dantnan

"Activity for this job" confused..

Hello everyone.

I'm new to Upwork and trying to figure out how the system is working yet. So I have submitted 45 proposals in 20 - 30 days. But I got no respond yet. My concern is when I check the jobs that have submitted 20 days ago they have no interviews or nothing since then. Do the clients are just opening jobs and never looking back? I don't get it. Can someone please explain me is it so hard to take jobs here?

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10

Standard reasons for 0 replies from 45 proposals:

1) Terrible proposals

2) Not applying to good gigs

3) Terrible proposals and applying to terrible gigs.

It's something you have to learn and takes experimentation. Knowing good vs bad jobs is a bit of a hurdle too. 

Thanks for your reply Jennifer. I will consider your opinions in the future proposals.

mthornton-cpc

Antnan, you're partially onto something. There are plenty of clients who open jobs and don't ever hire anyone. It happens for many reasons: clients not knowing how to use the platform, their needs change but they haven't cancelled the job posting, etc. And then you have the subset of clients who are simply the bad ones. 

Jennifer is right - you have to apply to the right jobs. Those of us who are successful here only submit proposals to jobs that are a good fit for our skills, our finances, our schedules, and the clients' needs. Personally, I don't submit proposals to job postings from clients who don't have a verified payment method, who don't have previous Upwork hiring experience, or who have star ratings of less than 4.25. I've found that, typically, clients who meet those characteristics provide a better rate of return both on converting proposals > interviews > offers as well as being more experienced which means I spend less time educating them about how to use the platform.  

Learning which jobs to submit proposals to is something that comes with time. Targeting good jobs always works better than submitting to a wide field and hoping something lands. 

Thanks for your detailed reply Melissa. That will help me a lot. Before I make proposals I will consider checking the clients stats.

@Antnan D wrote:

Thanks for your detailed reply Melissa. That will help me a lot. Before I make proposals I will consider checking the clients stats.

It's not the perfect fix, but it really cuts down on the jobs that have a tendency to be money pits.