Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"I Need a Paper Written"

Highlighted
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
1 of 37

So what do we do when we see these postings? I'm an adjunct professor and I know a lot of you are as well: there isn't an "ethical violation" or equivalent option in the flagging options, so how do we report these types of jobs?

As a community of freelancers, I think we are best served not having these type of jobs listed.

Just my two cents.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
2 of 37

@Jared K wrote:

So what do we do when we see these postings? I'm an adjunct professor and I know a lot of you are as well: there isn't an "ethical violation" or equivalent option in the flagging options, so how do we report these types of jobs?

As a community of freelancers, I think we are best served not having these type of jobs listed.

Just my two cents.

I usually flag them as fraud but to be honest, Upwork doesn't really care about people getting their school work done here. They might say they do but I have yet to see a job I've flagged taken down.

I flagged a job a few days ago for this very thing, It even says in the title that it's a research paper for an undergraduate class but it's still up.

The client has gotten another essay written for him here as well. Again, even in the title, it clearly says it's for a comparative literature class.

I still flag them but I don't think Upwork does anything about it. Personally, I think clients who post these jobs should be banned and the freelancers who apply should receive warnings. If the freelancer continues to apply for these jobs, then they should be banned as well.

I just accepted an interview for a job that seemed a bit fishy but thought I would give the client the benefit of the doubt given their difficulty with English. Turns out the job was what I thought it was--rewrite a thesis to get rid of plagiarism. I told the client he needed to source all his material and write it in his own words and then I could help him--I haven't heard back from him. I probably shouldn't have accepted the interview because it did state the job needed paraphrasing and editing but I thought paraphrasing meant deal with bad English, not deal with plagiarism.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
3 of 37

David,

Thanks for your reply. That's what I've been doing - flagging for phising and/or fraud, but I agree, I don't think it matters much, unfortunately.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 37
This widget could not be displayed.

@Jared K wrote:

David,

Thanks for your reply. That's what I've been doing - flagging for phising and/or fraud, but I agree, I don't think it matters much, unfortunately.

If I report those job offers I do it via a ticket to customer service explaining and adding the link. Flagging for phishing and/or fraud does not help. Reporting to CS helps sometimes and sometimes not. There are some clients who seem to have specialized on those jobs and they keep on doing this.  

Highlighted
Community Leader
Teri S Member Since: Oct 17, 2011
5 of 37

On one occassion, someone listed all the course titles that they wanted all the work done for. So I googled them, found the university in question and sent an email, with screenshots, to the address on their ethics and policies page. I got a reply back asking for how to find out which "student" posted the job, and sent them the name of Upwork's CEO and an address so they could take it to Upwork directly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 37

@Teri S wrote:

On one occassion, someone listed all the course titles that they wanted all the work done for. So I googled them, found the university in question and sent an email, with screenshots, to the address on their ethics and policies page. I got a reply back asking for how to find out which "student" posted the job, and sent them the name of Upwork's CEO and an address so they could take it to Upwork directly.

I've done that. The potential client was stupid enough to add an attachment with his name, the school's name, his professor's name as well as the course.

Of course, that still doesn't top the interview I had when I first started working here. A client wanted me to take his online Master's of Education programme. He wanted me to do the whole thing--assignemnts, tests and participate in the class discussion. He was smart enough to hide the real job and had just posted for an editor. This all came out during the Skype interview.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 37

It's not illegal to write someone's academic paper so why shouldn't a freelancer do the work ... they're doing nothing wrong or illegal. The client is a different story, but if it's not illegal then why turn the job down.

We're not here to police the world. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 37

@Jean S wrote:

It's not illegal to write someone's academic paper so why shouldn't a freelancer do the work ... they're doing nothing wrong or illegal. The client is a different story, but if it's not illegal then why turn the job down.

We're not here to police the world. 

While it may not be illegal, it goes against my ethical beliefs so that's good enough for me to turn it down. Just because something is legal doesn't mean I'm willing to do it. If you feel it's fine, then you can go ahead and do it.

Also, if I remember correctly, doing people's schoolwork is against the TOS of the site. Now, arguably, Upwork doesn't seem that interested in policing that aspect of its TOS so I rely more on my ethics. This is why I advocate banning clients and freelancers who do this work. But if Upwork doesn't care enough to take action, I'm not going to get too upset about it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
9 of 37

No it''s not illegal to have someone write your paper (as to be taken to jail, or to pay a fine) , or do your homework. But maybe it is in a way.  Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work. And in my opinion, if someone other then the actual student, does my work, then that is a form of plagiarism. And students have gotten 0's or have been suspended from class because of that.

I sure would not want anyone who didn't do their own work, take their own tests to be invovled in any way with me. I don't want my taxes filled by someone who had someone else do their accounting work. I don't want my teeth cleaned by someone who had others do their school work. I don't want business plans by somewone who doesn't know how to actually create them. And I don't want consuling from someone who can't write their own papers.

But to say, they're doing nothing wrong, .... Yes, they are doing something wrong. That is morally and ethically wrong, and to brush it under the table with the thinking, "as long as I can get paid for it, it's ok" it will continual as a downward spirial of academic learrning and education.

Highlighted
Jake S Member Since: Apr 28, 2020
10 of 37

Maybe the student's time is more valuable than the time it'd take him to write the paper? Maybe instead of writing a "5 page paper," he could be building an e-commerce website. Maybe the downward spiral is actually the students potental as a result of the existing school structure... other edge of the swrd

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS