🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » "Summer Slow down"?
Page options
emmamclaren
Community Member

"Summer Slow down"?

Can someone explain what this "summer slow down" is that I keep seeing mentioned on posts? I dont tend to bid for jobs in the US (but have seen a lack of quality in them lately) so not sure if thats why I'm not seeing a slow down in work, but I find it rather odd that business slows down that much for an entire season?
10 REPLIES 10
luce-neidert
Community Member

I'm eagerly waiting for the end of the "summer season" to see what happens, as the effect of the Upwork new rules is not clear yet.

One thing is sure, I'm happy I'm not counting on Upwork alone to bring me jobs, as these last months haven't been too exciting.

I've picked up some great jobs in the last few months, but I do tend to stick specifically with clients in my country so could be why I'm not getting that issue? We only "slow down" over Christmas/New Year so this idea of a summer season is odd

Emma M wrote:
I've picked up some great jobs in the last few months, but I do tend to stick specifically with clients in my country so could be why I'm not getting that issue? We only "slow down" over Christmas/New Year so this idea of a summer season is odd

That's because Americans don't do summer holidays the way us Europeans do, or much in terms of vacation.

In Europe the summer is slow because most people go on holiday. In many countries factories close for a month or even more, as do many offices and shops etc. In most European countries 5 or more weeks paid vacation (plus 10 to 15 public holidays) are the norm. The main travel season is in the summer during the school holidays.

In Italy, where I live, the whole of August is essentially "holiday" (unless you are in the tourism business, in which case you'll have to make 70% or more of your annual income during August.)

Interesting. I'm Australian not American, so we don't do the summer holiday thing the way Europeans do either. But that makes a lot of sense! 

That's because Americans don't do summer holidays the way us Europeans do, or much in terms of vacation.

In Europe the summer is slow because most people go on holiday. In many countries factories close for a month or even more, as do many offices and shops etc. In most European countries 5 or more weeks paid vacation (plus 10 to 15 public holidays) are the norm. The main travel season is in the summer during the school holidays.

In Italy, where I live, the whole of August is essentially "holiday" (unless you are in the tourism business, in which case you'll have to make 70% or more of your annual income during August.)

Emma M wrote:

Interesting. I'm Australian not American, so we don't do the summer holiday thing the way Europeans do either. But that makes a lot of sense! 

I'm French. The French, like the Italians, are great at having holidays. And believe me, healthwise, this is a plus. In some countries, it's considered that you're on earth to kill yourself by working all the time. Not here. In some countries, the average life expectancy is going down, but we, thanks to our great wisdom, are not being affected. 

It genuinely is a thing.

Every year it's been slower in July and dead in August for me. Not just on Upwork but in general.  Maybe it varies depending on what you do - I write and edit - and perhaps where you are. 

But over the last 20 years, I only expect to have work in August if it's part of a large project booked way in advance. The (very) occasional work I do get is a bonus.

Traditionally, publishing and related fields close down in August, and even individuals have that in the back of their minds and so tend to hold off posting projects. (I'm not in the US so don't know how much it's a thing there.)

This year the dead time on Upwork has been shorter for me. There have been more viable projects and I started getting responses to bids again a few days ago.  Christmas and New Year don't drop as much for me  (although there is an effect) but that's balanced by the October enthusiasm for getting things done by the end of the year. 

Usually the two weeks around Christmas/New Year and the whole of August are completely dead for me, but this year has been weird. I was buried in work from Christmas until April, then got no work at all that whole month, then things picked up again and I'm having my best summer ever. You just never know.

I am absolutely getting hammered by work at the moment to the point where I am only just seeing the other side now. I only really notice a drop off around the Christmas/New Year two weeks, but that's more for new jobs - the ones I have don't tend to stop 

Christine A wrote:

Usually the two weeks around Christmas/New Year and the whole of August are completely dead for me, but this year has been weird. I was buried in work from Christmas until April, then got no work at all that whole month, then things picked up again and I'm having my best summer ever. You just never know.

I had the exact same thing happening to me this year, hopefully, I will manage to take two weeks off in September.

researchediting
Community Member

The summer effect in the US—and of the US, which dominates hiring on Upwork—probably has to do with our summer being the most popular season for vacations that involve school-age children, amusement parks, and/or beaches. While general vacation policy pales in comparison to European practice, two weeks is fairly standard and often increases with seniority (length of service). This leaves workplaces (relatively) short-staffed, with present employees covering for absent ones. While ostensibly this could have the effect of increasing the demand for outside help, in practice, it may mean that new initiatives, such as moving toward online outsourcing, are not taken.

The last quarter, up to and not typically including the winter holidays, may see an uptick in corporate and government spending, as departments make sure they have exhausted that year's funding, lest they lose it in some subsequent year. The first quarter may see new spending as a new year's budget kicks in. (Of course, not all budget cycles correspond to the calendar year.)

The (Northern) summer slump effect, whatever its causes, is regularly reported. Other factors, such as one's visibility rotation in client search, may exacerbate or mitigate seasonal dynamics.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members