cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Payment method unverified" -- Can I ask client to verify payment before I accept the offer?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 12

@Vladimir G wrote:

Clients usually have to verify their payment method before funding Milestone/s for Fixed price and finalizing terms on Hourly jobs. You can also ask your potential client to verify their payment method before you start working on the project.

On fixed rate contracts the client does not have to have verified their payment method to hire, they have to have entered one on the system, completed all their details, and the first milestone must have been charged successfully. The actual verification (which is only applicable to credit cards, as PayPal works differently) can be done later, but the client cannot actually release the milestone to the freelancer until the credit card is verified.

On hourly contracts the client cannot hire at all or send an offer without their payment method being fully verified, the system won't let them.

This means that if you get an actual job offer you know that the client has already added a functioning payment method. This i sbecause otherwise they could not make an offer. That payment method will have been verified (if PayPal) already, or will have been verified if it was an hourly contract, or may be in the process of verification AND the milestone has been successfully charged and funded and put in Escrow in case of a fixed rate contract.

No client can send an offer through Upwork (a real one, not a message saying "You now hired, do work!") without having added a valid payment method.

Erica A Member Since: Jul 15, 2015
12 of 12

No client can send an offer through Upwork (a real one, not a message saying "You now hired, do work!") without having added a valid payment method.

Petra, good to know! Thank you!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS