wasfiwasfi

"Job Success" score caculation

Hi

am not sure if this is the right place where to post this but i hope someone will get it to the right person 🙂

its just an advice to be more accurate in calculating of the "Job Success" score...

i think you should count how jobs are done in the last 12 months as well !!

because if someone has got for example just 10 jobs with the same client, the Long-term clients will be 100% while someone who does 100 jobs with all different clients will has 0% which is i think quite unfair, so by adding how many jobs were done this may change things !!

What do you think ?

Thank you,

Wasfi

62 REPLIES 62
lyambarreau

Although no one on the forums knows exactly how Job Success is calculated, I think it's safe to assume:

• If you did 100 jobs with positive feedback, you'd have a great Job Success score regardless of 'long term clients'

And although 'long term clients' can improve your Job Success score, I also think the score wouldn't be impacted solely on this factor for the reason people have many jobs with many different clients, and to punish people applying for "one time jobs" would be unfair. 

Hello, Lyam & Hfaidhia

I had contacted oDesk Support regarding the same. After a month, they replied me with the message that I have posted below.

"Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window.

Drops in score can be due to poor feedback, jobs that end without payment or feedback, open jobs without spend or the occurrence of refunds or disputes. You’ll likely see your score go up as good feedback, rehires and long-term relationships - clients paying you for more than 3 months at a time - are added to your work record."

I hope this sheds some light on Job Success Score calculation.

Pravin,

You could have found the exact same wording on the link I provided this morning. It is a copy and paste. Wonder why it took them so long to answer you.

Suzanne,

I don't know the reason for the delay. And I never bothered about it. I contacted the support in the month of March, that's when I lost 11% from my Job Success Score. They couldn't give a proper explanation. I have shared my experience here. They sent me few messages, some generic explanations. They just closed the ticket. Again I raised a ticket for the same problem. And I didn't apply for jobs thereafter. After 3 weeks, they sent some reasonable/acceptable explanation and closed the ticket. That's the message I have posted here.

Yes, It seems like a copy and paste.

Pravin

My score went down 10 points because I applied for jobs and did not get them.  What is the point of that?  I chose Upwork because I have health problems, and the schedule gave me flexibilty to take time when my health declined and resumed working when it improved.

Now, I feel as though applying for work just got a great deal tougher.  Besides, some clients take work, don't give feedback, but if they had a problem, they would not have paid.  I've never had that problem, but for the first time I saw my rating slip because I put a great deal of effort into finding work.

Margaret

Hi Margarete,

Not getting response to your proposals is not going to affect your Job Success score. Only actual contracts, active or closed, are included in JSS.

Note that not only recent activity on contracts but also activity over the long period of time reflects in changes in your Job Success score. Since system takes snapshots of your six-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. A good rating may have fallen off your best calculation and caused the score to go down.

If you want to improve your chances to win jobs on Upwork, please complete your profile with a photo of yourself, profile title and overview. Please, check this video tutorial for some tips.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Ever since I joined Upwork, I have done three jobs and successfully completed all of them. However, my job score still reads zero. How do you explain this Valerie K?

Hi Elly,

It looks like you only have 1 job that was closed with feedback so far and the other two jobs are still in progress. You need to complete at least 4 jobs with 3 different clients for your Job Success score to be calculated. Check this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I know get it. So only one of my jobs counts because one of my previous clients was flagged, right?

Hi Elly, 

So far, only the recently closed contract in June count. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Am just wondering about this job success score.Need to build mine.
suznee

@Hfaidhia W wrote:

Hi

am not sure if this is the right place where to post this but i hope someone will get it to the right person 🙂

its just an advice to be more accurate in calculating of the "Job Success" score...

i think you should count how jobs are done in the last 12 months as well !!

because if someone has got for example just 10 jobs with the same client, the Long-term clients will be 100% while someone who does 100 jobs with all different clients will has 0% which is i think quite unfair, so by adding how many jobs were done this may change things !!

What do you think ?

Thank you,

Wasfi

Wasfi, 

The jobs are counted over a 24 month period and short term are counted into that as long term if they are repeat clients. I think Valeria said it would be an accumulation of 3 months work for those you repeatedly worked for it to show in the JS as a long term client. 

Suzanne Thank you any way ... the problem is as Lyam B has sad No one know exactly how the "Success Score" is caculated ! when ODesk first launched this feature i has 97% but after 6 jobs with 5 stars it dropped down to 92%, i contacted the support team but no one has explained how it really works, and about 12 months period/ calculation evryone can see it but its the first time i knew about 24 months and 3 months thing ...

Thank you again for your kind reply 🙂

i have checked again with the support team and they confirm the calculation are done for the last 12 months !!!

in all cases the last changes on Odesk are not really great !! especially the "Connects" as Chris K has mentioned further in his post "An Open Letter To ODesk"

i want the Good for all of us (ODesk, the client, and the freelancers)

After all i was doing work in Odesk for the last 4 years (almost) and this is the first i have time to come here i post something !! i was busy enough ... and even i already upgraded to "Freelancer Plus" Plan, Connects has gone in less than 15 days ( 2 application per day) and i got just 3 small jobs...

i think many Freelancer has faced the same problem especially those who do only freelancing !! or worst those who they had left their day job for Odesk ....

i hope things will change for the better...

@Hfaidhia W wrote:

i have checked again with the support team and they confirm the calculation are done for the last 12 months !!!

in all cases the last changes on Odesk are not really great !! especially the "Connects" as Chris K has mentioned further in his post "An Open Letter To ODesk"

i want the Good for all of us (ODesk, the client, and the freelancers)

The calculation is done over a 24 month period

We look at trends over a 24-month period, meaning you won’t see work from years past surface in your Job Success.

https://support.odesk.com/entries/23103173-How-do-I-improve-my-Job-Success-Score-

t-hall

Drops in score can be due to poor feedback, jobs that end without payment or feedback, open jobs without spend or the occurrence of refunds or disputes

What bugs me about this is:

• jobs that end without payment or feedback
  • open jobs without spend

These have nothing to do with freelancer performance.

It is flat rude to ask a client to go out of their way to give you feedback if they could care less about doing so. In fact, I would envision it rather annoying for a freelancer to pester a client to waste time with something they didn't feel like doing in the first place. That puts the client in a negative mood an may increase the chance of getting poor backend feedback... where it really matters.

How would you feel if your server asked you for a tip after a meal? or take extra time to hunt down the manager to give you props because the server may earn a bonus for customer reviews?

Jobs that end without payment can happen for many reasons. I often have 'clients' who want to hire me, but never get around to doing it. Recently I had a guy cancel the start date 4 times, and waste many of my days scheduling around our meetings that never happened. in fact, I have 2 right now doing the same thing. My only saving grace is that I am too nervous about oDesk mad roborts to ask them to officially start the contract. Both of them may or may not actually get around to starting, and as small business owners, freelancers cannot afford to play the waiting game multiple times for the same client. Any other business would go out of business, because they have bills to pay. promises don't pay the bills.

Issues like this really tick me off, and honestly make it very difficult to rely on oDesk as a reliable source of income. These issue can happen from both sides of the fence. Don;t punish us for something that 'potentially' may be our fault... because it is just as often not.

So what do we do about it? Write support? Lol... we know how that goes. Chances are they would tell me to clear my cookies or try a different browser.

🙂

oDesk should really run their ideas in front of a focus group of actual working freelancers from this site (not oDesk employees).

Listen to what we have to say about their ideas before implimenting them, so they can tweak and adjust or even scrap it.

And from a sales perspective... NOT starting a contract until we feel comforatable about not getting screwed over is equal to letting a shopper walk out your front door. once they leave, the chances of selling them is almost nil.

If we open a contract, they are much more likely to follow through - even at a later date. However, in the meantime, the freelancer success score is lowered?

Yeah, I had a problem with a client opening a contract, not getting to me with the information I needed, and then ending it without an explanation.  I'm guessing the contractor made different arrangements, which is generally a bit unprofessional--and not giving me an explanation is problematic.

This is going to affect my success rate. I did absolutely nothing wrong here. The client changed his mind after entering into an agreement with me. Whey wouldn't this lower some sort of metric for the client? This becomes a serious issue considering that I've found oDesk clients to be more wishy-washy and less able to meet commitments than the general population. 

Hi Tony,

You're bang on the money here. I have nothing to add except mention I have tried to give Upwork other rational, reasonable suggestions with regards to calculating "success"/feedback and they have simply ignored them without explanation. I'm not sure anyone cares.

ago_g

@ Hfaidhia

That's some rotten luck you got caught with. Just 3 even after paying for the gamble known as the plus plan? Definately Not cool.

I'm just wondering why you spent more for the plus plan when the free set didn't work out so well for you?? << NO poke or joke intended to ANYone. I'm really asking.

The oddball part is that the "reviews" are supposed to be for up to 24 months. So how is it that others were getting suspended / closed accounts for things that happend 2+ years ago (as reported repeatedly in these forums)?

@ Tony

You got it exactly dead ON right in a single statement. "Jobs that end without payment can happen for many reasons."

Too bad the "crazy robot" either can't or no one wants to take that into account..... ever. It's just a NAG marathon. Go NAG your client(s) for reviews and ratings that so far, have caused more problems than fixed. How many times have all of us seen posts saying after completing a job successfully, their score went down? It's a LOT bigger number than what all I like to count when I'm not counting my pay !!

Yet again, all this due to vauge and lots of it to the point where freelancers haven't got a single clue as to what exactly is being reviewed so they can attempt to fix it. Or least come up with an explination (with proof) as to the real cause of their problem(s). Sure, they count so many different metrics to determine a JS. That's nice.... is one of those metrics a two faced move on the part of clients....... great public feedback. with no or dismal private feedback. By all means, describe it a better way than calling it a two faced move by the client. Freelancers don't have a private feedback. Let me know how that's deemed as fair.

And yes, contacting CS has definately proven itself as a great way to get laughed at.

@ anyone still reading this....

Now I'm wondering at which point is oDesk going to find out that when the freelancers are not happy and/or are LOSING, oDesk ALSO LOSES their 10% fee along with freelancers? There are many freelancer that either won't take the risks and leave job posts alone entirely or no one is getting hired anyway due to the fake / scam job posts that are decorating the job lists.

It's not like real deal clients are having a spectacular time just the same. Especially when the recommended freelancers have absolutely no skills related to the job(s) they posted. And how many times have we seen this complaint in the forums? That's just the ones posted in the forums. How about the ones that got fed up and left? They didn't even bother to post anything about it.

So far I had only been reading about decreasing Job Success scores and feeling sorry for people that it happened to - until this morning when it hit me as well.

Over night my score dropped a whopping 11% from 100% to 89%. Of course I have NO idea as to why this may have happened. I don't have any contracts where clients walked away and didn't pay me, no disputes, the contracts shown as in progress are really in progress, 100% of my clients would recommend me (so no nasty private feedback).

I had one contract that I closed (I know, not supposed to do that, but client became unresponsive) without any transactions because the client and I found out that we didn't really see eye to eye - so he didn't need my services any longer. Again, no work was done and no money was exchanged - so obviously sth like that cannot count negatively towards Job Success (as no actual job was done!). Or can it? Even so, can it really account for a 11% drop?

I don't have long-term clients - because I haven't been on here long enough. I started using the platform a mere 2,5 months ago and so far all of my visible stats are as good as they can be. I have (had??) a top rated badge and only 5-star ratings.

So, the question that so many others have asked: What happened that I am not aware of?

Why does oDesk not disclose ALL FACTORS (... "and many more"...) that are being considered?

Given the fact, how many people (top rated or not) have seen these massive drops it is about time that they open up about the algorithm in place for this score.

I am really annoyed and frustrated because I have no clue what happened. 

Thanks,

Ela

P.S. strangely enough the "top rated" badge is still there - although one needs 90% JS to qualify for that. Or is that just another glitch?

Now - I had opened a ticket with CS. Surprisingly they answered within 10 min (!!).

Here is what they wrote:

"I apologize that you are having issues with your Job Success Score. I can help you with this.

Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window.

Drops in score can be due to poor feedback, jobs that end without payment or feedback, open jobs without spend or the occurrence of refunds or disputes. You’ll likely see your score go up as good feedback, rehires and long-term relationships - clients paying you for more than 3 months at a time - are added to your work record.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter, and please let me know if I can be of additional assistance."

Oh, and the agent closed the ticket because OBVIOUSLY they resolved my issue with this standard copy & paste answer. I specifically asked for DETAILS pertaining to MY account and JS.

I don't even know what to say anymore.

@Ela K wrote:

Now - I had opened a ticket with CS. Surprisingly they answered within 10 min (!!).

@Here is what they wrote:

"I apologize that you are having issues with your Job Success Score. I can help you with this.

Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window.

Drops in score can be due to poor feedback, jobs that end without payment or feedback, open jobs without spend or the occurrence of refunds or disputes. You’ll likely see your score go up as good feedback, rehires and long-term relationships - clients paying you for more than 3 months at a time - are added to your work record.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter, and please let me know if I can be of additional assistance."

Oh, and the agent closed the ticket because OBVIOUSLY they resolved my issue with this bogus standard copy & paste answer. I specifically asked for DETAILS pertaining to MY account and JS.

I don't even know what to say anymore.

The exact reply I got from oDesk. Generic responses.  Read my first post on this thread.

LOL

oDesk Support simply solved our problems. Really??!!!

Yes, it happens. It happened to me a couple of months ago. The same 11% drop.

According to oDesk, Freelancers should not close a contract. It could be an unfinished project, a freelancer trying to run away from his/her responsibilities/promises without completing the contract. Hey, it's not my perspective. it's oDesk's.

Garnor has given some detailed instructions on how to safely get rid of an unresponsive client without damaging success score. You can find it in one of the community forum threads.

Pravin

Pravin, thanks for your input.

But the contract I am talking about was never executed. No work done, no money paid/ received or refunded. The client wasn't able to leave feedback because I had not done any work form him.

Ela,

You're welcome.

I think the oDesk suspects that the work was carried out of oDesk and also the payment for the work done. That might be the reason why our JS drops when a contract remains dormant for a long time. Just my assumption.

Pravin

@Pravin K wrote:

Ela,

You're welcome.

I think the oDesk suspects that the work was carried out of oDesk and also the payment for the work done. That might be the reason why our JS drops when a contract remains dormant for a long time. Just my assumption.

Pravin

Why would you or oDesk even get that idea? And drop my JS based on an assumption??? The contract wasn't dormant for a long time. It simply didn't work out - and oDesk is free to read my complete email conversation with said client.

Ela,

It's just my assumption on oDesk's assumptions. Sadly, we don't get the benefit of doubts.

Hi Pravin Can you please refer that link by Garnor that talks about unresponsive clients.

@Atifa I wrote:
Hi Pravin Can you please refer that link by Garnor that talks about unresponsive clients.

Hi, Atifa

I think this is the link you asked for. The link will take you to the discussion thread, you can find the reply from Garnor

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/How-to-get-a-Dormant-Contract-closed-Unresponsive-Client...

Pravin

I have also been hit recently with the JS score bug, which no one seems to know how it is calculated. 

Until the beginning of April my job success ratio was 89% and I was getting close to receiving the "top contractor" badge. but all of a sudden one day in April I saw my job success score fell to 67%. In this time period, I received review from 2 clients who both gave me 5 star rating and I know both of them were really happy with my work and never had any complaints. Overall my rating is 5.0, and except one client, who rated me 4.2, all of my other clients on odesk have given me 5 star rating since I started working on oDesk/upwork. One hourly paid contract was made but the work never got started because the client never got back to me. This contract I myself closed early in May, after the rating dropped to 67%. But they say they subtract the cases of bad experience from good experience, so I was wondering if this alone caould make my JS drop by 22%.  I had no bad reviews, no disputes, and nothing else negative I am aware of.

I raised a ticket with the customer service to figure out what caused my score to suddenly dip? and what can i do to improve it and how long it may take to change. I have heard it gets updated every 2 weeks but I have not seen any changes to it yet.

after a series of email exchanges where they only sent me generic copy paste answers and links to various FAQ pages, they told me they will not entertain my queries anymore and they resolve the issue as SOLVED!

Go, figure. 

thanks

Tahsin 

@Tahsin H wrote:

I have also been hit recently with the JS score bug, which no one seems to know how it is calculated. 

One hourly paid contract was made but the work never got started because the client never got back to me. This contract I myself closed early in May, after the rating dropped to 67%. But they say they subtract the cases of bad experience from good experience, so I was wondering if this alone caould make my JS drop by 22%.  I had no bad reviews, no disputes, and nothing else negative I am aware of.

Hi Tahsin,

Depending on how may contracts you had completed successfully with positive PRIVATE feedback from clients it is possible that closing that one contract made your score drop. Sure, 22% is massive. Mine dropped 11% after closing one contract that didn't work out (no money was exchanged). The client left negative private feedback and my JS score took a big hit. In my case it was 1 out of 10 contracts at that time. 

You know, even if they (CS) tell you what happened - it might not change a thing. CS isn't very likely to revise/correct a decision made by the algorithm in place.

That is the impression I got when enquiring about my case.

kugrin

Ela, keep in mind that the score is looking at a rolling 12-24 months period, which means that whatever caused the drop could've happened in May 2014 or 2013. You should go into your report section, and look at all of your contracts over the last 24 months, using the date of the JS drop as your cut off date. I think people make the mistake of looking for the reason for the JS drop only in the present, when based on the posts I've read, it's more likely that the reason occurred in the past and because of the rolling timeframe calculation, gets now weighted differently.

I think the whole concept of having the JS only look at the past year or two is heavily flawed and means that years of hard work no longer means anything on oDesk.

Krisztina,

I only started working on oDesk ca. 3 months ago - so whatever happened, happened very recently. So I only need to look at what I did since mid February.

See my problem?

Sorry Ela I just saw your other post in which you mention that you've "only" been here for 2.5 months (belated Welcome to oDesk!! :). Clearly you were punished for closing that contract, for reasons that only oDesk understands (if they do). I actually find it a little funny that brand new people can even get the top rated and 100% score (no offense to you Ela, you obviously did very well and we need more of you on this platform!). 

Krisztina, I completely agree with you re top rated batch - I couldn't understand why I got it so quickly! I have also had the "money back guarantee" badge pretty much from the beginning - which I wasn't that keen on to be honest after having only worked and completed 3 contracts then!

It just goes to show that things are being awarded for (almost) no reason but equally quickly being taken away without proper explanation.

I still fail to understand how a contract that wasn't executed (=no job done) counts towards sth called JOB success. My top rated badge has since disappeared and I guess now it will become even harder to find jobs.

Thanks for your kind words!

P.S. Please, can one of the moderators explain how 1 ended hourly contract, where no money was billed, paid or refunded can cause a 11% drop of JS. There is nothing else I can think of that could have caused this decrease. Thanks.

Dear oDesk moderators,

Could one of you please take a look at my case/this thread?

I really would like to find out what went wrong & and how to fix it.

Many thanks,

Ela