🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: question regarding Temporary Account Hold
Page options
tomliuwhite
Community Member

question regarding Temporary Account Hold

Yesterday I got one mail
titled: Temporary Account Hold - Action Required
content: I am writing to let you know your account has been placed on a temporary hold because you agreed to get paid outside of Upwork...
Now it is reinstated.
This is the first time that encountered this problem. And definately I do not want to have it again. I am on Upwork around 1 year. Still new to this platform. I never intended to violate the policy here. So in order to prevent from the problem, I would like to ask some questions. BTW, I have read Terms of Service. But still need some clarifications.
1, what does that really mean 'get paid out ot Upwork'?
I met some clients who are recruiting freelancers from Upwork.
a, Sometimes it is from company, they just give you the url of their company and ask you to send your resume to their site. Is this allowed on Upwork?
b, Sometimes it is individual, they asked if you can send the project to their email and they will pay through paypal(out of Upwork). Is this allowed on Upwork?
c, from reading the policy, it seems that if you have established the relationship with clients more than 2 years, then you can get paid out of Upwork, is this correct?
d, If I met some clients that require me to get paid out of Upwork, do I have to report them? Can I just leave them there since some of them are also quite new to Upwork and may not know the policy clearly.

2, For emails, skype...when I type email address in messages, I notice the yellow warnings. If this happen too many times, will it cause 'account got suspended'? Some clients require me to send the projects to their emails for certain reaons(such as the file is too big...).

3, For the clients who ask me to register in their website or send resume to them, do I need to do something about it? Since it already happend before I knew the policy, will my past conversation/behaviors affect my future on Upwork?

4, If somehow it happens again(which is what I do not want), will my account permanently? is there a channel that I can tell the story from my side?

5, Is it possible that I can find out what triggers this incident(account got suspended yesterday) happen?

Thanks a lot!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

1. It means receiving anything in a manner oter than your Upwork account

a. No, that is not allowed unless there is a contract already in place

b. No

c. yes

d. theoretically you are supposed to report them. I educate them instead.

2. Not necessarily, but you are not allowed to share means of contacting you until you have been hired. Once you have been hired, it's not a problem.

3. Simply respond clearly that you are not going to do so. It is fine to send a resume through Upwork, provided you have removed the contact details.

4. Probably and no, there is no "your side of the story" - your account has been resumed, move on.

5, No

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

1. It means receiving anything in a manner oter than your Upwork account

a. No, that is not allowed unless there is a contract already in place

b. No

c. yes

d. theoretically you are supposed to report them. I educate them instead.

2. Not necessarily, but you are not allowed to share means of contacting you until you have been hired. Once you have been hired, it's not a problem.

3. Simply respond clearly that you are not going to do so. It is fine to send a resume through Upwork, provided you have removed the contact details.

4. Probably and no, there is no "your side of the story" - your account has been resumed, move on.

5, No

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths