🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: profile name does not match legal name
Page options
christinagray00
Community Member

profile name does not match legal name

My current profile name does not match my legal name. It has not created any issues with getting work or getting paid, but I am afraid it is going to cause issues down the road at some point. I tried to change it when I was creating my account and going through the verification process, but it did not work for some reason.

Here's the background:

- I created a profile using my professional name "Christina Gray"

- As part of the verification process, I submitted my CA DL with my legal name "Christine Grail" and submitted a request to change the name on my profile, as well, so that it would match

- My profile was ID verified (not sure how?) but the name change never went through

- I submitted another request to change the name later on but got an error saying that I couldn't change it because it needed to match my legal name (which is ironically what I was trying to do!)

How can I resolve this?

Thanks!
Christina

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christine, it looks like when you submitted your ID before, it was for a different type of verification, to verify your location. We do try to limit the number of times we ask users to verify their identity. Sometimes, however, we need to ask again. In this case, the notification you see is for the ID badge and is completely optional. Here is more information about it. If you are interested, feel free to click Get Started and complete the process. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christina,

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your name needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable. 

Changing your name to anything other than a recognized name variation (for example James to Jim) will require ID verification.

Let us know if you have any other questions and please check this help article for more information on how to update your profile name.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

With all due respect, Bojan....

I think you want to re-read Christina's OP again, and then delete your canned response and try again with one which actually addresses the points she is posting about.

It is entirely pointless telling her she should do what she tried to do all along, not to mention the nice "Well, that went wrong, didn't it" moment of giving her the ID verified status on the strength of an ID which does not match her Upwork account name.

Bojan,

Just to clarify... due to a glitch in the Upwork website, my profile currently does NOT represent my legal name and I'm trying to get it fixed. I tried to correct the name when I was going through the verification process, but it did not work. The verification passed but the name on the profile was not updated to match the documents that were submitted with my verification.

Thanks,

Christina

Hi Christina,

I apologize for the confusion. We followed up with our team about your concern. Both your ID verification and name change request are approved now.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks! My correct legal name is now showing up for my profiel, but it is asking me to go through the verification process and upload my ID, etc. Should I do that again? Or is there a way to go around it? The ID I originally sent is valid and matches the new name.

Christine, it looks like when you submitted your ID before, it was for a different type of verification, to verify your location. We do try to limit the number of times we ask users to verify their identity. Sometimes, however, we need to ask again. In this case, the notification you see is for the ID badge and is completely optional. Here is more information about it. If you are interested, feel free to click Get Started and complete the process. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I logged out and logged back in after a few hours and everything looks good now. It is no longer blocking me from submitting to jobs and asking me to verify.

Thank you for helping me to fix this!

Christine

Hi Bojan,
I have a problem to verify my identity, actually, I changed my name from **Edited for Community Guidelines** (which is my professional name but not official) to **Edited for Community Guidelines** (my official name on the ID card) with the help of Upwork community after explaining the reason, cause it was denied first when I tried to change from settings. 

Now it is **Edited for Community Guidelines** on my Upwork account, I need to verify my identity and when I am trying to upload my identity documents the text box auto-fills to the previous name and not allowing me to enter my official name. (I am attaching the pictures also please view them)

Please suggest me about the next process, Thanking you in advance for your time and support. 

Regards:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Israr,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
6eb44b5e
Community Member

i am new to upwork. I have use my google account to create my account, unfortunately, what appears there is my daughters name. I have tried to change it under settings, less than 24hrs later, my name was updated but checking on my profile, it is still appear Ava Leianna instead of Xylyn Ann. How can i correct this?

Hi Xylyn Ann,

I checked your account, and I can see that you have already requested to change your name. Your request has been approved as well. Thanks! 

~ Joanne
Upwork
muhamedr
Community Member

Can i know my name on upwork .. because i submitted my name Mohamed**Edited for community guidelines**but you told me that my name is**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Mohamed,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
32b8891f
Community Member

I'm new here, and I am confused. Just like everyone else here, my profile name went by my english name (Ray Li) instead of my legal name**Edited for community guidelines**. Of course, I am going through the ID vertification process. However, I have a question. Does the name bank statements have to match the Upwork profile name? If so, then I am screwed.

Hi Ray,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding your concern. One of our agents will update your ticket to assist you further. As for your concern with the name on the account, please know that to set up payment to your bank or payment account, you must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on that account, or demonstrate that you are authorized by the business to do so. The listed name on the account must match your verified name on Upwork. Here's the help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
c2c9ce2e
Community Member

Hi
My current profile name does not match my legal name. It has not created any issues with getting work or getting paid (I am not Sure), but I am afraid it is going to cause issues down the road at some point. I tried to change it when I was creating my account and going through the verification process, but it did not work for some reason.

Here's the background:

- I created a profile using my professional name "Sohail Khan"

- As part of the verification process, I submitted my ID card with my legal name "Muhammad Sohail Khan" and i want to submit a request to change the name on my profile, as well, so that it would match

How can I resolve this?

Thanks!
Muhammad Sohail Khan

Hi Sohail,

Thank you for your message. You can initiate a name change request from the Settings page if you would like to update your name.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths