Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

payment

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
SHAWNA G Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
1 of 7

So I bid on a job for a set amount.  only one milestone.  I requested part of that amount and it was funded.  I went to request the remainder and there is no way to do so. I contact support they said i have to contact the client to have him add milestones.  This is not right as I should be able to request the remainder of the contract.  anyone else have problems.  I came from elance where we had the option to add milestones as freelancers but that is not possible here

Highlighted
Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
2 of 7

It's not a problem, it's the way it is. On Upwork only the client can set up milestones.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

Right,  but the original bid was 900 dollars,  I requested 200, thinking that when everything is finished I would request the remainder.  it shows 700 dollars remaining but I am not able to request it unless the client adds milestones.  This was a contract, fixed price job.  I am owed the remainder and am not able to request it unless the client adds milestones.  This, I am certain, is a violation of contract law as the original amount shows funded.  I am not happy with the way upwork does business.  Now, basically, the client can not bother to add milestones and I am then out of the remaining amount of my contract. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 7

When you say '"it shows $700 remaining", do you mean that this shows as escrow having been funded?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 7

Hi Shawn,

It's correct that the remaining amount is still in Escrow and the client can't close the contract without either releasing it or requesting a refund which you would have to approve. You can message your client and let them know that the rest of the work is complete and they may close the contract and release the remainder of the funds to you.

I have also shared your feedback about the process of requesting the remaining funds with the team. It can use some improvement.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 7

Hi Shawn.

Projects can be broken up into milestones in a Fixed Priced Contract, in which each milestone is funded by the client.

I can see that you have contacted your client to issue another milestone so that the remaining funds for the contract be released. You may also request your client for a milestone by clicking on the My Jobs tab, and under the details of the amount paid, click on the "?" beside "No Milestones", and click on "Let them know" so that your client can be notified by the system that you are waiting for new milestones to be created. 

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 11.32.52 AM.png

Avery

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 7

This was not evident when I billed,  I assumed that if I requested part of the total the remainder would be there.  This site is very user unfriendly.  I have contacted him but no reply. Now I am in limbo.  If a person bills for part of the contract and there is only one milestone,  a warning should come up or something.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS