oquintela
Community Member

"Show popular projects on my profile"

What's this?

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 14.13.37.png

41 REPLIES 41
oquintela
Community Member

Can a moderator explain this, please? I have this shown on my profile page and would like to understand how it works.

I wish they'd quit springing those gimmicky new what-the-hell-is-THIS  things on us.

For what it's worth, I don't see that on your profile.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Olga,

I can confirm the features you're seeing are related to a test we've launched, will follow up and provide more information soon.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Olga,

I can confirm the features you're seeing are related to a test we've launched, will follow up and provide more information soon.

I think you should give people the manual when you give them a new button to play with, not after.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

It's 2019 and they're still doing this. -_- 

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Olga,

This is nonsense, Vlad. Wny is it that Upwork cannot/will not send announcements to it's users before you start mucking around with our profiles? How is it that you can force these "tests" on our profiles, which are something we should have a bit more say about. Do we not have a say in anything anymore???

ETA: Instead of expending energies on these stupid additions to our profiles, how about dealing with what appears to be an absolute flood of scammy new profiles. How about doing that instead?

afifield
Community Member

Echoing Virginia's thoughts too! It isn't right to just add stuff on the profile like that without giving us any notice and it should be set OFF and let us enable it ourselves please! This is just interfering in the design-client relationship as you have said in your own terms you "don't do". 

Can Upwork just stop this price imposing experiment? Mind your business and leave FLers mind their.

Seriously Upwork.

-----------

I absolutely agree with you! I am having the same rubbish appearing on my Profile as well.

I'm still waiting for Upwork to extend their Keyword Search to include the words - "ACX Audiobook Narrator" - so that I can find more narration work for Authors who are looking for an RP - British - Male to read their Books. Apart from wasting my time with Proposals that never get answered, my biggest annoyance is the Search Tool. Why can't you just make searching for jobs easier, and also could you please get my payment percentage down to 10% seeing as I've earned the amount needed?

I hope somebody from Upwork gets back to me via my "Message" facility and takes heed of my suggestion.

Charles L

Charles L wrote:

I absolutely agree with you! I am having the same rubbish appearing on my Profile as well.

Remove it then, if you don't like it.

Charles L wrote:

also could you please get my payment percentage down to 10% seeing as I've earned the amount needed?

With any one client? (NOT overall, it is per client, so once you reach $ 500 with one client, it drops to 10% for that client *only*)

florydev
Community Member

Lol, whoever requests these quotes for me at those numbers is going to be profoundly disappointed. I am going to leave it on and see what happens.
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Olga,

As part of the test we're running, our team decided to give a small number of freelancers included in the test an insight into the Popular Projects section displayed on their profile, which by design appears when a client views a freelancer profile.

As mentioned at the bottom of the section, we're exploring new ways for clients to find you by showing the most popular deliverables that match your profile. We are surfacing the deliverables the FL defined in a different way which allows clients to inquire specifically about these. As part of the tested feature, freelancers can edit or these deliverables from their profile settings. They can also opt-out and remove it from their profile, although the goal of the feature is to attract more clients to contact freelancers directly.

'Request a Quote' button is also by design appearing on clients' end and is used to post a job and invite the particular freelancer. 

We don't have any other information at the moment apart from the details shared above. Apologies again for the confusion Olga.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Where on earth did Upwork get these prices or the idea that they are separate, standalone deliverables?

ETA: this is embarrassing to have on my profile, turning it off.

requestaquote.JPG

"As part of the test we're running, our team decided to give a small number of freelancers included in the test an insight into the Popular Projects section displayed on their profile"?

And Upwork could find no way to inform the "small number of freelancers" that they were going to be part of a test whether they liked it or not?  Where's the respect, Upwork? How is it that personal profiles can be invaded by unknown "team members" who may or may not understand the impact their "tests" are having?

afifield
Community Member

Yes Virginia, that is what I found insulting. They automatically enabled it on my account too yet have no idea what kind of prices I get for these projects. I instantly shut it off when I saw it because the rates they are suggesting will bring clients in who will try to just lowball me on everything and I am not interested in dealing with that. Prices are something to be discussed directly between client and freelancer, not from Upworks. 

This could actually be useful if
1) we could define the projects shown (hint: what's showing now are not projects)
2) we could define the prices shown
3) we have the option to say "starting at..." rather than a range.

Thanks for clarifying, Vladimir. As others have said, freelancers should be informed before... Upwork is always trying to come up with new features that bring little value in the end. I would rather have you guys focusing on what to do to make sure clients invite the right freelancers, for instance. Some two years ago I used to get invites that would end in contracts because those invites had everything to do with the skills I offer. But then, all that stopped and all I get is mostly garbage-type invites. How is it that you've managed to go from doing something well to just completely ruining it??? This is just a personal, subjective example, but who knows how many good things you've destroyed while you're so frantically adding new features?

HEAD & WALL.gif

shahinur120
Community Member

What is Popular projects (Beta) preferences? I want to know about this. Please help me. Advanced thanks. 

Shahinur 

cartrellgeneral
Community Member

Maybe I missed it somewhere but could someone from Upwork explain to me the new Popular Projects beta test that you rolled out? When I look at my profile, there is a new box called Popular Projects which highlights some of my past projects and allows clients to contact me to request a quote.

It's an interesting concept although it highlights areas I don't necessarily want to highlight. Is there a way to change which areas are highlighted to a client? How does this tie in with the specialized profiles since what's being highlighted is not what I emphasize in my specialized profiles?

Read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/quot-Show-popular-projects-on-my-profile-quot/m-p/608394...

You are not the only one who is surprised/confused/curious.

> We are surfacing the deliverables the FL defined in a different way which allows clients to inquire specifically about these.

I had to read Vladimir's post several times because of sentences like the above, and I'm still not convinced I know what he's on about. Plain English would be appreciated.

It appears that Upwork is experimenting with a 'feature' whereby they direct clients to the sort of projects they think we should be doing and indicate the sort of rates they believe we should ask for? While saying they don't intervene in the client-freelancer relationship?

Kim F wrote:

It appears that Upwork is experimenting with a 'feature' whereby they direct clients to the sort of projects they think we should be doing and indicate the sort of rates they believe we should ask for? While saying they don't intervene in the client-freelancer relationship?

Yes, that seems to be what they are doing, without actually picking real projects to highlight. Request a quote for document version control?  That's like going to the car dealer and asking for a quote on those little bolts that keep the engine from falling out.

Wes C wrote:

Request a quote for document version control?  That's like going to the car dealer and asking for a quote on those little bolts that keep the engine from falling out.

Yeah, commodification of professional expertise, lol. Like you're selling books. Or bolts. This is when you realize thet they have no clue. At all.

-----------

I suggest to not have prices made up by Upworks but rather allow us to enter our own price ranges and custom skils on our own if we feel like having them at all for fixed rates, or just keep that between the client and the freelancer. Upworks should not be setting it based on what they say is "market data". Upworks does not understand it enough to give estimates and skill information. I just got a survey on this stuff, and I made it a point to say that in there. I feel either way price ranges are not such a good idea due to the nature of most freelance work where there are lots of variables within the custom work, so saying $60-$1500 is just bad in general. I normally give my clients a very rough estimate of hours it is going to take but I make note too that it could go above that price if extra things are needed such as more changes than in the initial delivery, or if there is more to it than I know about. 

Upworks appear to be trying to control the way freelancers work more and more, and the whole charging clients for what they somewhat had before is a total debacle. 

I am a user that got this price range stuff on my profile and I immediately disabled it and I won't be using is going forward. If a client is interested to work with me, I will discuss price with them together and talk to them about their needs, scope of project, etc. on my own terms. 

This is just going to make clients question why I won't do it for $60, but the thing is I have quality and I am a professional with years of experience so I have my own prices based on this and also scope of work, time, etc. I don't need someone to dictate that for me whether directly or as a price range. 

I also feel there is no reason to turn this on within my profile without my knowledge to "assist" me with helping my clients who are interested. 

I think, the group of people or the person of Upwork who is inventing these kinds of **bleep**ty systems, he/she or they must have some problems in their Brain. They are not developing the systems at all. Day by day, they are just destroying a wonderful platform for the Freelancers by their own hand. 

Rene K wrote:

Wes C wrote:

Request a quote for document version control?  That's like going to the car dealer and asking for a quote on those little bolts that keep the engine from falling out.

Yeah, commodification of professional expertise, lol. Like you're selling books. Or bolts. This is when you realize thet they have no clue. At all.

At first glance, this new idea seems to resemble the process of entropy. However, entropy happens when systems are left alone, so what would one call this? 

Mark F wrote:

Read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/quot-Show-popular-projects-on-my-profile-quot/m-p/608394...

You are not the only one who is surprised/confused/curious.

Initially read this as surprised/confused/furious. That also seems appropriate.

sehar-arif-malik
Community Member

Hi,

Please check the attachment ! I think it is for clients, Not for freelancers. But this is showing on my freelance profile.Please help. 

So, this is not an error but a new feature for freelancers and clients. But we can't edit the rates. 

h-sairam
Community Member

Can you what is this?? ,Is it a problem?

Sairam H wrote:

What will be a problem is your account if you do not make your portfolio disappear.
Not one of the items is your work (and if it is, it will only be the "vectorizations" of stock photos that you pass as hand drawn picture)

I hope the mods do not "touch" the message.
I'm up to my nose of deceivers.
Why do not you do your work and depend on us to mark profiles?
This is a shame.

Maria T wrote:
[…]

This is a shame.

They're busy re-verifying profiles of Top Rated freelancers that have been on this platform for years.

There you have caught me! Robot LOL

But what a fool I am!

Maria T wrote:

Sairam H wrote:

What will be a problem is your account if you do not make your portfolio disappear.
Not one of the items is your work (and if it is, it will only be the "vectorizations" of stock photos that you pass as hand drawn picture)

I hope the mods do not "touch" the message.
I'm up to my nose of deceivers.
This is a shame.

I found a profile where the guy actually had links to two, yes two, behance links. Both links go to completely different people (one a female and fellow Upwork freelancer!). Flagged it, reported it directly to a mod, and 5 days later no action has been taken on his profile.

That it's a shame is putting it mildly.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

We’d like to thank each one of you for your valuable feedback on the test we conducted over the past week and apologize for not giving timely notice to participating freelancers. Our goal was to understand whether clients would be interested in viewing and inquiring about projects/deliverables that freelancers and agencies can provide. Ultimately we are trying to get more clients inviting freelancers and agencies to jobs.

Longer term, we hope to extend this functionality to allow you to package and showcase all the services you offer while letting you customize it. This early version was missing some key elements and we appreciate hearing your input for future versions. We've completed this initial test and will be sure to inform the community about future iterations. Thanks again for your engagement on this thread.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vlad, this will come as no surprise but if U wants to "get more clients inviting freelancers and agencies to jobs" then the easiest way would be to pull back and negate that ridiculous 3 and/or 6 invite restriction.  Give buyers the abilty to invite 10 or 12 freelancers.  When buyers are willing to review profiles in order to find who they feel are potenially quality candidates it stands a greatly increased chance of converting into paid jobs.

Wendy C wrote:

Vlad, this will come as no surprise but if U wants to "get more clients inviting freelancers and agencies to jobs" then the easiest way would be to pull back and negate that ridiculous 3 and/or 6 invite restriction.  Give buyers the abilty to invite 10 or 12 freelancers.  When buyers are willing to review profiles in order to find who they feel are potenially quality candidates it stands a greatly increased chance of converting into paid jobs.

Nothing to add--just thought this bore repeating.

Mmm... it looks as if the more you earn the more chances you have to become a guinea pig for them. I guess it's another "perk" for the "tops of the top-rated".

I am still waiting for them to get into action and fix some stuff we have been waiting for years already, which is more important.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members