Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Job Success Score - 80%"

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
1 of 8

I know this topic has been addressed many times but has not been resolved.

I just sent in a Proposal on a Job specifying "Job Success Score - 80% - with a red flag alongside alerting me and, I am guessing, the Client that my Proposal would not meet that spec.

I am a "Rising Talent" with 11 hours worked PLUS 5 fixed price jobs completed. My earnings in the last 2 months are in 4 digits but I sure would like more work..

Every completed job has been rated 5 Stars *****.

Yet I flunk the "Job Success Score - 80%" spec.

This Upwork feature is totally unfair to me and others similarly situated.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

I didn't meet 3 of the client's requirements when I got my first job on here. This was pre-Elance transfer, so I showed as a brand new contractor.

New people will always be at a disadvantage and that won't change. However, people with experience will be able to figure it out. I truly believe that people with real-world experience are the most successful here. The ones trying to 'build a career as a freelancer" with 0 experience in their field are the ones who struggle. Freelancing is for professionals not noobs.

Anyway, my point is that you have experience, so you should bid and forget about the limitations. Your experience will shine through in your proposals. No amount of "tell me how to get job" people will be your competitor.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kamaludin M Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
3 of 8

Yes, it's a bit unfair but patience is the best option now. Currently, you are very close to getting your Job Success Score - all you need is 4 different ended contracts with a feedback and they should all be 4 different clients and hearing you earned 4 digit money in the space of 2 months I think top rated badge will follow immediately.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 8

He should be careful what he wishes for. lol

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Hi Joseph,

Clients have the option to specify their preferences for location, language proficiency, Job Success, etc. in the job posting. However, they will still be able to view proposals from freelancers who don't meet those requirements. If you believe that you have the necessary skills and experience to complete the job, you can certainly apply and if your proposal is the strongest, you most likely will be selected by the client, similar to the situation Jennifer shared.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 8

Joseph

by all means bid on these jobs (though there's no guarantee where Upwork's robots will place your application for the client to see, but then there isn't anyway).

One tip for you though. Use the FIRST LINE of your proposal to say "I don't have 80% JSS because [insert a few words] , but I'm well qualified for this so please read on."

The point is that clients only see the first one or two lines when browsing the list of proposals, so this is your chance to persuade them not to hit the "Ignore/reject" button, at  least until they've opened and read your whole proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
7 of 8

Stephen,

Thank you.

Good tip.

I do mention that I have completed X number of fixed price jobs with 5 Stars not included in Hours Worked.

But for jobs specifying 80-90% JSS, its a great thought.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 8

I'm in the same boat, but don't see it as unfair. Clients are free to create the standards that they choose, and if one of those standards is a certain track record of success ON THIS SITE, that's their prerogative. It's not an especially meaningful piece of information, but it's easier for them to check and compare than our successes outside Upwork, and it's clearly verified. 

Upwork shortcutting the process and scoring us on just a handful of jobs would allow us to fulfill that requirement more quickly, but it wouldn't be especially accurate, given the small data sample.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS