cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Hidden" Applications?

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
11 of 18
Ronald, An indicator sounds like a good idea. I also have a client account, so I can see things from that perspective too. This hidden tabs thing is annoying. As a freelancer, sometimes it takes a while to create a tailor-made cover letter for a job and then you can't even tell if it has been received. It's difficult to know if my application has been hidden or if the client isn't answering for another reason.
B B Z GH Z Member Since: Oct 28, 2012
12 of 18
[quote=Vivek G.]Hi I have more 7000+ hours and 630+ five star feedbacks. I applied jobs that best suited my skills but i'm not getting interviews for last 3 months. I think its time to say good bye odesk if they donot listen us or give appropriate solution. Thanks Vivek[/quote] odeks sold itself to elance , now by the look at everything, elance try to kill odesk slowly to win over to elance site .... why dont they just anonse we closing odesk for busines, all whats going on has made odesk worse ever than it has been . They resently blocked my job applications down to zero , and when i contact them, its all silly dumb story, I have worked more than 5000 hours, now i get into this crapiola...soon i say bye bye odesk,,,, RIP
Sergiy G Member Since: Oct 23, 2010
13 of 18
[quote=Vivek G.]Hi I have more 7000+ hours and 630+ five star feedbacks. I applied jobs that best suited my skills but i'm not getting interviews for last 3 months. I think its time to say good bye odesk if they donot listen us or give appropriate solution. Thanks Vivek[/quote] Agreed. I had a chance to see this hidden tab on my own when participated in hiring process of my prev. employer. Saw really good potential candidates hidden by system automatically and was wondering why. They were pretty good fit and employer ended up hiring a person from hidden list after I accidentally saw this tab and pointed that out, otherwise we would have lost a great person to work with. From freelancer point of view its stupid to hide profiles automatically, but in the same time give employers ability to SPAM freelancers with a jobs which do not fit their skills ("I'd like to personally invite you ..."). Recently I get nothing but SPAM offers for the jobs which is not really my type as well as get low level of response when i apply myself. And believe me i have really good profile, cover letter and resume which proved themselves before, not only within "old" oDesk. Really disappointed in this "auto-hide" feature. Even if freelancer is copy-pasting 70-80% of the Cover Letters, - who cares? Every normal human being do such and myself as well. Its NORMAL. Normally I address few things employer asks or needs and then goes standard application. I agree that if freelancer copy-pasting 100% of the texts of his cover letters and SPAMS clients with his applications then its a reason to hide such application, but in other cases its not. To odeks: Do not "think" instead of clients or freelancers, - its a road to death. Its too many automation now. Give us an ability to control on our own who is spammer or who deserves to be considered or not. You have created a problem for community because of few lazy clients and spammers. Please return "old school" oDesk we all liked.
Greten Vicke E Member Since: Nov 27, 2008
14 of 18
Pardon my ignorance, but who decided which applications become hidden? As a freelancer, I do not see any checkbox that would make my application hidden? Do clients have certain criteria, that if you fit or do not fit those criteria, you go to the hidden tab?
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
15 of 18
Clients have no say in this.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
16 of 18
A universally despised mad robot decides it.
Greten Vicke E Member Since: Nov 27, 2008
17 of 18
Yeah just browsed around the forum and yes, both clients and contractors despised this new feature. I have yet to hear a single soul who supports this feature. Not even the moderators can defend it, they just resort to some generic scripted answers. I also noticed that despite my long experience here, I am not getting any offer. Then, when I checked who got hired, I am seeing people with projects way fewer than mine and has lesser scores in ODesk tests. Not that I don't want to give newbies a chance but if it's happening consistently that newbies beat veterans in the bidding process, something weird must be going on. Yes, let's give newbies a chance because soon we will find ourselves as newbies in other freelancing websites.
Richard Anderson C Member Since: May 13, 2013
18 of 18
I like the idea, but it only looks good in theory. Use an automated system to make judgments like this one will end up with a lot of false positives. Also, it puts competing contractors to an uneven playing field, with newbies gaining the upper hand. Simply put, the system has more cons than pros, and oDesk would be better without it. But with so many in opposition of this system in place, why is it still there? CS's replies don't seem to help, either. Whatever the reason may be, whether it be that it's actually stuck in development or it's just part of Elance's plan to drive oDesk to the ground, your guess is as good as mine.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS