Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Connects" - Why They Are Hurting Freelancers & Potential Opportunities

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
21 of 24
2nd Update
It's been 40 minutes since I posted the job. 
I expected to receive some emails from Odesk about applicants. I received nothing so I popped over to the website to see what was going on. Checked Notification Settings and everything is turned on to receive notifications but still not getting any.
Another 4 Applicants.
1 from Bangladesh who is a writer at $4.44 an hour
1 from Pakistan, with awful English.
2 from the US
# 1 Describes himself as Web developer (Ruby on Rails, front-end, web scraping) at $50 an hour. No feedback at all. New. 

#2 Has very bad English - Very suspect.

#3 Has a weird disturbing 5 minute video and bad English.

# 4 Suitable but not at $30 an hour.

No Suitable Candidate Yet

---------------------------------------------------

@Jean S wrote:

They really need to work on their filtering system.

I too posted a job for an expert writer, feedback 4.5 plus 1 hour worked, and in North America. (chosen from the drop down option) No agencies. Native English 

Out of the 10 suggested

3 were in North America

2 used Avatar pictures instead of a real picture ( I thought this was not allowed)

1 had a score below 4.5

1 was with an Agency

I ended up with only 2 that might be suitable. One with a rate of $17 and one at $9

I'll update when I review applicants not invited.

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
22 of 24

Jean S wrote: "They really need to work on their filtering system."

No, they need simply give you what you ask for.

Where did you guys read oDesk reported having issues filtering candidates? That's laughable. If that were the case, It's not the case. though  They simply need to decide to give you the db results you're requesting. lol... Use the job search.... Search for any job with the word "hotel".. You get only results with the word "hotel"..lol

If there db admin was that incompetent as to not have the skills to program the SQL server to return the desired results, even the secretary of the IT Director would be fired! Just for being part of such an IT department!

No, they simply need to choose to give you what you ask for.

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
23 of 24

JP - we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't believe that oDesk is offering a filter for the freelancer search yet purposely making sure it doesn't work. It doesn't make any sense. It's broken, just like many other things are. It's not about being a multi-million dollar business, it's about culture and leadership and where a company ultimately sets its priorities. I've seen tiny start ups developing brilliant software that are still pre-revenue, and I've worked at quarter billion dollar company with a ridiculously high profit margin that couldn't roll out a release without a bug if its life depended on it. Why? Because the focus on quality just wasn't there. Staff produces whatever is measured. If quality is measured, quality will be produced. If quantity and speed is measured, nobody will waste half a second on quality. 

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
24 of 24

Jon-paul

I think Krisztina has nailed it. I know that you know that they should be able to set filters that filter everything just the way people want it, because it's an easy thing to do; but time and again thay have shown themselves to be simply massively incompetent in such matters, often to the point where randomness is better than their filtered results.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS