🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Why do I have to verify my identity again...
Page options
slawomir_rewaj
Community Member

pointless re-verify

Hello,

I'm a top rated freelancer and I verified my identity last month. Now I have got the same request again.

Taking 10 minutes to do it is not a big deal, although I would prefer that Upwork respects my time rather then feeling entitled to waste it on pointless excercises.
I have passed it and it was no different then the previous one.

The bigger issue is that my account is on temporary hold and it lasts longer then 10 minutes. Upwork claims that it has up to 48 hours to release it.
I'm worried about how this is presented to the clients.

The main question is - why do Upwork even does it so often? Do you think that my identity changed within a month?

Kind regards

Slawek

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jae Sung, 

At times, for a variety of reasons, we need to ask our users to verify their identity or other information. Please know we do try to avoid doing this repeatedly. However, as part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, we must reach out to users again sometimes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To verify your identity, log into your Upwork account and click on “Settings.” In the left-hand column, choose “Identity Verification.” Follow the steps there to begin verification. For tips on correctly completing the process and details about the documents needed, click here.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

638 REPLIES 638
jae_sung_kim
Community Member

I've been through the whole video interview and uploading documents process. Today I found out I can't withdraw funds and will need to upload my ID again. Can I get an explanation why a "top rated" freelancer needs to go through this process again?

Hi Jae Sung, 

At times, for a variety of reasons, we need to ask our users to verify their identity or other information. Please know we do try to avoid doing this repeatedly. However, as part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, we must reach out to users again sometimes. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To verify your identity, log into your Upwork account and click on “Settings.” In the left-hand column, choose “Identity Verification.” Follow the steps there to begin verification. For tips on correctly completing the process and details about the documents needed, click here.

~ Avery
Upwork
netdiatom
Community Member

How long does this process usually take? I have the link to verify again but have been waiting 2 days now for any response. I am under the impression I am blocked now. Very dissapointing

Hi Higgs,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I followed up with the team handling your case and you can expect an update on your open ticket in a timely manner.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

My name on upwork is Higgs Jeremy but my name is Jeremy D Higgs, not sure why its switched on my account. In the state where I live in IL they put your last name first, can I get my name corrected
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeremy,

You should be able to update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. Let us know if you need any further assistance. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,  I've earned an Identity Verified badge for my profile. But it's not showing in my profile

Hi Shaikat,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear that your verified profile badge is not visible on your Upwork profile. I see that you are already communicating with the relevant team via a support ticket here. One of our team members will reach out to you on the same ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on your support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Shaikat,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear that your verified profile badge is not visible on your Upwork profile. I see that you are already communicating with the relevant team via a support ticket here. One of our team members will reach out to you on the same ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on your support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
9f4d9564
Community Member

I agreed on it but I am saying that the link in not opened by clicking on that I can re-verify my identity.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out. I checked your account and it does look like it's successfully verified. If you could share a screenshot of the issue you're having, that would definitely help.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi AJ! I received an email before 18 hours, that I need to re-verify my identity in next 7 days otherwise my account will get on hold. But when I logged in to my account and go to Identity Verification section it shows "Successfuly Verified on 16 March". So I need ot know that the email I received was wrong or the link is in glitched and not showing in my profile Identity Verification section. Here I am attaching the screenshots of both screens.

9f4d9564_0-1679155087940.png9f4d9564_1-1679155141454.png

Hi Muhammad,

I checked with the relevant team and can confirm that you're not required to complete any verification at the moment, you can disregard the email you received. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
jose-aj
Community Member

I'm having the same problem Annie I submited aticket to support  9 days ago.... I've been without working for 9 days waiting ....

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jose, 

I have followed up on your ticket with the team. If you don't get a response within 48 hours, let us know and our team will assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
ccbee5c0
Community Member

I have probs with that email to 

Hi Craig,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
5466261a
Community Member

Hello Avery,

I'm facing a challenging situation where, even after completing identity verification four times, my proposals are consistently being archived whenever I receive a verification notification. This repetitive issue is leading to unnecessary consumption of my time, efforts, and the connects used for job proposals. It's increasingly disruptive and requires prompt resolution.

Hi Ghulam,

In general, a suspension will result in proposals being automatically withdrawn and transferred to archived. 

In the future, if you see a prompt that requires your attention like identity verification, please respond immediately so that incidents like this will not be encountered. Also, we recommend reviewing our ToS as any violation will also result to suspension and get your proposals withdrawn.

~ AJ
Upwork
5466261a
Community Member

My concern is regarding Upwork's process of moving proposals to the archive state each time I receive an account verification notification. Why should I incur the expense of connects due to Upwork's inefficient workflows?

42b2c81f
Community Member

Hello, i completed the procedure of verification some days ago, i have already applied for some jobs but once again when i try to apply for more jobs, the system asks me to verify again my identity. Could you please tell me if everything is fine with my account or  do i have to verify again? Thank you in advance!

Hi Georgios-Ioannis,

Your ID has been approved, and the badge should be reflected in your account within 24 hours. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

I've done the same thing, earned my badge and got blocked after a couple of weeks.They force you to video-chat with a picture of a random guy or girl - it is an absolute viloation of our privacy rights and unbelievably outrageous business policy. **edited for Community Guidelines**

I even can't delete my account - another violation and seizure of my personal data (communist practice as well). It's just ridiculous but if they want to loose everybody - I have no problem with that. If only I could leave ... 🙂

Hi Tilo,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I already responded to your previous post regarding the requested verification. If you would like to close your account, please follow the steps provided in this help article.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Slawomir R wrote:

why do Upwork even does it so often? Do you think that my identity changed within a month?

You have no idea how many accounts change owner in any given month.

I understand then that it's not about my security, but about the enforcement of Upwork terms of service, which disallow the users from selling their accounts.

That may be understandable, but it probably doesn't work anyway.

In any case Upwork should release the hold on the account immediately, not within 48 hours. That makes no sense at all. If they are willing to tilt at the windmills then that's their decision, but they should limit the impact on the people trying to earn the money for them

Slawomir R wrote:

> That may be understandable, but it probably doesn't work anyway.

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proofs.

> In any case Upwork should release the hold on the account immediately, not within 48 hours.

I was lucky, I got cleared within minutes, but I totally agree that they should clear people immediately. Freezing accounts of honest people is not acceptable.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Slawomir R wrote:

> That may be understandable, but it probably doesn't work anyway.

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proofs.

You have doubts that loads of scammers are getting past the system? I guess you don't see the multiple posts every single day from people saying things like, "I accidentally uploaded the wrong photo to my profile and now I need to change it," or "I accidentally typed in the wrong name" or "I accidentally entered the wrong bank information". I would wager that only a tiny fraction of these people are genuinely poor typists. Not to mention all of the buying and selling of accounts online by people who already know that they'll have to pass the video verification and identity checks on behalf of the new account owner, and offer that as part of their fee. It sucks that some legit people end up with frozen accounts, but I don't think it can be argued that Upwork should be doing fewer, quicker or less thorough identity checks.

adam26d
Community Member

How often do i need to reverify my account, I just did an hour ago and just got an email to reverify 10 minutes ago. Its confounding and feels wrong, really 😞

Hi Adam,

Your ID verification request has been lifted from your account.

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
oquintela
Community Member

I agree. I did this in February, now I had to go through the same process.

When I told them that I had already done the video call they said they knew I had recently gone "through badge verification" but that this new process for "ID verifying" my account was "separate from this video verification request.", concluding that the process I completed  3 months ago was "a quick verification to qualify for badge, only.". Here's the message I received after completing the call a few minutes ago:Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 09.48.24.png

I already had the badge.

People who are verified can be randomly verified again. Happened to me. I'm happy they are doing this especially with TR profiles. Just saw and add on Reddit for **Edited for Community Guidelines** who is selling UW approved accounts.

Go Upwork, **Edited for Community Guidelines**

-----------

If I wanted to sell my account this whole procedure would do nothing to prevent the deception.

I would change the email account few months earlier to some throw away one. Then I would have waited for the video interview to happen. After it I would just pass the access to the throwaway email account to the new owner.

He would have plenty of time to deceive the clients before the next interview. I assume the account reputation would be ruined much earlier then the new interview request. 

This whole procedure is just a waste of time. Not to mention that Upwork is something like 90% deception anyway, both clients and freelancers, and fixing account selling will not change much in that anyway.

Slawomir R wrote:

Not to mention that Upwork is something like 90% deception anyway, 

Oh man I feel you, that sucks. If I had 90% of bad experiences on Upwork like you did, I would have left already.

-----------

I don't see a reason to do that as long as the 10% makes me enough money, and I'm able to differentiate between the two.

I'm more annoyed by the treatment by Upwork and this is something which may lead me to moving somewhere else.

Slawomir R wrote:

I'm more annoyed by the treatment by Upwork and this is something which may lead me to moving somewhere else.

I agree accounts should be released swiftly after a hold (but usually the hold comes after a request was ignored?)

But I would not do the "If you don't change the way you do business I am leeeeeaaaaving..." threat.

Those are always funny, considering that Upwork has twice as many freelancers as it needs or wants in almost every category.

I have got the hold together with the request. The same happened last month.

The hold was finally removed, after 5 hours.

Not that bad, as it probably didn't affect any of my clients.

Hi, everybody.

Last week I received re-verify mail from upwork, but I don't understand why.

I already have passed video calling and ID verification.

But it need to video call again, and it says need to do for 10 mins.

My English skill is not so good, so I'm worry.

Hope someone to help me.

Thanks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths