🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: purposal arrangements
Page options
chopaqureshi
Community Member

purposal arrangements

I have a difficult questions

Please make a clear and suitable answer

How is our sent proposal ranked when we apply for any particular job?

How does a client see it? With respect to

-Time.

-Amount earned.

-Exact synchronization of title and skills?

Anyone have an idea? then please share this.

Thanks for readi

HI Upwork ommunity,

i  apply only for those jobs on which less than 10 proposals have been sent?

OR

i  can apply on that job (best match skills) on which more than 50 proposal have been sent

How can I know that job best matches my s kills?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
allpurposewriter
Community Member

Muhammad, you sound nervous. I don't have direct answers to your questions; I didn't even know proposals were ranked by algorithms. Now I'm going to have trouble sleeping well because of that. (I always thought my skills were the deciding factor -- I know it's not my personality.) 

Anyway, I do pay attention to how long a job opportunity has been posted. I figure a few hundred thousand people per minute look at a job posting, so if it's been online for three hours, I'm probably going to be the 82,934th qualified person to apply for the job and I usually just look for something fresher than that.

On the other hand, the less you discriminate the better. Don't worry about what you shouldn't apply for and find a way to apply as fast and as often as you can to anything that appeals to you. In a numbers game, you don't have to fret so much about each individual proposal. 

That doesn't answer your questions directly, but I would like to mention the default answer in the forums here is "thank you," not "I'm not satisfied with your answer." After all, people are just trying to help.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
AndreaG

Hi Muhammad,

Clients have multiple options to choose from when sorting the proposals they receive from freelancers. Newest/Oldest applicants, Highest/Lowest Hourly rate, Highest earnings, and Best Match which is the default.

For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

~Andrea
Upwork

HI Andrea, thanks for your reply

I am not satisfied with your answer

Why you not  give a clear answer?

i ask you about 

How is our sent proposal ranked infront of client view?

But you send me article(writing proposal) link

Moreover you also not give aswers for below questions

(1)How can I know that job best matches my s kills?

(2) i  can apply on that job (best match skills) on which more than 50 proposal have been sent ?

MUHAMMAD UMAIR Q wrote:

I am not satisfied with your answer

How rude!

MUHAMMAD UMAIR Q wrote:

How is our sent proposal ranked infront of client view?

By default, the proposals are ordered in the order of "best match", as determined by an algorithm. Upwork won't give you specific details to prevent abuse.

MUHAMMAD UMAIR Q wrote:

(1)How can I know that job best matches my s kills?

(2) i  can apply on that job (best match skills) on which more than 50 proposal have been sent ?

1 - You know your skills, don't you? Check what skills are requested. This is actually a silly question

2 - You can apply to anything you like, of course. Nothing is stopping you. Whether there is any point or not is another question. This is another silly question.

HI Petra,

Sorry for the late reply
There is no doubt that you are quick and professional ,You joined Upwork when I was in matriculation(2011)

Excuse me, You misunderstood my question

Everyone wants their own self-respect

Moreover , there is no need to make reply because Anthony give me a great solution

Thanks Anthony

MUHAMMAD UMAIR Q wrote:

HI Petra,

Sorry for the late reply
There is no doubt that you are quick and professional ,You joined Upwork when I was in matriculation(2011)

Excuse me, You misunderstood my question

Everyone wants their own self-respect

Moreover , there is no need to make reply because Anthony give me a great solution

Thanks Anthony

Wow, Petra and Martina answered you before Anthony, that even didn't how the proposals were classified (Anthony, I wasn't quite sure how it is either) and the answer is the same with more words.
But, the good answer is ...
Uhmm!

MUHAMMAD UMAIR Q wrote:

(1)How can I know that job best matches my s kills? that is up to you to decide. 

(2) i  can apply on that job (best match skills) on which more than 50 proposal have been sent ? that is up to you to decide. 

allpurposewriter
Community Member

Muhammad, you sound nervous. I don't have direct answers to your questions; I didn't even know proposals were ranked by algorithms. Now I'm going to have trouble sleeping well because of that. (I always thought my skills were the deciding factor -- I know it's not my personality.) 

Anyway, I do pay attention to how long a job opportunity has been posted. I figure a few hundred thousand people per minute look at a job posting, so if it's been online for three hours, I'm probably going to be the 82,934th qualified person to apply for the job and I usually just look for something fresher than that.

On the other hand, the less you discriminate the better. Don't worry about what you shouldn't apply for and find a way to apply as fast and as often as you can to anything that appeals to you. In a numbers game, you don't have to fret so much about each individual proposal. 

That doesn't answer your questions directly, but I would like to mention the default answer in the forums here is "thank you," not "I'm not satisfied with your answer." After all, people are just trying to help.

Anthony H wrote:

I figure a few hundred thousand people per minute look at a job posting, so if it's been online for three hours, I'm probably going to be the 82,934th qualified person to apply for the job and I usually just look for something fresher than that.

You can see how many people have applied at the bottom of the project post. Niche projects and/or those that require really high-level skills might not have lots of applicants, even after hours or days.

Anthony H wrote:

I disagree with all of this - it's not a numbers game, and it's best to only apply to jobs for which you're an extremely good fit. Upwork supposedly started charging for connects in order to discourage people from applying "as fast and as often" to anything and everything.

Muhammed, the services that you're offering are some of the most common on Upwork, so I can see why you're having difficulties deciding which projects are a particularly good "fit" for you. Unfortunately with data entry, it mostly comes down to who offers the lowest price. Apart from that, I would look for jobs in which the client mentions that they're in a particular industry or type of business that you have experience with, or if you have an exact sample of the kind of work that they're looking for (i.e. something that you did for a previous client and have permission to share) - that would give you the best chance to stand out from your competition.

Anthony H wrote:

On the other hand, the less you discriminate the better. Don't worry about what you shouldn't apply for and find a way to apply as fast and as often as you can to anything that appeals to you.

Such incredibly poor advice, especially for a new freelancer. It's the path to profile suicide.

Anthony H wrote:

I figure a few hundred thousand people per minute look at a job posting, so if it's been online for three hours, I'm probably going to be the 82,934th qualified person to apply for the job and I usually just look for something fresher than that.

Why would you assume something like that rather than just look at the number of proposals?

After a mere 3 hours? Seriously? That is beyond bizarre.

Petra: 

To quote from a recent post I read: How rude.

Anyway, each to his own, I guess. I've got more offers than I can handle, so I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Anthony H wrote:

I've got more offers than I can handle, so I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.

There is, but in this particular thread, we're talking about best practices to help a newbie get hired. I assumed - perhaps mistakenly, I'll admit - that someone who has plenty of money to spend on connects for the "spray and pray" method wouldn't be in the forum asking for advice.

Point taken. And, I don't spray and pray. I'm very select. I think I wrote to go after jobs that were appealing, not just any old opportunity.

I did say don't discriminate, so maybe that came across as beyond what I meant. But I didn't mean go out there and slash and burn.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members