Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

payment question

laclark93
Linda C Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
1 of 5

Hi,

I'm Linda Clark and I am very new to Upwork. I have a question:

I interviewed tonight with a **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I was contacted via Upwork by **Edited for Community Guidelines**who said that my resume was reviewed and that they were offering an interview. She put me in touch with **Edited for Community Guidelines**

The interview went well and I was offered the job. This is where my question comes in. He informed me that he would send hiring papers, etc. to my email and then asked how I wanted to by paid. I questioned what role Upwork would play in this because it was my understanding that I would be paid through Upwork, not the client. I left the conversation on GoogleHangouts, telling **Edited for Community Guidelines** that I would confirm things with Upwork and then get back to him.

Any advice you can give would be most helpful.

Thank you,

Linda Clark

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 5

It is against the TOS to  accept payment of any kind through any means except Upwork.  This may well be a  scam.  I personally would not continue to talk to this client.  You are new and that makes you a prime target.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

Linda, this is just a scam. These people are wasting your time and trying to steal your money or personal identity information.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Linda,

I am glad you came to seek advice from the Community before proceeding with this offer. Offering and accepting payments outside of Upwork is not only a serious violation of the ToS but also doesn't provide you with the same security and protection as using Upwork for your transactions does. 

We do ask our members to report job posts and clients offering direct payments by flagging them. I'll also follow up with the team to make sure they review the client account you are referring to.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

~ Valeria
Untitled
laclark93
Linda C Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
5 of 5

Thank you, Valeria. Something about it didn't seem right. It's a good thing I went to the Webinar this afternoon! That's where I got my information.

Linda

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS