🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » "CONNECTS" SHOULD BE BANNED FROM UPWORK
Page options
e7c7e16c
Community Member

"CONNECTS" SHOULD BE BANNED FROM UPWORK

We are already giving our efforts here, and already Upwork is taking a huge fee from even the cheapest works. When our balance is being 0, and when Upwork is gonna pay you for the jobs you've done decades later, how are we supposed to find new jobs?

There's one thing UPWORK DOESN'T UNDERSTAND.

Dear Upwork, here, you are giving a service for clients and freelancers, and you are earning money through also efforts of these freelancers, then wth you are still chasing for more money with such ridiculous application? CONNECTS. What a wise idea.

I have 0 connects now. And I'm currently broke. Maybe I was gonna find a job pays me well, (which Upwork will be there for getting a big fee from it) and by that way the client was gonna be also satisfied by finding more options to work with or satisfied with my work that I've done after they agreed w me, BUT the connects thing prevents the possible job opportunities and moreover POSSIBLE MORE INCOMES FOR THIS GREEDY SYSTEM.

So, would you mind to take this as a brutal honest feedback and HEAR MY VOICE?

We are already "verified", we are even giving too much information here, we already have feedbacks on our profiles, SO WHY DO YOU STIPULATE THESE STUPID CONNECT THINGS?

You'll probably try to justify like it's for protecting our community or it is for bla bla bla some fancy words. It is obviously for money but unfortunately very very ridiculous for this system.

I hope it will be banned from this system asap.

10 REPLIES 10
f1785f8c
Community Member

Don't give up. What synths are you using for your music?

This question doesn't seem a productive one but anyway, your answer is: Almost everything. From Arturia's keyboards to Nexus, from Spire to Serum, from Sylenth to VPS Avenger...

Scorpio's Ambition is nice, good mix.

81f2681a
Community Member

Hey Fukan,

Calm down, I understands your frustration but connects isn´t so bad at all. What is realy bad is this new boosting system that makes you spend a lot of connects.

Connects has a good point: freelancers won´t spamm job posts, because connects is limited, so they will find jobs that they are realy interested on working. This is good for clients and freelancers.

Beginners can earn a lot of free connects, filling profile and doing another things. Its a good start. Also, everybody has 10 connects per month (not much, but at least is something. I think 20 connects would be good, so the freelancer can apply to at least 10 jobs that costs 2 connects.)

What is realy bad about connects: The boosting proposal system and the "avaliable now" badge, these system just makes you spends connects for nothing. Its useless.

tlsanders
Community Member

Furkan T wrote:

We are already giving our efforts here, and already Upwork is taking a huge fee from even the cheapest works.

Upwork takes a huge fee ONLY from the cheapest works--the ones they would otherwise be losing money by allowing. Would you prefer that they banned any project worth less than $500? 

When our balance is being 0, and when Upwork is gonna pay you for the jobs you've done decades later, how are we supposed to find new jobs?

Upwork, of course, pays you for hourly work at most 19-22 days after you do the work. If you do hourly work late in the week or are top rated, or the client manually approves a milestone, it is much faster.

There's one thing UPWORK DOESN'T UNDERSTAND.

Dear Upwork, here, you are giving a service for clients and freelancers, and you are earning money through also efforts of these freelancers, then wth you are still chasing for more money with such ridiculous application? CONNECTS. What a wise idea.

"Chasing more money" generally is a good idea when you have been losing a large amount of money every month for several years and will not be able to stay in business if you don't find a way to increase your revenues. 

I have 0 connects now. And I'm currently broke. Maybe I was gonna find a job pays me well, (which Upwork will be there for getting a big fee from it) and by that way the client was gonna be also satisfied by finding more options to work with or satisfied with my work that I've done after they agreed w me, BUT the connects thing prevents the possible job opportunities and moreover POSSIBLE MORE INCOMES FOR THIS GREEDY SYSTEM.

Maybe you were. But, hundreds of thousands of freelancers, maybe millions, bid without ever getting hired. And, the flood of proposals--mostly unqualified--drives clients off the site. We will not get more income (freelancers or Upwork) if most of the good clients leave the site because Upwork allows them to be drowned in hundreds of garbage proposals. 

So, would you mind to take this as a brutal honest feedback and HEAR MY VOICE?

You're probably the thousandth freelancer to post this rant. It's unlikely that Upwork will make the platform a much worse place for clients and reduce its income to a point where the monthly losses are unsustainable because the system doesn't work for you. 

We are already "verified", we are even giving too much information here, we already have feedbacks on our profiles, SO WHY DO YOU STIPULATE THESE STUPID CONNECT THINGS?

To make money. And to prevent freelancers from sending out hundreds of cut and paste proposals every day.

You'll probably try to justify like it's for protecting our community or it is for bla bla bla some fancy words. It is obviously for money but unfortunately very very ridiculous for this system.

I hope it will be banned from this system asap.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

How would you like it if you are not competing with 50+ other freelancers (whatever the real number might be), but hundreds, or thousands, for every job? Would that really increase your chances to get hired? 

If only freelancers that are verified could apply, you are closing the door on millions of people. Most freelancers never win any job. It would not be economically feasible for upwork to verify millions that will never earn any money.

And finally - many people seem to think that upwork it this huge rich corporation who has nothing better to do than annoy freelancers. The first part of this sentence definitely isn't true. 

harisfaisal1
Community Member

Furkan - Upwork is infact making money off of the connect system - as do other freelancing websites with either membership plans or bidding plans. However imagine if hundreds of available freelancers started bidding on tens of jobs because there was no limit. I don't think that would be ideal. Ensuring that the amount of proposals is regulated means that there is some form of control.

That being said I do think that connects should be cheaper and that the bidding system should be removed since it is absolutely ridiculous. 

e43135f8
Community Member

Fully AGREE!!! with every single thing you said connects are the biggest bull **bleep** ever. They already take an insanely large fee from when we do get a job. Then we also have to pay for connects to even get the job?? And the connects system is also basically gambling at this point where applying to a job has a big risk of losing all your connects.... For example when the job gets canceled or 50th others apply or other reasons that we don't get the job. And then when we do get the job the payment is already low and then we have to pay a huge fee on top of that too?? And what does upwork do to help with getting jobs ?? Nothing....  They want us to pay them so we can work for them or gamble on their website to find work.....

And the monthly connects are way too low too when most jobs are 8+ connects just to apply so that limits the user to applying to one job...

If they want to stop the spamming of jobs they should come up with a different system because this is absolutly ridiculous. 

Upwork needs money. They couldn't figure out how to make money using the platform idea numerous other platforms do, and are making lots of money. So, they decided if they dropped all the platform and category limits and tests, and let in anyone, with skills or not, they could use the connects as income, combined with firing 15% of their staff.

The biggest problem is too many unskilled people. If there are no connects, those 20 million will be sending hundreds of millions of proposals. Why not? People currently throw proposals and connects, why not send proposals all day and night? Because the clients hate it and will leave. The clients have already exited because of the overwhelming number of proposals that were not relevant and terrible

What people overlook, is that if you get unlimited proposals, so do all the other millions. Clients have left the platform because they are sick of hundreds of irrelevant, inappropriate, garbage proposals, from people who have none of the skills required. Just think about it. If your idea was put into effect, what would you do now that your competition has increased by millions?

You responded to a post that was written more than two years ago, when it only cost 2, 4 or 6 connects to bid on a job. If you look at the OP's profile, he's still on Upwork and still bidding on projects. What does that tell you? But if you can't find enough work here to justify the expense of buying connects, then of course it would be a mistake to continue throwing your money away.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths