🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » payment outside upwork after 2 years in contr...
Page options
grg183
Community Member

payment outside upwork after 2 years in contract

Hi,

I've been on upwork for many years but the first time that I've really come across a need for this and I'd like some clarification. I have a contract that is close to 4 years old (Jan 2017) and the client needs to send me funds for material sourcing. I know that we are bound to use upwork for the first 2 years but after those 2 years can I accept payment for material sourcing via bank transfer (outside upwork) while still keep using upwork for hours payment ?  ...I'm not sure if the upwork contract needs to be terminated before I can accept payments outside upwork (after the 2 years of course).

Thanks,

George 

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

George S wrote:

after those 2 years can I accept payment for material sourcing via bank transfer (outside upwork) while still keep using upwork for hours payment ?  ...I'm not sure if the upwork contract needs to be terminated before I can accept payments outside upwork (after the 2 years of course).

Yes, you can.

No, the contract does not have to be terminated.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi George,

Relationships that have been maintained for two years on the platform may be taken outside of Upwork, and it does not violate the Upwork Terms of Service or require the Upwork Conversion Fee. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
grg183
Community Member

Thanks Petra and Bojan.

@Bojan Yes I am aware that after 2 years we can move out of Upwork completely but what was not clear to me was whether as long as we are using Upwork's services for the contract we also need to maintain all payments in Upwork and only move to outside payments once the Upwork contract is terminated (since one could argue that we are making use of the Upworks platform but Upwork is not benefiting from it) or whether the payments in Upwork and outside Upwork can coexist after the initial 2 years. From your responses it seems that they can coexist without violation of any policy.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi George,

If the relationship has been maintained for two years or more on the platform, it would not be against the TOS for you to accept some payments from this client outside of Upwork. You can still continue using your existing contract with this client on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths