cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

position removed by Upwork after I sent personal info

daneckstein
Daniel M. E Member Since: Oct 10, 2017
1 of 11

I just received a message from Upwork that a position I applied for "has been reviewed and removed by a member of the Upwork Marketplace Quality team. "  Problem is, I was contacted by that employer yesterday and hired, and they requested W9, passport, etc, which I provided. Have I been scammed? Can I rescind the message I sent them with those attachments?

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
2 of 11

//Have I been scammed?//

Still doubt?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 11

You just had your identity stolen. Expect accounts being opened with your credentials all over the place...

when you say you have been hired, are you sure?

when you go to the “My Jobs” tab, is the contract there? If not you have NOT been hired.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

daneckstein
4 of 11

Petra,

Thanks for your reply. I went back to my messages log and deleted the post to them that provided the personal info. There last email to me was at 2am my time, suggesting they are in a very different time zone, and perhaps never opened my message with the personal info. 

If I deleted it before they saw it, am I safe?

Dan

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 11

@Daniel M. E wrote:

If I deleted it before they saw it, am I safe?

No, they almost certainly received it by email copy

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
6 of 11

Daniel, you've learned a big lesson here. Don't give anyone your personal documents and info. They don't need it. Part of the draw for clients about an online freelancing platform is that they don't need to mess around with hiring documents and human resource issues. If they're asking for your personal info and documents they are trying to scam you. Period. The little voice within should have been screaming about how bad of an idea that was. Next time, listen to it. In the meantime, you should famliliarize yourself with common fraudulent practices on the internet. 

daneckstein
7 of 11

Melissa,

Thanks for your reply. I am new to Upwork and didn't think it through. I have deleted the message I sent them with the personal docs. If they didn't read it in the interim, would that resolve the problem?

Dan

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
8 of 11

Being new to Upwork isn't the same as being new to the internet. I don't mean to be harsh, but this is glaringly obvious. I wouldn't have dreamed of giving anyone that info even on my first day on Upwork. Luckily, now neither will you. If they didn't retrieve the docs before you deleted the message they won't have your docs [PETRA IS RIGHT, I FORGOT ABOUT THE EMAIL TRIGGERED BY MSGS]. But, there's no real way to assume they didn't see your msg based on time zone. Fraudsters are eager enough to steal from you that they may not keep typical working hours, no matter their time zone. 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
9 of 11

Highly recommend that you read this thread and especially Lena's post about avoiding questionable jobs: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
10 of 11

@Daniel M. E wrote:

I just received a message from Upwork that a position job I applied for "has been reviewed and removed by a member of the Upwork Marketplace Quality team. "  Problem is, I was contacted by that employer client yesterday and hired, and they requested W9, passport, etc, which I provided. Have I been scammed? Can I rescind the message I sent them with those attachments?

Last thing, because I truly don't want to pile on the misery, but your terms are telling. Clients are not employers. Freelance jobs are not positions. That is the language of employer-employee relationships. Client-freelancer relationships are inherently different and follow a different set of guidelines. Employers will ask for your personal info for tax and hiring purposes. Clients here don't need that info because they are hiring freelancers on a temporary contract basis - the info you filled out to set up your Upwork profile serves as your W9. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS