cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"My Stats" page using 5 Week (35 day) Metric !?

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
1 of 18

So I decided to do a bit of digging because of my stubborn scientific nature. But I should probably make some form of disclaimer before beginning .

I have enough evidence to suggest that the "Communication" and "Market Effectiveness" sections on the "My Stats" page are actually using 35 day metrics, instead of the 90 days shown on the site. It makes me wonder if this is an error, but more-so what about the elusive Job Success score? Is this also using a different time frame from what was stated?

My ultimate aim is to figure out a close approximation to the JS score formula, or at least the parts we have data on. This may be too big fr me however, but I will nibble at it every now and again.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
setumonroe
Community Guru
2 of 18
No takers on this one?
setumonroe
Community Guru
3 of 18

So as I promised, I am releasing more data as I figure it out on the whole JS score metric.

This is actual data collected from the site - No part of it was manipulated (addition, subtraction, count etc.)

This shows that Some parts of the Stats score are clearly not calculated on the 90 day span as indicated.

The Community seems to be uninterested in getting involved. However I will continue to probe.

The picture shows the actual "views" received on job applications. What is interesting is that it is clearly over a 5 week period (35 days). This is used to calculate those bars in the market effectiveness on the Stats page that says 90 days. I am curious to know what else is on a different time span.

Open image in 'new tab' to see details.

Microsoft Excel - Metric_test.xlsx (05-18-2015 09.10.25).png

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 18

The clients who would recommend you isn't a 90 day metric either, but it's calculated every 5 jobs. The JS isn't dollar weighted and supposedly a 12 but sometimes 24 months score, and none of it makes sense. Despite a several year strong track record of rolling out 5 broken features - 1 fix - and 7 new bugs, oDesk has an unwavering faith in its own capabilities, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, which is nothing short of disillusional at this point. 

setumonroe
Community Guru
5 of 18
Thanks for commenting Krisztina. People always mistake a valid complaint as mere criticism. There are serious problems with the system and we need them to be addressed, because it is affecting careers.

JS score is not dollar weighted, but public and private reviews are dollar weighted when being considered in the overall JS score. So in essence your JS score is actually dollar weighted. That puts most freelancers at a disadvantage.
kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
6 of 18

@Setu M wrote:
Thanks for commenting Krisztina. People always mistake a valid complaint as mere criticism. There are serious problems with the system and we need them to be addressed, because it is affecting careers.

JS score is not dollar weighted, but public and private reviews are dollar weighted when being considered in the overall JS score. So in essence your JS score is actually dollar weighted. That puts most freelancers at a disadvantage.

Hi Setu, I completely agree with you that these issues must be addressed, I just grew tired of talking to a wall.

According to this post (click here), which was never addressed by the mods, but comes from a what I would deem trustworthy source, the JS and feedback seems no longer dollar weighted, otherwise a $25 job could not affect the JS by 6 points.

I do think that that the JS and all scores should be dollar weighted. I do not believe that this is putting anyone at a disadvantage, but is fair practice. Doing well on a $50k project should mean more than doing well on a $500 or $50 project. That said, it should also be normalized to suit both freelancer types -- those who work on short term jobs and those who work on long term ones. Right now, those who work many jobs seem to be at a disadvantage to those who only work few jobs, which makes no sense. 

setumonroe
Community Guru
7 of 18

I have seen at least 2 threads here where it was confirmed by a moderator that feedback is dollar weighted. I also spoke with CS yesterday and it was explicitly stated that feedback is dollar weighted.

I also do not support dollar weighted reviews ( you can read here) and think the opposite about which set of freelancers have the advantage. You must bear in mind that some jobs will never and can never value above a certain amount, however the level of expertise required is equivalent to any large contract job.

setumonroe
Community Guru
8 of 18

Still no official response on why the stated metric is not being used by the system. I thought this would have be an important point to warrant some investigation, clarification and change of metric or stated information on said screen.

I will continue to BUMP this thread.

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
9 of 18

Setu,

I appreciate all of the work you have put into your spreadsheet and findings. We understand your frustrations with the Job Success scores and lack of clarification. The team is working on making better information available that helps clarify Job Success scores and how it is calculated. We hope to have something available to you soon. 

Thanks, 

Lena

Untitled
garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
10 of 18

Hi Setu,

I can confirm the Marketing Effectiveness and Communication stats are based on past 90 days while Job Success is based on past 24 months. I can also confirm, as Lena mentioned, that we're working on some additional Help documentation that can provide more details into what's being calculated in Job Success. Keep in mind however, we won't be able to share exactly how this is calculated because we need to avoid any manipulation of the score. I know that's not your intent and you're simply asking for more transperancy into this metric and we want to provide it. 

Finally, I won't be able to validate the metrics you provided here regarding your account. If you think there's a discrepancy in what's being calculated please contact our Customer Support team so they can check directly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS