calvo_juan

"I need watermarks removed from stock photos"

I can't find the flag option for job offers that clearly try to infringe upon the copyright of others. For example, "I need watermarks removed from stock photos"...tolerating such offers only attracts the lowest of the low and keeps hurting the quality of jobs posted here.

24 REPLIES 24
versailles

Hit one of the options and they will review the job.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mtngigi

@Juan C wrote:

I can't find the flag option for job offers that clearly try to infringe upon the copyright of others. For example, "I need watermarks removed from stock photos"...tolerating such offers only attracts the lowest of the low and keeps hurting the quality of jobs posted here.

I always check off all the boxes with something like this!

Another thing you can do is send a message to the stock site, especially if it's one you have an account with.

mtngigi

And that job now has 20-50 bids on it.  Smiley Frustrated

@Virginia F wrote:

If you do a freelancer search using keyword "watermark", you'll get some results too. Some are even top rated. Cat Tongue If I didn't have work to do today, I would probably flag a few. Here's one top rated guy's 5 star review:

"Really excellent, very good communication. Did a lot of watermark and logo removal. Would hire him again." Cat Tongue

And here's what he says for his first portfolio item: "Client was looking for someone who can remove watermark from pictures urgently." AND the thumbnail clearly shows the watermarks he removed. Cat Tongue

@John K wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

If you do a freelancer search using keyword "watermark", you'll get some results too. Some are even top rated. Cat Tongue If I didn't have work to do today, I would probably flag a few. Here's one top rated guy's 5 star review:

"Really excellent, very good communication. Did a lot of watermark and logo removal. Would hire him again." Cat Tongue

And here's what he says for his first portfolio item: "Client was looking for someone who can remove watermark from pictures urgently." AND the thumbnail clearly shows the watermarks he removed. Cat Tongue

Hey ... as long as U gets it's cut, right?

Virginia F wrote:

Sure; for all we know, those watermarks were "accidentally" added, or the client purchased the images, but "accidentally" lost the download instructions.

@John K wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Sure; for all we know, those watermarks were "accidentally" added, or the client purchased the images, but "accidentally" lost the download instructions.

Once you purchase/pay for a high-res stock image, you receive it without a watermark.

Virginia, I know that. I'm just spinning a far-fetched scenario where the client loses all the images without watermark and somehow can no longer download them again, so that these watermark removal jobs could be conceivably legit. Otherwise, you'd think an Upwork algorithm would reject jobs with watermark and remove or removal in the title or description.

@John K wrote:

Virginia, I know that. I'm just spinning a far-fetched scenario where the client loses all the images without watermark and somehow can no longer download them again, so that these watermark removal jobs could be conceivably legit.

I know you knew that ... it was for the benefit of others who might not know that.

I bought some stock images. They are cheaper or not much more expensive than what those idjits take for watermark removal.

I don't get the point 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

I bought some stock images. They are cheaper or not much more expensive than what those idjits take for watermark removal.

I don't get the point 🙂

lol it's funny cuz it's true. The scourge is all over this place.

I kinda get the fun of cracking software. It's illegal and all that but it's fun do dismantle someone's security mechanism and figure out a way around it. Removing watermarks just seems boring. I guess if you're one of those MS Paint desiger exparts, it's all you got in the skills department. We've seen them here. There was some chick that drew stick figures with the spray can tool in MS Paint wondering why she no find job as designer and of course rage faced when I said she needs to go to school or find another gig.

I've had my own (I added them) watermarks removed from some of my own most precious photos after losing them all in a massive crash... One of many (catastophic data losses)  before I finally learned to back up what's important.....

@Rene K wrote:

I don't get the point 🙂

It really depends on the image. I've purchased images for a buck or two, but I've also paid $50ish for several, and over $400 each for a few.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Juan and Virginia,

If you still have a link to the job you are referring to, could you please send it to me in a private message? We'll have it reviewed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I had it in my "saved jobs", Valeria ... but it's gone now. Making ticking every flag did the trick?

Yes, I believe it's been removed, Virginia. Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

UW should consider educating the 50 or so people who responded to that post.

Just sayin'.

@Virginia F wrote:

Just sayin'.

That's a fantastic idea. If when Upwork removed a job for TOS violation, an email automatically went out to everyone who had bid on it citing the violation, it would go a long way toward educating freelancers without any additional effort beyond initially setting up the email template and triggering event.

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Just sayin'.

That's a fantastic idea. If when Upwork removed a job for TOS violation, an email automatically went out to everyone who had bid on it citing the violation, it would go a long way toward educating freelancers without any additional effort beyond initially setting up the email template and triggering event.

I like it! Plus keep their connects too and not return them.  

Aha. Now I see why today my posting job was removed by the Upwork Team.  This was my first to happen.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

For me as designer, all it count to apply to jobs that I consider and capable to work and enjoy it, but without realizing the content of the title. 

Even if the context inside the job tells that those are personal belogings you will never know for real if those are trutly him/hers. I will try to be more vigilant from now on and I will do some reasearch for more approapriate answers to know what other stuff falls in this category. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Just sayin'.

I would additionally suggest adding a strike/demerit system, e.g.:

This is the second time we have had to warn you about this violation of our terms of service. A third violation will result in account suspension/deletion/whatever fits the case. 

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

Just sayin'.

I would additionally suggest adding a strike/demerit system, e.g.:

This is the second time we have had to warn you about this violation of our terms of service. A third violation will result in account suspension/deletion/whatever fits the case. 

The term "pipe dream" comes to mind. Supposed "freelancers" who take these jobs are every bit as fraudulent as the clients and should be treated as such. But they're not, because no one is paying attention.

@Valeria K wrote:

Juan and Virginia,

If you still have a link to the job you are referring to, could you please send it to me in a private message? We'll have it reviewed.

I have flagged, I have pm'd a link to both you and Vlad, and for some reason, my pms are not being read. A freelancer has been hired and the job is in progress.

The algoblahblahs can't catch "remove watermarks"?

Sorry about the delay with messages being addressed over the weekend, Virginia. I've forwarded the link to the team for further review. They will take actions as necessary.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork