🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Video call ID verification request 3 time...
Page options
slawomir_rewaj
Community Member

pointless re-verify

Hello,

I'm a top rated freelancer and I verified my identity last month. Now I have got the same request again.

Taking 10 minutes to do it is not a big deal, although I would prefer that Upwork respects my time rather then feeling entitled to waste it on pointless excercises.
I have passed it and it was no different then the previous one.

The bigger issue is that my account is on temporary hold and it lasts longer then 10 minutes. Upwork claims that it has up to 48 hours to release it.
I'm worried about how this is presented to the clients.

The main question is - why do Upwork even does it so often? Do you think that my identity changed within a month?

Kind regards

Slawek

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jae Sung, 

At times, for a variety of reasons, we need to ask our users to verify their identity or other information. Please know we do try to avoid doing this repeatedly. However, as part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, we must reach out to users again sometimes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To verify your identity, log into your Upwork account and click on “Settings.” In the left-hand column, choose “Identity Verification.” Follow the steps there to begin verification. For tips on correctly completing the process and details about the documents needed, click here.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

638 REPLIES 638
neo_mat
Community Member

Oi, UpWork reps, who are in "verification" department, do you want to throw an idea to the higher standing ranks on how to reduce the budget and operations costs of your entire department? You might get a promotion, since clearly, right now you are not doing that great of a job and feels like you need some kind of shake and wake up call.

You gather a ton of analytics, that's a fact, you can even see heatmaps of user activity on your site, where they click most often, how click through is happening, etc, but you also gather few crucial metrics that can save a ton of money per year to UpWork organization, by reducing amount of people required to be in this "verification" department of yours, mainly those metrics are the IP address and browser fingerprint, including resolution of the screen.

With that data you can automate the process of marking "suspicious" accounts and reduce false-positive rates, on which you spend a ton of human resources and salaries, making this type of operations more cost effective and less invasive/disruptive for the freelancer/clients.

Sure, if you throw this task at IT ops, it might take two-three months to get it rolling at scale, but in the end result it would provide a massive yearly savings, since some people will be gone and no longer needed. Let's assume you get paid $30/hr, with 40 hours per week and yearly that's going to be in range of $60k? Let's say 10 of your colleagues become redundant, due to proposed optimizations carried out and as result a massive drop in false-positive "re-verifications" rate. That's $600k year saved on salaries, not bad, aight?

Feel free to take my idea and shoot it over to higher ranks, I won't be taking any credit for this perfect idea on how to make UpWork a better place and organization as a whole.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for sharing your suggestion with us! I already sent your feedback to our product team for consideration.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
shavarska-yarina
Community Member

Two month ago I recieved a request to make my identity verification by sending ID scan and running a video session.
I did it and recieved my blue "verified" badge.

A week after that my profile recieved a request to run video call again (but I already had a blue "verified" badge). Which is very strange activity from upworks side (or incompetence I dont know). I asked why I need to run video call after the fact of doing it already. Managers replied with some generic answer of "making upwork safer etc" which is an obvious lie because I dont know how showing my passport twice a week will make upwork safe?

But I agreed and video call again...and guess what? - they asked same questions maybe a couple new, asked to show my ID and I recieved my verification 2nd time.

But today I recieved third (!!!) video verification request for last 2 month. Is that someone joking? Or incompetence? I wont be skyping with you every month for the rest of my life doing all that humiliating passport demonstration and answering same questions over and over.

Get your managers to slove the problem.

Thank you!

PS: Today I also encountered some strange upwork-site activity : each time I clicked any button a captcha poped up and some text appeared asking me to proove that Im human and dont use any robotic stuff or adblocks or my java is turned on etc. maybe that last request Is connected with it issue in some way? If so - Im obviously not a robot and a designer with a couple of long term (several months) contracts that fill my entire workday I dont need ANY NEW contracts for last 3 months and its been a while I posted any new job proposals, let alone some robotic-hacking stuff. I communicated with upwork couple of times and I communicate with my clients all the time. This captcha thing dissapeared after a while btw and I havent done anything with adblocks because I just dont have them, my firefox doesnt have any plugins etc.

Hi Yaryna,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. While we do try and limit the number of times we ask freelancers to verify, we sometimes require verification more than once. This is part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. Apologies for the inconvenience it may cause.

~ Bojan
Upwork
dangnguyen_1712
Community Member

Hello, I have done the re-verification through video call and it was more than 48 hours. I still haven't got any update on my account status.

Hi Dang,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I followed up with the team handling your case and you should be all set now. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
expobiz_amrita
Community Member

I have already done video verication two time but still you want again video verification .let me know is any systm error or you need again verification

If you are asked to do a identify verification step, such as video verification, again... It is not a system error. The identity verification protocols explicitly call for some people to do these steps multiple times.

Hi Amrita,

While we do try and limit the number of times we ask freelancers to verify, we sometimes require verification more than once. This is part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. Apologies for the inconvenience it may cause. 

Please follow up on your open ticket in which you'll find a secure link to start your verification.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I have done verification a week ago and the hold has not been released yet. Many chat sessions and emails back and forth did not solve the problem.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update, Taras.

I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
fintalenthk
Community Member

i agree with you, same feeling of being irrittaing.......holding over 2 days to entertain their documentation request....all the particulars are in the utlility billl.....still ask for ridiculous issues!! our 20% fee is about wasting the time on verifying this and this.......I have learnt some best-performing upworkers now not much time on this platform......no. of good client drop, but more worthy time on serving red-tape administration........20% fee still going to greedy mouths....

Hi Wai, 

I understand how this experiencing can be frustrating for you. I would like to clarify that on Section 1.6 Identity and Location Verification it says that - 

"When you register for an Account and from time to time thereafter, your Account will be subject to verification, including, but not limited to, validation against third-party databases or the verification of one or more official government or legal documents that confirm your identity, your location, and your ability to act on behalf of your business on Upwork... When requested, you must timely provide us with complete information about yourself and your business, which includes, but is not limited to, providing official government or legal documents."

We do this because it is a critical part of maintaining a trusted online global workplace and keeping Upwork safe and fraud-free. Just the same, I apologize if this experience has been an inconvenience for you. I can see that you have recently completed a verification of your account. Let us know if you have further concerns regarding the verification requests/process so that we can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

Avery

i did not receive any email abt verification......soonest you have suspended my account and remove my top-rated status.......is it fair to me?? last yr i still remember you had alarmed with the alert abt verification......i think it's time to actively seek opportunities out of upwork with current clients

muntether_q
Community Member

Hi I have done the video call twice and send my id and my account was verified through a government ID check and a video call. few days ago i notice that i can not apply to any job and i should do the video call again here is the message(To avoid additional account restrictions, you must complete your identity verification video call with Upwork. You can initiate this call by chatting with an agent) may I know why i should do the call for the third times ?and what's going on? p.s the second time i got an email saying that there will be no more verification

Hi Muntether,

We understand that this is inconvenient and we do try and limit the number of times we ask freelancers to verify. However, we sometimes require verification more than once. This is part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. If you have any issues, please refer and reply to the notification that was sent to you via email.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
acasaligan
Community Member

Hi there! I already completed my verification last January. Why am I required to verify myself again?  

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aira,

While we do try and limit the number of times we ask freelancers to verify, we sometimes require verification more than once. This is part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. Apologies for the inconvenience it may cause.

Please, refer to this ticket for more information regarding the verification process, where our team already shared tips about using a device with a connected camera and microphone for the verification process. Use the link provided in the ticket and our agent will guide you through the process!

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
etieno-isaiah
Community Member

Hello everyone,
I hope you all are safe. I have been asked to do a video verification the second time. The problem I am having is that each time I click on the "chat with an agent", it's only a bot that responds and no agent. I've had many failed attempts so far for days now. Please how do I go about this?

Hi Etieno,

I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect one of our agents to reach out to you directly via support ticket as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
96edd91d
Community Member

Even though I've done complete verification and have a blue tick on my profile, today suddenly I'm getting this notice "Action required: To avoid additional account restrictions, you must complete your identity verification video call with Upwork".

I can't send proposals now.

What should I do? Am I supposed to do it again? 

I am also having this issue. I just posted this issue as well. It's becoming frustrating. 

Yes, It's frustrating.

How on earth are we required to do our face checkup twice a week? Upwork Team, please solve the issue ASAP. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Umair and Anna,

I just checked this for you and it looks like your cases were resolved, also our agent has updated your support tickets. Feel free to reach back to us if you need any further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
athorner0903
Community Member

I got a couple of emails saying that my account is suspended even though I have done both types of verifications. I have recently applied to many jobs and now all my proposals were withdrawn. Once I did the verification (before the suspension), this "suspension" was supposed to be lifted, correct? I don't understand why this is an issue now. It's really messing with my job application process and I'm missing out on jobs. Please let me know what is going on or fix the problem.

gece_h
Community Member

Hope you're having a good day.
I wanted to express my dissatisfaction with the platform when checking my account. I've done this process about 7 times and I'm already bored, I even checked my account with a video call consultant within the same platform. Since you started asking us to check and verify all accounts and put the verification in blue next to our name. I don't know what the problem is with this, almost every day I have to confirm my account with my ID. I need to know what the problem is! I have a payment pending that I haven't received yet and I need the money!
Hope you can help me really soon.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jesús,

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi!

I re-verified my account on the 5th of May morning and didn't get email about successfully cempleted verification. So I don't know if my account still on hold or no and am I able to submit new proposals and continue working?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Vasyl,

Your verification was successful and the ID verification badge is awarded on your profile. Feel free to continue sending proposals and work on your contracts. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
2fde2b05
Community Member

I submitted my identity two times on Upwork but again and again show Verify your Identity by 05/09/2020 UTC to continue winning jobs on Upwork. Get started.

Hi Malik,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello,

My account was verified yesterday and I changed my profile picture because i felt it wasn't looking professional. My account is currently on hold asking me to re-verify my profile. I can't submit proposals and am worried of its effects on my clients, submitted proposals and ongoing project . This really sucks and the link sent via email to re-verify my account ain't working, am always connected to the community bot. I need this fixed any help?

Hi Pearl,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Our team just reached out to you via ticket to assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
mustafafarooq08
Community Member

Hi,
I am an active freelancer and had my profile verified almost 45 days back when I received my first job. However, my profile was put on hold on 23/5/2020 and was asked for another verification which took place over video call and i was told that i will receive an email in next 2 days. It has been over 2 days already and I am yet to receive a reply.  have not been able to submit any proposals since then. I have no idea why my account was on hold in the first place. Please look into it. 

Thank you

Hi Mustafa,

While we do try and limit the number of times we ask freelancers to verify, we sometimes require verification more than once. This is part of our ongoing effort to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. Apologies for the inconvenience it may cause.

I already followed up with the team handling your case and you can expect an update on your open ticket very soon.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
bounaaja-sari
Community Member

Hello.

I have re-verifoed my profile. But the account is still in hold. Could you tell me the reason?

Could you tell me the reason kindly ?

Hi Sari,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update. I've followed up with our team regarding your account status and your account have already been resumed.

Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Upwork
f7332b1c
Community Member

Hi there! I have 36 available connects and I've done ID and video verification, and already completed 3 projects. And now, when I'm looking for a new project, the proposal button is grayed out and inactive. Could you help me resolving this issue?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Timur,

As part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, verification is sometimes required more than once. We do try to avoid doing this repeatedly and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. 

Please refer to this ticket for more information regarding the verification process, where our team already shared tips about using a device with a connected camera and microphone for the verification process. Use the link provided in the ticket and our agent will guide you through the process!

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths