🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » question?
Page options
721e1bfb
Community Member

question?

Do I need a business name as a freelancer?  Can I offer advice and an investment advisory newsletter monthly for the clients to buy from me?  I am offering multiple services.  Furthermore, I also had 30 years following the stock market.  Do I need anything for that besides experience to do that?

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10
Community Member

You don't need to incorporate for certain things. Only worth incorporating on upwork imo if you could be sued for something you did for a client or have employees. Nobody is going to sue me over writing content they hate so I don't, but that's me. If I started making a lot more money, I would probably think differently and see an advisor.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

David G wrote:

Do I need a business name as a freelancer?  Can I offer advice and an investment advisory newsletter monthly for the clients to buy from me?  I am offering multiple services.  Furthermore, I also had 30 years following the stock market.  Do I need anything for that besides experience to do that?

You are running a business if you are a freelancer. You need to research everything about the legal framework of running a business before you start, that is your responsibility. Alternatively you can hire a consultant on upwork or anywhere else to do that for you. The forum is not the right place to get sound legal advice. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do I need a business name as a freelancer?"

David: Most Upwork freelancers do NOT have a business name.

Upwork does NOT require it.

Whether or not it would make sense for you to have an LLC or incorporation or something like that would be something that could research on your own or talk to experts, such as accountaints about.

re: "Can I offer advice and an investment advisory newsletter monthly for the clients to buy from me?"

Upwork DOES INDEED allow you to offer advice. I am often hired purely to offer advice, or "consultation."

Upwork does NOT have any rules that would prohibit you from offering services related to providing an advisory newsletter monthly for clients.

HOWEVER: Upwork DOES NOT have any sort of contract model related to offering a monthly newsletter.

AS A PRACTICAL MATTER: You will not be using Upwork as a conduit offering a monthly newsletter. The precise plan you have in mind is not going to happen using Upwork. You would need to create something like this and potentially charge customers for it independently. If YOU want to do this, you may absolutely use Upwork as a CLIENT to hire people who could help you set up a platform for doing this, help you with the payment gateway, and provide you with advise about how to do this.

To be clear:
You will not earn money on Upwork by providing a monthly investment advice newsletter.

But you MAY pay money to others to help you create just such a thing.

Question: Is it possible that YOU could get hired on Upwork to write monthly investment advice articles?

Answer: Yes. Freelancers do get hired as straightforward "writers" or "content expects" to do that type of writing. That is different than YOU using Upwork to obtain fees directly from subscribers.

re: "I also had 30 years following the stock market. Do I need anything for that besides experience to do that?"

I do not doubt that you have a great deal of wisdom and experience related to the stock market specifically and investing in general. The main impediment to your success on Upwork is your lack of understanding of the platform. It will be good for you to learn more about it... About what services Upwork actually does and does not provide. Upwork has a very narrow range of contract models and modes of getting. What Upwork offers may not fit your needs as a freelancer, but may better fit your needs as a potential client who pays other people to help him get something going.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

David F.,

Do you live in the US? If so, the legality of what you're planning to do is best discussed with a lawyer.

In general, if you are providing the same information to all of your subscribers each month then you're pretty much a journalist and pretty much free to say what you wish and charge what you wish for your publication.

If you plan to offer advice specific in any way to each of your customers, that's a completely different situation and you definitely need a lawyer's advice, which may include recommmending you take one or more state or federal securities-related exams, register with the relevant securities regulators as a financial advisor, etc.,etc.

And I don't see how Upwork could be helpful to you in finding customers or subscribers. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members