Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

"Connects" - Why They Are Hurting Freelancers & Potential Opportunities

bobhuge
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
11 of 24

Yep.  it's only data and it can be manipulated and filtered how ever they truly WANT to.  

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
12 of 24

They're hurting clients too. I posted a job. After 30 mins, I had about 45 applicants. Almost 30 were auto-hidden by oDesk for reasons I did not understand because quite a few I clicked into had relevant experience and a JS of 100%. Of the remaining 15, 6 were recommended by oDesk. Again, based on their profiles and history I could not quite understand why, but I gave them a try and invited all 6 to an interview. 1 never bothered to get back to me. The other 5 were just terrible. So I closed the job to make sure everybody gets their connects back and am exploring other options. In summary, connects were introduced to improve applications and make hiring easier, and it didn't accomplish that on the last 2 jobs I posted. Plus I find it unethical to allow freelancers to purchase connects, yet hide their applications when they use them - and want no part in that.

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
13 of 24

@Krisztina U wrote:

" Plus I find it unethical to allow freelancers to purchase connects, yet hide their applications when they use them - and want no part in that."


 I thank you Krisztina. Your ethics are commendable. Kudos.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
14 of 24

They really need to work on their filtering system.

 

I too posted a job for an expert writer, feedback 4.5 plus 1 hour worked, and in North America. (chosen from the drop down option) No agencies. Native English 

 

Out of the 10 suggested

 

3 were in North America

 

2 used Avatar pictures instead of a real picture ( I thought this was not allowed)

 

1 had a score below 4.5

 

1 was with an Agency

 

I ended up with only 2 that might be suitable. One with a rate of $17 and one at $9

 

I'll update when I review applicants not invited.

bobhuge
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
15 of 24

PLEASE, contact oDesk about what you're seeing.  

I'm a 5 star voice actor with 30 years of experience.  MUCH more experience in the field anyone who sits behind an oDesk desk (hahaha), but they think they know how to manage my field better than I do and my clients.

 

Very sad.  Smiley Sad 

 

I understand their thought process, but their solution is worse, in my opinion. 

 

Thanks!

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
16 of 24

@Jean S wrote:

They really need to work on their filtering system. ....


 Hi Jean, I'll tell you as I just told Krisztina. oDesk a multimillion dollar business. I have more than 25 years in IT. I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Dell Certified Systems Expert,  if credentials matter....The issue is not whether oDesk can filter your results, it's that they don't. Plain and simple... Be sure to question that. Not their ability. 

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
17 of 24

@Jon-Paul R wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

They really need to work on their filtering system. ....


 Hi Jean, I'll tell you as I just told Krisztina. oDesk a multimillion dollar business. I have more than 25 years in IT. I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Dell Certified Systems Expert,  if credentials matter....The issue is not whether oDesk can filter your results, it's that they don't. Plain and simple... Be sure to question that. Not their ability. 


Jon-Paul I think you're wrong in your assumption that the site is behaving the way it does on purpose. Sure, most things are. But oDesk would not introduce a filtering mechanism if they didn't want people to be able to filter. They wouldn't roll out 10 bugs with each update. The reason is that the development capacity, talent and Q&A just isn't there, or is there, but not the extent it's needed. They're hiring a new head of engineering, so we'll see if that'll finally fix it, until then, I don't feel there is any point anymore in reporting it because it's time consuming to report something like this, and the most I'll get is that it's forwarded to Engineering, along with the other 50,000 emails that were forwarded.

bobhuge
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
18 of 24

@krisztina - at least let them know that you're not happy with the way connects are limiting the quality of freelancers you have access to, PLEASE.

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
19 of 24

@Krisztina U wrote:

@Jon-Paul R wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

They really need to work on their filtering system. ....


 Hi Jean, I'll tell you as I just told Krisztina. oDesk a multimillion dollar business. I have more than 25 years in IT. I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Dell Certified Systems Expert,  if credentials matter....The issue is not whether oDesk can filter your results, it's that they don't. Plain and simple... Be sure to question that. Not their ability. 


Jon-Paul I think you're wrong in your assumption that the site is behaving the way it does on purpose. Sure, most things are. But oDesk would not introduce a filtering mechanism if they didn't want people to be able to filter. They wouldn't roll out 10 bugs with each update. The reason is that the development capacity, talent and Q&A just isn't there, or is there, but not the extent it's needed. They're hiring a new head of engineering, so we'll see if that'll finally fix it, until then, I don't feel there is any point anymore in reporting it because it's time consuming to report something like this, and the most I'll get is that it's forwarded to Engineering, along with the other 50,000 emails that were forwarded.


 Krisztina, I gave you my credentials... It's very simple to run a search query on a SQL database, which I'm certain oDesk uses, and get back the search results you want and exclude fields you don't (i.e. country, rank, etc.).

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
20 of 24

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (#1085807)
Dell Certified Systems Expert (#428496)

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS