Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Earth to Upwork, come in Upwork"

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 21

The following are the invites and recommendations I've received in the last week and a half:

Invites:
"Licensed Realtor or Broker to buy real estate online for our company". (Hmmm - is it the realtor logo in my portfolio?)

"Need an English linguist competent with English history and evolution". (so does this mean I have to remove the fact that I speak English from my profile?)

Recommendations:
"Are you a Designer of PARANORMAL ROMANCE COVERS? APPLY NOW." (Um … no)

"Need someone to erase a couple of my videos in youtube" (I need someone to stop sending me these recommendations)

"Animated history map of continent" (Animation is nowhere to be found in my list of skills)

"[NEW] Resturant History and Review Articles - New to Upwork okay" (I used to be chef - maybe somehow they knew?)

"I am a 14 year old kid looking for a decent app designer, I have an amazing app idea" (and ... he wanted you to work for a share in the profits - whoopee)

"Write an article about the history of animal communication" (I have interesting conversations with cats and dogs, but didn't think to mention this is my profile … should I?)

Shall I just have my name in my profile? Would that take care of these insane, irrelevant invites and recommendations. Vlad keeps on me to report this stuff, that the "team" is working on it, but it only seems to be getting worse.

Well, as the title says … "Earth to Upwork, come in Upwork". No advice needed, just looking to commiserate.

Over and out.

txprowriter
Debra F Member Since: May 16, 2016
2 of 21

LOL!!!

You SHOULD be writing comedic material as this is HYSTERICAL! I'm not laughing at you situation, just your fun way of communicating it.

Keep on truckin', as we used to say back in the day. You seem like an awesome writer and SOMETHING good WILL come your way!

Chin Up,

DEB F

mtngigi
Community Guru
3 of 21

Well, thanks Debra - only I'm a graphic designer, not a writer (though I do know how to put a sentence together). I use to get a lot of writing invites and recommendations, because I made the mistake of mentioning that I could help clients with copy for their ads or brochures, or whatever (which I can and have done). So I removed all mention of being literate. 

Though since my post, Upwork seems to have solved the problem by completely blocking me from receiving anything ... I've not received a single invite or recommendation since then. Just as well.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 21

Virginia F wrote:

Though since my post, Upwork seems to have solved the problem by completely blocking me from receiving anything ... I've not received a single invite or recommendation since then. Just as well.

Hi Virginia,

I checked and it looks like you unselected the option to receive recommendations from Upwork in your Notification Settings:

Screenshot_5.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
mtngigi
Community Guru
5 of 21

Ah yes, I had forgotten I did that, because Vlad recommended that I not do so, so that I could spend half my day reporting nonsense invites and recommendations to him so the "team" could fix things.

Since it's working (I guess some things on this site work). I think I'll leave it as is until Upwork takes this problem seriously.

reichstephen
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
6 of 21

I feel your pain.

samuel-wilson
Ace Contributor
Samuel W Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
7 of 21

I can relate. I've recently had these two invitations:
- I Need Web Developer Ninja

- To configure and/or integrate APIs to perform or carry out tasks AUTOMATICALLY

I've never done anything but translations and a few transcriptions.

It's obviously not the client's fault, I'm somehow being recommended by Upwork's algorithm.

reichstephen
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
8 of 21

When some millennial writes "ninja" in a job proposal 

I run for the exit page door!

Yeah Brah I need a "Ninja" to write, design and code my super uber cool idea.

Get over yourself Jr.

samuel-wilson
Ace Contributor
Samuel W Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
9 of 21

I know, I couldn't believe it the first time I saw a post like this. To me, it's screams bad client.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
10 of 21

Better yet: "Looking for a web dev ninja, budget $5"

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS