cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

purple cow

Highlighted
Aaron B Member Since: Aug 5, 2018
11 of 24

So what's the deal? I don't quite see why this is happening? Is it a scam? A company that compiles projects? Why are they all so similar, and is it a problem?

@Reinier B wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

Most of the “purple cow” RFPs have a common wording:

“As far as the editing goes, I’m on a pretty short deadline so I need someone who can work quickly and focus attention on this project over the next 2 weeks. I need the content and copy edits completed by the [xxxxxx]. The book is [xxxx] words. I'm looking for someone with editing experience and with interest in this type of book. I'm working on this book with proven best sellers so this will be great exposure for you and your work. If you're interested in the project, submit a proposal with why you're interested & your price. Also, please include the phrase ‘purple monkey [or cow or pig]’ at the top of your bid.”

...and make sure you make the author's work pass copyscape.

Highlighted
Aaron B Member Since: Aug 5, 2018
12 of 24

I've answered my own question.

There are several programs and groups that teach about self publishing out there. As part of those programs, they offer a boilerplate text to help participants get started. So often, the messages are the same simply because they're learning how to go about this from the same resources. Which is also why so many of them are from new clients without much experience or information in their profile. 

I've had good experience with Purple Cow Posters so far and I hope to have more.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Heath S Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
13 of 24

My wife's college mascot was a purple cow. I give her no end of grief about that. I mean what kind of institution of higher learning uses a purple cow? 

EDIT: She just came into my office, read my post over my shoulder, and flipped me off.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 24

@Heath S wrote:

My wife's college mascot was a purple cow. I give her no end of grief about that. I mean what kind of institution of higher learning uses a purple cow? 

EDIT: She just came into my office, read my post over my shoulder, and flipped me off.

Of course she did. What kind of behavior would you expect from a person educated at an institution represented by a purple cow?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
15 of 24

@ Heath --  I suspect I know what esteemed institution is her alma mater. I live in "The Purple Valley" and "The Village Beautiful."

ETA :  My own college was (is) situated in a town whose official motto (well-known) is: "Cows, Colleges, and Contentment." That is the sign that greets drivers at each end of the rural highway that leads into the small town boating two colleges, one Malt-O-Meal factory, many cows, and... well... arguably not much else.IJL with a heifer.jpg

Highlighted
Matija M Member Since: Apr 7, 2016
16 of 24

Oh God, so the purple cows aren't a one-time thing? Sheesh...

I once saw a job posting that outright said something along the lines of "purple cows are those that stand out from the crowd, are you a purple cow? Please mention purple cow in your cover letter."

This was too hilarious not to reply to, so in the relevant section I wrote: "I am not a purple cow, I am a turquoise bull. If purple cows stand out in a herd of regular ones, imagine how much a turquoise bull stands out in a herd of purple cows!"

They... didn't get back to me, but still it was well worth the connects!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Heath S Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
17 of 24

@Matija M wrote:

This was too hilarious not to reply to, so in the relevant section I wrote: "I am not a purple cow, I am a turquoise bull. If purple cows stand out in a herd of regular ones, imagine how much a turquoise bull stands out in a herd of purple cows!"

If you breed a purple cow with a turquoise bull, do you get paisley offspring? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
18 of 24

@Heath S wrote:

@Matija M wrote:

If you breed a purple cow with a turquoise bull, do you get paisley offspring? 

Only if the curve is right!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
19 of 24

Unfortunately, they aren't a one-time thing because, as has been mentioned, too many freelancers DO NOT read the full job post. Which is just stupid irresponsible. Not to mention unprofessional. If you're actually any good at your job, why would you NOT try to find out as much information up front as possible? This is a big reason I don't mind the nonsense phrases some clients ask me to drop into the cover letter. The only time I DO mind is when they haven't actually put anything of substance IN the initial job posting (which has happened from time to time). Why make me read the whole thing if you're not going to tell me anything useful to begin with?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 24

The ONLY thing I think of when I hear "Purple Cow" is Milka Chocolate.

It's either because I'm German or because I'm low carbing hence no chocolate Smiley Sad

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS