Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay

ilanherman
ilan h Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
1 of 24

Fixed-Price - Expert ($$$) - Est. Budget: $170 - Posted 1 hour ago

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
am i reading correctly???? ill b lucky to earn a dollar an hour... someone please explain what the %^&&* is going on here? 
noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
2 of 24

Put in a bid for 17000 dollars and start your proposal with:

"Dear hiring manager,

I believe you forgot a couple of zeroes from the job post. No worries though, I realized this and bid at the correct amount. :)"

ilanherman
3 of 24

funny.... but seriously, all i c r jobs with an average of 3-4 ducks an hour....should i just forget about this service?

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
4 of 24

I'm only half-kidding, though. I rather laugh than cry at posts like that these days, so if I have connects to spare and the post is ridiculous enough, I do sometimes send them offers that are 10x or even 100x the budget they specified. If for no other reasons, then to skew the stats for those freelancers that actually pay attention to what other's are bidding.

This website has a lot of freelancers that have joined the race to the bottom, and of course clients take advantage of this. I advice you to pay no mind to jobs like that. You'll live longer, not to mention happier. There are a lot of good projects as well - they might be few and far between, but they are there. And you will learn to find them. 

But if you want your proposals to be taken seriously enough to get one of these projects, I would pay more attention to how you express yourself. 

ilanherman
5 of 24

thanks, you've been helpful.  customer service scolded me and said that 3 bucks an hour is fair wage in many countries, so i guess im competing with people in India? another nail in the coffin of globalization. i don't think this site will work for me  

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
6 of 24
//so i guess im competing with people in India//

Ofcourse yes. Not only with people in India, but also with people in many countries including Asian, African, European countries too.

That is the speciality of outsourcing/freelancing area.

If suppose the client employs a full time employee he should have to pay much higher than what he pays to you. Does this mean that employee is competing with you?
ilanherman
7 of 24

Dude.... more power to you, though from reading your post i can easily tell that English isn't your first language. I'd take a writing/editing challange against you any day. Go ahead, the world is a level playing field, but let there be no doubt: the race to the bottom results in shoddy work and the expolitation of freelance writers in the US. I guess it's karma for what the US has done by building manufacturing sweatshops in China and India--what goes around comes around, but on my dime. So be it 🙂 

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
8 of 24
"am i reading correctly???? ill b lucky to earn a dollar an hour... someone please explain what the %^&&* is going on here?"

ilan, this represents $1:100 words. It's a fixed rate job not an hourly job. 

ilanherman
9 of 24

okay, so i'll make 2.50 an hour.... my rates in the real world are 25-40 dollars an hour. can u help me figure out how to bid for jobs that offer a fair price or is this site like a sweatshop for freelancers with everyone bidding aginst each other for lower wages. pardon my ignorance if im missing something...im new and a bit overwhelmed by what im seeing  

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 24

Putting aside the number of words -- I'm not a writer so cannot tell if this would be a short, medium, or long book --"due within 14 days" means a book every 2 weeks, or 26 books a year. I know some writers are more prolific than others, but a book in 2 weeks is in a category beyond prolific. Cat Surprised