact requirement is 50 banners for $100..it is the connects which get wasted..

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
10 of 11

Lots of people complained about it on Elance and it was removed around 2012. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS