cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone/email for interview?

doug_cousminer
Douglas C Member Since: Oct 19, 2016
1 of 19

Hi, I submitted a proposal for a job, and the client responded asking for my email address and phone number in order to set up an interview. The job is with a non-profit organization (which looks like a great organization), and the job posting included a link to the non-profit's website, but the client's name is not listed at all on their website (the staff members are listed on their site). The client is also located in a different state from the non-profit. I was wondering if I should be wary of this, and how I should respond.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 19

oh they're not in the US at all.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 19

As you are a newbie, it was probably a mistake for you to look at the client's website or Google the names of the client and the organization. These are techniques that scammers use to trick newbies.

You need to focus on the information you have within Upwork.

I don't provide my email address to people until they have hired me. Also: Why does somebody need your email address in order to set up a phone interview? Doesn't that seem suspicious? He can arrange a phone interview through Upwork messaging.

But it is unlikely that any harm will come from you providing your email address to this potential client. Just don't do anything to anger him, whether he is a real client or a scammer.

Feel free to come back to this thread and provide us with more details. This could certainly be a scam. But I'm not 100% certain.

If you really think this is a legitimate client, I think you should feel free to set up a phone interview. But if the interview goes more than 15 minutes in length, you need to say:

"Yes, this sounds like it would work for both of us. If you go ahead and send a hire offer on Upwork, I'll accept the offer and we can continue."

If the client isn't willing to send you an official Upwork job offer, it means he is a scammer and is just wasting your time.

jolash
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
4 of 19

Follow your instincts. Be careful. Politely but firmly reply that you would want all communication to be done on the platform for now. Also you might want to run through stuff like client's previous job history, if other freelancer s have been invited etc.  You can also get CS involved if anyone requests for sensitive details such as bank details etc.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 19

re: "The job is with a non-profit organization (which looks like a great organization)..."

Keep in mind that you are not a volunteer. If you want to volunteer and work for free for people, you may not use Upwork to do so.

Generally speaking, when it comes to accepting jobs on Upwork, a non-profit organization should be looked at with considerably more suspicion than an honest, for-profit company.

doug_cousminer
6 of 19

The fact that it's a non-profit is not an issue, since I would be getting paid (I would not start work without a contract), and I've worked with non-profits for years and gotten paid with no problem. I'm more concerned about the fact that the person posting the job (and requesting my contact information) does not appear to be on the staff of the non-profit, and is located in a different state from this non-profit, which seems odd to me. My main concern is that I'd be giving my contact information to a third party who is not on the staff of the organization for which the work is to be performed. (I don't think this is something that non-profits would typically do-- It just seems odd to me.)

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 19

@Douglas C wrote:

The fact that it's a non-profit is not an issue, since I would be getting paid (I would not start work without a contract), and I've worked with non-profits for years and gotten paid with no problem. I'm more concerned about the fact that the person posting the job (and requesting my contact information) does not appear to be on the staff of the non-profit, and is located in a different state from this non-profit, which seems odd to me. My main concern is that I'd be giving my contact information to a third party who is not on the staff of the organization for which the work is to be performed. (I don't think this is something that non-profits would typically do-- It just seems odd to me.)

99% of the time, if they want your email right away without chatting just a little in the message center, it's either A) they want to trick you into taking PayPal or they are straight up money laundering scammers.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 19

@Preston H wrote:

Generally speaking, when it comes to accepting jobs on Upwork, a non-profit organization should be looked at with considerably more suspicion than an honest, for-profit company.

It does not matter one iota whether a client works for / on behalf of a non-profit or a for-profit organisation.

Provided they set up a contract and pay it is entirely irrelevant.

doug_cousminer
9 of 19

@Oreofe J wrote:

Politely but firmly reply that you would want all communication to be done on the platform for now.

I think that this is the best course of action for the time being. Thanks!

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
10 of 19

IMO I see nothing wrong with that request. But that's as far as it should go. Sometimes, personal email is faster and easier to communicate through and send files to look over then opening up Upwork, logging in, going to the message section etc.

If they ask for any more personal information, do NOT provide that. That includes address, bank account numbers or information, Credit card or PayPal account numbers or information, Social Security numbers, Passport or Visa information. or even auto tag numbers. and mothers maiden name. There's NO need for this information There's no need for you to provide that because the client sends some type of legal form or registration etc to you. You are here to work and a client is here to get their work done, nothing more.

Do not start working because the client says - you're hired. Award you the job/contract is done on this site.

And do not start working until escrow is fully funded either tor the entire job or for each milestone (if any) as they come up, no matter how conviencing the client may sound as to why they can't. No funds in escrow, no work started. (even if there's a deadline involved.)

And ALL financial transactions (payment funded etc) MUST be done on this site. Do NOT accept a check that will be sent to you. If you do , your account will be suspended from Upwork.

If Google hangouts are mentions, it's a scam.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS