reed_heather

payment offers outside of upwork

I was approached by a potential client from **Edited for Community Guidelines**group. Did skype interview. They offered a contract, but the payment is outside Upwork. They say they pay the fee associated with this - as per the contract.

I am unsure of this. I have the emailed proposal they sent. I have seen their website. I have reviewed their company information.  

They said the contract with Upwork would be honored if they pay the fee.  Like a finders fee.  Is that correct?

They want me to start next week. I can screenshot the conversation if that is helpful.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "So, every interview request I have received so far asks for a hangouts or skype interview.  Is that normal?  or should that be a red flag?"

Every interview request you receive asking you to use Google Hangouts is a scam.

If somebody wants to interview you via Skype, that may very well be legitimate. Especially if they want to do a video chat with you. Scammers rarely do video chats, or even live audio chats or phone calls.

Scammers typically want to hide their identities.

Legitimate clients often want to verify your identity.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter

If you get caught dealing with these people you could have your Upwork account suspended or even terminated.

You did the right thing to report this here and ask what to do. I suggest you file a report with Customer Service using the ticketing system and tell them that this particular client tried to get you to accept payment outside of the Upwork platform.

This is an extremely serious violation of Upwork ToS for both client and freelancer.

tlsanders

Heather, it is possible for a client to "buy out" the remainder of the Upwork contract with a particular freelancer, but this occurs on a freelancer by freelancer basis, and the minimum charge is $2,500--it can be much higher depending on the work involved. 

No client is going to make those arrangements with Upwork and make that payment with regard to a freelancer they've just connected with and may or may not continue to work with. In the rare event that such a buyout did occur, I would expect that Upwork would be in touch with BOTH parties in the process. 

I emailed Upwork policy report email.  I didn't know what to do.  So, I just forwarded the email offer to them and asked what I should do.  

So, every interview request I have received so far asks for a hangouts or skype interview.  Is that normal?  or should that be a red flag?  I am very new to this process, so I appreciate feedback.

re: "So, every interview request I have received so far asks for a hangouts or skype interview.  Is that normal?  or should that be a red flag?"

Every interview request you receive asking you to use Google Hangouts is a scam.

If somebody wants to interview you via Skype, that may very well be legitimate. Especially if they want to do a video chat with you. Scammers rarely do video chats, or even live audio chats or phone calls.

Scammers typically want to hide their identities.

Legitimate clients often want to verify your identity.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heather,

As Tiffany and Preston noted already, accepting payments outside of Upwork from client's you met on Upwork is a serious violation of Upwork ToS. If the client followed the buyout process, you would be notified.

We'll have the client you are referring to reviewed as soon as possible and appropriate actions taken.

Please, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork
reed_heather

Thank you. I forwarded the email to the email in the contract that talked about buy outs.