🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: pointless re-verify
Page options
slawomir_rewaj
Community Member

pointless re-verify

Hello,

I'm a top rated freelancer and I verified my identity last month. Now I have got the same request again.

Taking 10 minutes to do it is not a big deal, although I would prefer that Upwork respects my time rather then feeling entitled to waste it on pointless excercises.
I have passed it and it was no different then the previous one.

The bigger issue is that my account is on temporary hold and it lasts longer then 10 minutes. Upwork claims that it has up to 48 hours to release it.
I'm worried about how this is presented to the clients.

The main question is - why do Upwork even does it so often? Do you think that my identity changed within a month?

Kind regards

Slawek

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jae Sung, 

At times, for a variety of reasons, we need to ask our users to verify their identity or other information. Please know we do try to avoid doing this repeatedly. However, as part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, we must reach out to users again sometimes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To verify your identity, log into your Upwork account and click on “Settings.” In the left-hand column, choose “Identity Verification.” Follow the steps there to begin verification. For tips on correctly completing the process and details about the documents needed, click here.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

638 REPLIES 638
shabu143
Community Member

We are reaching out to let you know we need to re-verify your profile due to a recent change you made."

I have just change my profile pic .Is it a big issue ? I have successfully done id verification plus video chat and then after few second I changed my pic and got mail to reverify .Is it compulsory to use my own profile pic on upwork?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hemraj,

Yes, your profile must represent you as an individual and all the information in your profile including your profile photo needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable. 

As part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, verification is sometimes required more than once. We do try to avoid doing this repeatedly and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Hemraj S wrote:
 I have successfully done id verification plus video chat and then after few second I changed my pic and got mail to reverify .Is it compulsory to use my own profile pic on upwork?

Of course it is. And it tells you quite clearly when you upload a photo.

Why in the world would you use someone else's?

How very weird that you changed your profile picture seconds after doing the verification

re: "I have just change my profile pic .Is it a big issue ?"

Changing your profile picture is not a big issue. Doing a re-verification step is similarly not a big issue.

re: "I have successfully done id verification plus video chat and then after few second I changed my pic and got mail to reverify .Is it compulsory to use my own profile pic on upwork?"

It is NOT compulsory for ANYBODY to use Upwork.

You could simply stop working as a freelancer on Upwork.

Or you can do identity verification when asked.

It is 100% your choice.

I just received re-verify request:

Action Required: Please Re-Verify Your Identity

I passed verification on March 2019.
It's not a big deal, but little bit annoying do it again.

I didn't changed profile picture during last 4 years 🙂  
Maybe it is a reason. Probably should update my photo, because I'm getting older.

Volodymyr C wrote:

I just received re-verify request:

Action Required: Please Re-Verify Your Identity

I passed verification on March 2019.
It's not a big deal, but little bit annoying do it again.

I didn't changed profile picture during last 4 years 🙂  
Maybe it is a reason. Probably should update my photo, because I'm getting older.

Because of the high incidence of fraudulent profiles -- some are stolen, some are sold -- UW now has a program of randomly selecting FLs for re-verification. It's annoying but a necessary evil. (I had to do it a couple of weeks ago, after getting my fancy blue 'identity verified' badge only about six months ago.) It's like in the U.S., the highway patrol sometimes sets up a random roadblock where every vehicle has to stop and the driver show their license, vehicle registration, and insurance verification. 

kodir77
Community Member

Hi upWork today my account was suspended I received this message

Zendesk Upwork Help Center: Action Required. ID Verification Request

My account is suspended knowingly i did upload my Passport and ID before and i was veryfid and i still do have the verifying patch now please guys help me fast this is so important to me i don't wanna lose my account thank you for your concern.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mohamed,

Just to confirm that you still haven't completed the verification process. To complete the process go to Settings > Identity > Click on the green button and follow the instructions on your end. For more details about this you can check your ticket as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for fast respond 
i did verified through a government ID check and passport look the attachment file please and even after verification my account is suspended for the same reason !

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mohamed,

Please follow the instructions shared with you on your ticket with number 27107424. If you have any additional questions feel free to follow up on your ticket and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am verified and suspended for not being verified please explane there is nothing in the help center explane that.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mohamed,

Our team has already reached out to you via ticket with detailed instructions about your pending verification. You can access your tickets on this Link, If you have any additional questions about the process or need further help feel free to update your ticket. Our team will assist you further as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
renata101
Community Member

I verified my identity in mid-September with a video call.  Why am I now being asked to "re-verify" with a second video call two months later? 

I don't understand why this is necessary. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Renata, 

I understand how this experiencing can be frustrating for you. I would like to clarify that on Section 1.6 Identity and Location Verification it says that - 

"When you register for an Account and from time to time thereafter, your Account will be subject to verification, including, but not limited to, validation against third-party databases or the verification of one or more official government or legal documents that confirm your identity, your location, and your ability to act on behalf of your business on Upwork... When requested, you must timely provide us with complete information about yourself and your business, which includes, but is not limited to, providing official government or legal documents."

I went ahead and also confirmed this with the team and will get back to you once I have more inforamtion. 

~ Avery
Upwork
renata101
Community Member

"When you register for an Account and from time to time thereafter, your Account will be subject to verification, including, but not limited to, validation against third-party databases or the verification of one or more official government or legal documents that confirm your identity, your location, and your ability to act on behalf of your business on Upwork...

Yes. And I did this. 

When requested, you must timely provide us with complete information about yourself and your business, which includes, but is not limited to, providing official government or legal documents."

Yes. I did this in mid-September. Will I be expected to do it more than once per quarter? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Renata,

We do try to limit the number of times we ask users to verify their identity. Sometimes, however, we need to ask again. This practice is just one part of our efforts to help keep Upwork safe. Please note in the future we may ask you to verify your identity again as part of our ongoing effort to keep Upwork secure and fraud-free. We won't, however be able to tell when/if you'll be asked to verify again.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
kamal_kbiz
Community Member

To me here, there seems to be another vague issue, they keep on trying  to get the video verification every month and getting the profile on hold if it got missed accidently..

It had been becomming nerve wrecking and getting hard to focus on getting business on upwork..

I understand they are doing it for the security , but the person face is not going to change in 1 month, if they find it that much important they should be doing it once  in 2 year or likewise..

Anticipating the genuine response for the above.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kamal,

As part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, verification is sometimes required more than once. We do try to avoid doing this repeatedly and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. 

Please, refer to this ticket for more information regarding the verification process, where our team already shared tips about using a device with a connected camera and microphone for the verification process. Use the link provided in the ticket and our agent will guide you through the process!

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mediavillo-raven
Community Member

Hi, I already took the video verification and passed it earlier this year I think, but now there's this notification that says "Action required: To avoid additional account restrictions, you must complete your identity verification video call with Upwork. You can initiate this call by chatting with an agent here." Do I need to verify my Identity still, shouldn't this be done already?

Hi Raven,

Please, refer to the notification regarding the verification process. If you are experiencing any issues accessing the verification, kindly, let us know so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Raven,

Please, refer to the notification regarding the verification process. If you are experiencing any issues accessing the verification, kindly, let us know so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

I don't have an issue with the need to check/verify people's identities; in fact, I have yet to respond to a call to verify my identity for the blue check mark.

However, it would be nice if Upwork, instead of harassing already verified freelancers to verify their identies again and again and again, allocated more resources to reminding other websites not to allow their users to violate their Terms of Service by posting videos and/or instructions on how to violate Upwork's Terms of Service.

The Aussie Voice debacle is one example of this. There are others, but all focus on illustrating ways and means to open UpWork accounts fraudulently. This is just a theory, but I have an idea that if the flood of fraudulent accounts we see every day are auto-rejected, none of us honest, upstanding UpWork users would have to undergo the various verification processes more than say, three or four times a year, because we would then all have a safe, secure, and propserous platform.  

mtngigi
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Raven,

Thank you.

I don't have an issue with the need to check/verify people's identities; in fact, I have yet to respond to a call to verify my identity for the blue check mark.

However, it would be nice if Upwork, instead of harassing already verified freelancers to verify their identies again and again and again, allocated more resources to reminding other websites not to allow their users to violate their Terms of Service by posting videos and/or instructions on how to violate Upwork's Terms of Service.

The Aussie Voice debacle is one example of this. There are others, but all focus on illustrating ways and means to open UpWork accounts fraudulently. This is just a theory, but I have an idea that if the flood of fraudulent accounts we see every day are auto-rejected, none of us honest, upstanding UpWork users would have to undergo the various verification processes more than say, three or four times a year, because we would then all have a safe, secure, and propserous platform.  

Reinier,

You should copy/paste this to this thread:  https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/All-I-want-for-Christmas-from-UpWork/td-p/677920

I wonder how profiles are chosen for multiple IDVs? Is it a random algorithm? Or are profiles chosen deliberately? Hypothetical questions of course ... either way it would be nice not to bother people who so obviously don't need to be bothered, and instead bother the ones that do.

311c5a62
Community Member

I have already uploaded my license proven my US identity, have been hired and paid for a completed job that was US only. Now, when I try to submit a proposal I cannot submit it, instead I get a msg to upload my license to prove my identity for a second time. This is a mistake please fix this so I can submit more proposals.

Just upload your license again. It takes five minutes.

jamiesmith1988
Community Member

I'm also being hassled to do this video verification for the second time in a couple of months despite already having a verified profile. Customer service is worse than useless.

I understand the rationale behind it but would like to know why I appear to be being singled out. I've worked consistently on Upwork for years with no issues. If I'm told why my account is being flagged for this then I can fix it. As it is, I have to do the call again and then what? Do it again in a few weeks? Keep doing it every few weeks?

It might only take 10 minutes but I have better things to be doing than faffing about with this needless nonsense. Honestly, it's like Upwork actually doesn't want people to use their platform at times.

Hi Jamie,

I understand your frustration with this and would like to confirm that trust and safety is our priority on Upwork. Based on various indicators freelancers may occasionally be asked to verify the information on their profiles again. Please, follow the link to connect with our team and complete your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
mamtarani12
Community Member

I have already verified my ID but upwork is still asking for video verification again.

re: "I have already verified my ID but upwork is still asking for video verification again"

If Upwork is asking you to do video verification, then that is fine. You can go ahead and do it.

Keep in mind that Upwork has multiple types of identity verification protocols. This might be one you haven't even done yet.

And Upwork may ask freelancers to repeat identity verification steps.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

I did re-verify video call with UPwork yesterday.

But I can't still submit proposals.

Do I have to wait more or ..?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lawrence,

Please allow time for our team to respond and update your ticket. You will be notified within 24-48 hours about your account status.

Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork
owoade-samuel
Community Member

I logged in to my account on my friend's laptop and he also later logged in on the same laptop some hours later, I do not understand how his profile picture now appears on my profile picture while I still retain my original details, bank and all and I have already been verified. Now Upwork wants to re-verify me, what do i do?

Hi Owoade,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I checked and it seems that you already completed the requested verification. As a gentle reminder, please note that sharing accounts is a serious violation of Upwork's TOS. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
joaquimb
Community Member

Hi everyone.

Since joining this platform, I did a video call with Upwork twice, December last year and January this year about 2 weeks ago.
But why does Upwork require me to do video call again? Is there any problem with my account?
I’m worried why this is happening 3 times for a small period like a month? Could anyone help me to understand and solve this problem?

Kind Regards,
Joaquim

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joaquim,

Please, refer to this ticket for more information regarding the verification process, where our team already shared tips about using a device with a connected camera and microphone for the verification process. Use the link provided in the ticket and our agent will guide you through the process!

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
joaquimb
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

Thanks for your reply.

Does this mean that I need to do the video call twice a month?

Kind Regards,

Joaquim

re: "Does this mean that I need to do the video call twice a month?"

It means you need to do the video call when Upwork asks you to do so.

marcos-vissio91
Community Member

Though I have did video verification 3 days ago, I didn't receive any response from upwork.

Currently all my requets are solved:

**Edited for community guidelines**

But verification alarm still remains on home page:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Is my account was verified or Should I do again this verification?

Hi Marcos,

Asking all earning freelancers to verify and occasionally re-verify their identity is a step we have to take in order to ensure the marketplace is fraud-free and safe. We apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. 

Please, check this support ticket for more information on how to complete this verification process.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan, so what sould I do next?

Hi Marcos,

Please use the link provided in the previously mentioned ticket and our agent will guide you through this process of identity re-verification!

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths