Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Overtime" question.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
1 of 11

Last week was my first time going over on my hours with my hourly contract. I know that there's no way for Upwork to guarantee payment of these extra hours, but assuming I had previous approval from my client to exceed the hours for that week and have subsequently had my hour limit raised as a result, how do we know if/when the client will see these additional hours and be able to pay on them?

This is a low paying contract, so it's not really a huge deal, but it's information that could be helpful for me to know in the future. I would never exceed hours without my client's approval, and therefore some reassurance that the client will be able to see these extra hours is of great importance to me overall.

Does it show up with the regularly-billed hours in the time log? Do I have to manually inform my client of the additional hours worked so that they can process a bonus payment?

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 11

This is simple.

Client set my time to 4 hours.

I worked 6 hours, continuing to use the time-tracker.

If my client raises my hourly limit to 6 hours this week, I will automatically be paid for 6 hours. No manual time or bonus is needed.

If your client raises your hourly limit NEXT week, you will NOT be automatically paid for the time you went over the limit THIS week, but the client can see that time and can pay you using a bonus if she chooses to.

Community Guru
3 of 11

So communicate with the client: 

"Jane,

This project is going to take more time. I have reached the hourly limit you set. I would be happy to wait until next week to continue working on this, or I can do more on it this week if you increase the hourly limit."

Community Guru
4 of 11

Preston, I think maybe I didn't explain myself right in my first post.

Last week I went over on my hours, because a client requested several specific articles be done, that took me longer than my originally agreed upon hour limit. I tracked using the tracker and only did the "minimum" amount of work outside of the pre-determined limit.

This week she awarded me a higher hourly limit as a result of the success with the previous week. From this week on, I have more hours in my limit to work with - but she didn't adjust the limit last week when the extra hours were worked.

I did effectively communicate with her throughout the process, but the "extra hours" were completed over the weekend - when she was not in her office to adjust the hourly limit. I work 7 days a week because I live in a small town with nothing better to do, but not everyone operates this way, and I fully understand that, and don't expect them to change their own work schedules to accommodate mine.

Edit: I see that your post was changed since I received the e-mail notification, and actually answers the question now. So they do see these additional hours when they review my work diary? Do they see a similar setup to what I see?

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
5 of 11

re: "I see that your post was changed since I received the e-mail notification, and actually answers the question now. So they do see these additional hours when they review my work diary? Do they see a similar setup to what I see?"

Clients don't necessarily review work diaries and extra hours worked beyond hourly limits don't necessarily jump out at you if you're a client.

It would be normal for  a client to not notice that a contractor logged work beyond the hourly limit. A client should be able to see extra hours in a work diary if she is looking for them. I don't know if it looks exactly like what you are seeing.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
6 of 11

Barbara, if you want to be paid for the extra hours you need to ask for payment, as the client will likely not notice unless he is a compulsive diary-checker ....

Client would have to pay them as a bonus.

I really want to see you work at the kind of rates where it WOULD matter if you did some over-limit hours by the way.....

Community Guru
7 of 11

@Petra R wrote:

[...] I really want to see you work at the kind of rates where it WOULD matter if you did some over-limit hours by the way..... 

I know, I know... I'm getting there though!! At least I raised my rates to 1-2 cents per word now, for new contracts... Which is a huge improvement over where I was at. I know I have a long way to go but I'm still concerned with the "drastic" rate jumps. When I first moved to Upwork, my "regular" rate was about 0.03 cents per word... So 1-2 cents per word feels a lot more fair given my experience level. I read about people making up to $1 a word and that just seems crazy to me at this point. It's a dream, though, for sure.

@Preston H wrote:

Clients don't necessarily review work diaries and extra hours worked beyond hourly limits don't necessarily jump out at you if you're a client.

It would be normal for  a client to not notice that a contractor logged work beyond the hourly limit. A client should be able to see extra hours in a work diary if she is looking for them. I don't know if it looks exactly like what you are seeing.

So... In theory... Since I did discuss this with her, she would know that the extra hours are there... But I should expect to send a polite reminder if it's not added in by her when the hourly review period is finished?

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
8 of 11

@Barbara W wrote:

So... In theory... Since I did discuss this with her, she would know that the extra hours are there... But I should expect to send a polite reminder if it's not added in by her when the hourly review period is finished?

Barbara, she may have no idea that that it won't be automatically charged so yes, you'll have to gently point out that she needs to pay via a bonus and that increasing your weekly limit would be a good idea...

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 11

Another way, rather than via a bonus, is to get the client to agree on manual hours and submit that amount of manual hours in the present week, with a notation of what they're for. I've no idea which way is better - just another option.

Community Guru
10 of 11

Stephen, that'll probably bring her over the limit for this week then ... plus it means she gets paid a week later

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS