🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: "Skills"
Page options
diane-sutherland
Community Member

"Skills"

I don't understand what is considered a "skill" on the application. Can someone please explain this? Thanks, Diane

12 REPLIES 12
mtngigi
Community Member

Diane S wrote:

I don't understand what is considered a "skill" on the application. Can someone please explain this? Thanks, Diane

You have to state what skill are you offering as a freelancer.

1) Your profile requires a photograph of you.

2) Are you asking what the word "skill" means? I don't understand. If you do not understand what a "skill" is, why are you entering a marketplace in which "skills" are offered/applied in exchange for cash?

Of course I know what a skill is.  What I don't understand is what upwork considers a skill.  Why isn't being a published author considered a skill?  Or do I have to explain that as a published author my skills would be: writing, editing, proof reading, command of English, researching, etc.?  But thanks for your insight anyhow.

Being a published author is a fact, not a skill. 

Yes, you DO need to articulate, specifically, for potential clients, what skills you are offering to provide in exchange for cash.

In the first place, many clients need to be led by the hand. Do not leave it up to a client to understand what skills are implied by any executed project. For example, if I see a completed website, I have no idea what actually has gone into the production of that website.

In the second place, let's say that you write books and/or blogs. Fine, well and good. That doesn't necessarily mean that you are willing to write (ghostwrite) for other people. Maybe you are, but maybe you don't write "for hire." The fact of a published book or blog also doesn't necessarily mean that you did your own proofreading (by the way, it's "proofreading," not "proof reading") and/or editing. You likely did your own research for said book or blog, but that doesn't mean that you would be willing to do research outside of your own field, for a client whose field is not your own. Again: Maybe research of all sorts is a skill you offer; maybe it is not.

Therefore, your being a published writer (blog? ebook? self-published? academic press? hardback sold in brick-and-mortar stores? fiction? nonfiction? children's book? poetry? art? memoir? successful? unsuccessful?) is not a fact that, on its own, tells a potential client what skills you might be able and willing to provide.

Diane S wrote:

Why isn't being a published author considered a skill? 

Is uploading a Word doc on Amazon and clicking submit really a skill though?

Diane S wrote:

Why isn't being a published author considered a skill?  

Because skills are abilities, and being a published author is a thing you've done. 

Imagine that a client comes into the marketplace and says "What can you offer my business?" and you say "I once published a book." That is not responsive to the client's concern--EVERY client's concern. Of course,the client may be able to infer from that statement that you are a writer, and since you've said "published" may further infer that you have reasonable writing skills (or maybe not, since being published doesn't mean a thing anymore).

But, how does that help him/her decide whether you're suited to a particular project?

On a side note that will probably be edited out, it's a bit concerning that a published author ostensibly offering writing services doesn't see the significant linguistic distinction between skills and achievements. That sort of thing is pretty important for a professional writer.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

"This profile is no longer available." -- I guess she left? 

In the absence of a meaningful readiness test, I guess passing a gauntlet of no-nonsense responses to silly questions is better than nothing.

Phyllis G wrote:

"This profile is no longer available." -- I guess she left? 

In the absence of a meaningful readiness test, I guess passing a gauntlet of no-nonsense responses to silly questions is better than nothing.

Maybe Upwork didn't think having published a book was a skill.

christopherlop19
Community Member

I'm having trouble with this, too.  None of you seemed to answer the question, which is strange.  I am a writer, too, but it seems to be both a profession and a skill.  But Upwork only defines it as a service.  What would you suggest is a good "skill" for a writer trying to make his way in freelance?  I'd like to complete my profile and get to work but the website won't allow that until I name a "skill."  Help me out, please!

Christopher L wrote:

What would you suggest is a good "skill" for a writer trying to make his way in freelance?

"Writing" would seem to be a good starting point, maybe?

writing.jpg

deleted mystery duplicate post

Christopher L wrote:

I'm having trouble with this, too.  None of you seemed to answer the question, which is strange.  I am a writer, too, but it seems to be both a profession and a skill.  But Upwork only defines it as a service.  What would you suggest is a good "skill" for a writer trying to make his way in freelance?  I'd like to complete my profile and get to work but the website won't allow that until I name a "skill."  Help me out, please!

See here for how to enter skills: 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211060318-Add-Skills?flash_digest=e921fc07f581ac5b9d157...

When you start typing, a list of matching skills will appear. Experiment until you find the most appropriate skills.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths