cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profile assessment

Brian R Member Since: Dec 7, 2014
1 of 14

Hello everyone.  I am new to this sight and have been putting out application as soon as they become avaliable to me.  The problem I have is that I keep getting declined and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Is it possible for someone to look at my profile and be very honest and let me know what about my profile is getting me declined?

Trust me I have very thick skin and can handle anything you can throw at me.  I just need an honest review.

Thanks for you time and suggestions.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 14

Brian, I'm no expert, but I'll add my two cents.

You're not smiling in your photo. oDesk says you should be smiling. Maybe they have data suggesting that helps.

In your tests section:

Management Skills Test: 50%
Telephone Etiquette Certification 61%

These numbers seen lower than some clients may hope to see.

You can retake a test after one month, and you can hide any test that you don't want displayed. Try taking some English proficiency, English vocabulary, English spelling tests. That might add to your total test count so you can have a higher quota, and you can hide your 50% and 61% scores until you can do better on those.

You wrote: "full time work at home person."

I prefer "full-time, work-from-home professional."

Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
3 of 14

You have no work experience listed, and no education. A client would think that either you never held a job of any kind or you were just too lazy to fill out the profile. Either one is not good. Fill in your profile with more information.

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 14

I don't know if it's just me, but I am seeing a lot of profiles now with no work experience or education. I'm not sure if this is the freelancers' doing or oDesk messing with profile views.

Community Guru
5 of 14
Marcia, I can directly answer your question. In the edit profile tool, there are specific places for entering education and work history. You have seen these things yourself on your ow edit profile page. But on my public profile page, none of that information is shown. I did not even really notice until I read your question and checked this out for myself. So the answer is yes, oDesk is messing around with the profile. Maybe the hide or show that info in a way they think will make the profile most successful in getting jobs. I have no idea. For myself, I don't mind that the work history and education are hidden because the other parts of my profile get me plenty of work. But it is kind of odd.
Oudin S Member Since: Dec 7, 2014
6 of 14

I'm currently in the same situation as Brian. However I did fill out my profile add work experience, portfolio etc.

So far I've only been able to get two jobs in two months of continuous application posting. Most jobs are decliend or expire.

I would love to get anyone's 2 cents on my profile as well.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
7 of 14

Oudin, your profile isn't public so it's difficult to get to it to comment. Your title says CEO & Founder. Unless you're looking for a CEO role, fill it with something more relevant to the positions you're applying for.

Your overview is a mix of first person (I) and third person (he). I did a quick Google search for the 2nd sentence (third person) in your overview, and it seems you copy/pasted it from someone else. Don't copy/paste other people's overview! If a client can't trust in your ability to write your own overview, how can they entrust you with their project?

Your profile doesn't make it very clear just exactly what services you offer. If it wasn't for your portfolio (which is good), I couldn't tell that you're building eCommerce solutions and also do logo design. List it in your overview and take more tests.

You have an agency and most clients want to hire individuals so address the benefits of working with your agency versus an individual freelancer in your cover letter.

You have one hourly job at $5.56/hr on your profile (ask your client to provide a rating!), but your profile rate is $50. This doesn't make much sense. If you take on jobs for a fraction of your profile rate, consider lowering it.

Good luck!

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
8 of 14

It's all about the cover letter! Without a decent cover letter, clients won't even see your profile. A lot of cover letters out there are just copied and pasted. Stand out by throwing a little personality in there, even a joke or two. You want a client to skim cover letters and see something original which has obviously taken a little effort.

I personally don't think many clients view someone's profile, and if they do - it's only to look at the said person's feedback.

Landing a job can sometimes be difficult; especially when you have no credibility so this could take time. Try and focus on U.S jobs, as your likelihood will increase drastically with those jobs. 

Don't be disheartened if it's taking a long time. There is a huge amount of competition out there. Sell yourself!

Good luck!

Oudin S Member Since: Dec 7, 2014
9 of 14

Thanks for the valued feedback I will take them into consideration.

Community Guru
10 of 14

Oudin, IT'S PROBABLY ONLY ON MY SCREEN, but in your profile photo you look like you're sucking your thumb.

You shouldn't worry about this, though. Maybe it's ONLY on my computer screen that you look that way. Maybe the clients you apply to work for have better eyes than me and better computer screens, so when they see your photo, you don't look like you're sucking your thumb.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS